Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
8,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...three shot groups.

But I don't care. 3 shots at 100 yds today through my Savage .223. Bone stock with the factory Nikon scope it was only $453. How can you not love a rifle that cheap that shoots this good?

HPIM3576 1000x1000.jpg

.24 inches with federal GM match 69 grain SMKs

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
That's impressive shooting at any price! Looks like you've got a winner.

You just doing plinking with it or are you planning on varmint/predator hunting with it?

·
Super Moderator
18,168 Posts
Nice group, I have a cheap old Remington 788 in .223 with a Tasco scope that likes to shoot groups like that when I do my part.

·
8,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's impressive shooting at any price! Looks like you've got a winner.

You just doing plinking with it or are you planning on varmint/predator hunting with it?
It's primary use is woodchuck eradication.

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Those poor, innocent, defenseless woodchucks!! {sarcasm}

Those little buggers don't stand a chance! Heh, heh!

That's some good shooting right there.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I take it you're talking about the Axis?

I love mine, even with a cheap centerpoint scope I put the first 2 rounds touching at 100. After that I was having too much fun to keep another in the group but if I make myself concentrate it's almost unfair for vermin.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I'm jealous of anybody who has access to a place they can shoot at 100yds... Nice shooting.

·
8,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Not too shabby Timmy.

I've been wanting a bolt action .223 lately. I have enough ammo around.

·
Registered
20,256 Posts
Hell yeah that good!
You can't go wrong with a Savage. Savage and Ruger are the only ones that make their 223 bolt guns with a 1 in 9 twist rate which stabilizes those longer bullets. I don't know what Remington is thinking anymore.

If you pay close attention to the stock rifle competitions, off the shelf Savage rifles are cleaning house.

·
8,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not too shabby Timmy.

I've been wanting a bolt action .223 lately. I have enough ammo around.
For $453 you just can't beat Savage. I think the gun is ugly and I'm not too fond of the cheap plastic magazine but I can live with it because it prints tiny groups.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
For $453 you just can't beat Savage. I think the gun is ugly and I'm not too fond of the cheap plastic magazine but I can live with it because it prints tiny groups.
I have been extremely impressed with my heavy barreled Mark 2 rifle. It is what I call "stupid accurate". It really is hard not to shoot well.

Savage really has a gem with their accu-trigger.

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Meh....seen better.

And it looks like you missed the bull two out of three times.

:wink:

·
Registered
220 Posts
...three shot groups.

But I don't care. 3 shots at 100 yds today through my Savage .223. Bone stock with the factory Nikon scope it was only $453. How can you not love a rifle that cheap that shoots this good?

View attachment 73857

.24 inches with federal GM match 69 grain SMKs
Nice shootin', that'll take care of those lil buggers.

That'll do it! You must have some awful big woodchucks if you're sighting in with 69 grainers! :tongue:
Meh...I was out deer hunting in a farmers field years ago and didn't see a darn thing all day until......this small little brown blotch went scurrying across the field.

180 grs. of .30-06 goodness put some groundhog on the dinner menu for the buzzards.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Nice shootin', that'll take care of those lil buggers.

Meh...I was out deer hunting in a farmers field years ago and didn't see a darn thing all day until......this small little brown blotch went scurrying across the field.

180 grs. of .30-06 goodness put some groundhog on the dinner menu for the buzzards.
Ya gotta dance with the one ya brought with ya!

·
Registered
42,099 Posts
Nice group, I have a cheap old Remington 788 in .223 with a Tasco scope that likes to shoot groups like that when I do my part.
Yep, got one myself with a 3x9 Bushnell Sportview. I used it to outshoot my son's tricked-out M1A. Maybe it was all the rifle/caliber, but I took full credit just to rub it in. Many a rock chuck in eastern WA fell to that rifle. After trying my .30-06 with 130 grain HPs, it was nice to actually see the bullet strike. No so much for the varmints though.

Reactions: msgt/ret
1 - 20 of 20 Posts