Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Grandmother passed away (about 4 years back) I was given a pistol that my Grandfather had brought back from WWII. He was a medic, and they were not issued firearms at the time. After a number of his friends had been shot, they started arming themselves with guns they would pick up off of dead or caprtured Germans. The gun that he came home with (and is now in my possession) was taken off an officer from a German camp that they overtook one evening. It is a JP Saur & Sohn 7.65 model 1913. It took me a bit of research to find out exactly what it was that i had. From the knowledge that i have aquired, these pistols are not very collectible. I was never really thinking about getting rid of it anyway. I am very sentimental when it comes to family heirlooms. Particularlly weaponry and fishing gear.

I decided to strip the gun down and inspect the gun from every angle. After doing a full cleaning and lubing, I am very confident that this gun is ready to kill some paper. I am looking for thoughts on whether or not this would be a good pocket pistol until I can get my funds up to buy the LC9 or BU-9 Nano that i am after in the end. I have heard things about 32 ACP being not as effective if you buy hollow point, and in the same breath, they said FMJ ammo will give you the penetration and stopping power you need.

This all started as a tribute to my Grandfather, and has ended in thinking of using the pistol as a daily carrier. Keep in mind, I have yet to even shoot this weapon. The accuracy and dependability factor has not been addressed yet. I am questioning the lethality of the round at this point. I can't wait to hear some feed back.

·
Premium Member
5,008 Posts
Sure would like to see a pic.

Cool story, though.

·
Super Moderator
18,488 Posts
High quality pistols, the Sauer & Sohn products. Take a look at where Sauer is now.
About Us : Overview

Extremely well made and well finished pistols crafted from quality steel. Some innovative designs are included in some Sauer models too including early pre-war lightweight Duraluminum frames and a peculiar safety lever centered in a trigger. The National Firearms Museum: Sauer Model 1930 Berhorden pistol Where have we seen that "safe-action" trigger today? Hmmm... Nothing new under the sun. Well, except for plastic components.

Be sure and hang on to the Sauer Model 1913. The various Sauer models are just now coming into their own with collectors. A free tip and you heard it first on Defensive Carry Forum.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Keywords=*J+P+Sauer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
High quality pistols, the Sauer & Sohn products. Take a look at where Sauer is now.
About Us : Overview

Extremely well made and well finished pistols crafted from quality steel. Some innovative designs are included in some Sauer models too including early pre-war lightweight Duraluminum frames and a peculiar safety lever centered in a trigger. The National Firearms Museum: Sauer Model 1930 Berhorden pistol Where have we seen that "safe-action" trigger today? Hmmm... Nothing new under the sun. Well, except for plastic components.

Be sure and hang on to the Sauer Model 1913. The various Sauer models are just now coming into their own with collectors. A free tip and you heard it first on Defensive Carry Forum.
thank you, good sir. I plan on passing all my weapons on to my children. Like i said, I am about as sentimental (heavy on the mental side) as you can get when it comes to family hand-me-downs. Almost every firearm in my collection has a story behind it. Everytime I squeeze the trigger on my favorite rifle (Remmington 30-06) I swear my dad is still standing right there beside me giving me pointers and safety tips lol

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Pictures would be nice. If it is in good mechanical shape I see no reason to not carry it.

·
Super Moderator
18,488 Posts
It will be neato to see the photos!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I started carrying a Colt 1903 in .32 acp that was left to me by my dad. The .32 acp, I would bet, is lethal. Like with any bullet where the bullet hits is what matters. Does it hit a BG as hard as a .45 acp? Well no it doesn't. It is not on my list of preffered carry calibers, which is 9x19 and/or .45 acp, but that is my preferrence. .32 acp ammo is generally higher priced than even 9x19. I stopped carrying that 1903 for a few reasons: 1. I only had one magazine for it and even if I had more magazines I dislike the magazine release on it. 2. Caliber/capacity. 3. The gun is not something I am willing to give up as evidence and possible never see again. As soon as I could I started carrying something else and ended up with a GLOCK 19.

If it is all you have carry it until you can get somethng else, but, yes keep it in your family.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started carrying a Colt 1903 in .32 acp that was left to me by my dad. The .32 acp, I would bet, is lethal. Like with any bullet where the bullet hits is what matters. Does it hit a BG as hard as a .45 acp? Well no it doesn't. It is not on my list of preffered carry calibers, which is 9x19 and/or .45 acp, but that is my preferrence. .32 acp ammo is generally higher priced than even 9x19. I stopped carrying that 1903 for a few reasons: 1. I only had one magazine for it and even if I had more magazines I dislike the magazine release on it. 2. Caliber/capacity. 3. The gun is not something I am willing to give up as evidence and possible never see again. As soon as I could I started carrying something else and ended up with a GLOCK 19.

If it is all you have carry it until you can get somethng else, but, yes keep it in your family.

i had not taken into consideration the fact that the gun may be taken as evidence if discharging the weapon becomes manditory. Looks like i need to really need to get busy with collecting the funds for my LC9 or BU-9 Nano then. They would have to pry this gun from my cold / dead fingers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will post pictures as soon as i get off work (in an hour or so).

the gun is perfect except for the grip on the right side of the gun. The top portion of it was broken some how. I like to think that my Grandpaw did it while wrestling the German officer before beating him into submission..... lol

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Beautiful heirloom Harold. Take a look at the Sig P230 or perhaps a P239. That way you can keep your war trophy safe at home, but still carry a gun from it's legacy to protect yourself.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
very cool gun and heirloom. Never sell it or Grampa may come back to haunt you

·
Super Moderator
18,488 Posts
sorry for the delay....... here are some pictures of the pistol in question
View attachment 75832 View attachment 75833 View attachment 75834

Yea KingHarold! Looks really fine to me! Lots of good blue finish remaining too. The holster is a neat accessory and it's nice to see how it was carried.

Here you are. Just in case you want to keep the original grips inside the holster while you take the little pistol to the range for "exercise." And, I'd sure be for giving it occasional exercise if I had it.

Sauer M1913 .32 Late

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
if you choose to carry it, and is forced to defend your self with it. you may never see it again. so that's something to think about, since you said it has sentimental value.

i don't carry guns that im afraid to lose. i don't mod my guns and i don't carry collectables/exotics. all my carry guns can easily be replaced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea KingHarold! Looks really fine to me! Lots of good blue finish remaining too. The holster is a neat accessory and it's nice to see how it was carried.

Here you are. Just in case you want to keep the original grips inside the holster while you take the little pistol to the range for "exercise." And, I'd sure be for giving it occasional exercise if I had it.

Sauer M1913 .32 Late
OMG!!!!!!!! thank you so much. I was looking all around, trying to find some replacement grips (just for aesthetics). Great price too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts