Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Judge 45colt/410 or the Bull Dog 44SP a better all around handgun?

My planned use for firearms would be; 1. House defense 2. CC carry 3. Range gun 4. Back up while hunting wild hogs 5. Hedge against possible future gun laws. note Number 5. is mostly a after thought, but could become a real problem.

Which of the two firearms is the best value?

Which is the most effective in intended roles listed above?

Which ammo is more effect 45colt or 44SP?

Is the 410 Defense round made for the Judge effective?

Can you find speed loader for them?

Looking for good info from folks that carry and use these weapons.

Thank you for your help!!!!!!1

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I think you you would find the Bulldog more practical for what you mentioned.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
292 Posts
get the bulldog
Agree 90%.

Reason for not being 100% is that I always see a fairly good selection of .45 Colt and .410 ammo, and don't see .44SP all that much. Might be different in your area, but it's something to check on before the purchase.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think you you would find the Bulldog more practical for what you mentioned.

Semper Fi
I agree, and I'm going to actually explain why unlike everyone else :hand5: docglock excepted.

Both are comparable firepower when looking at regular rounds, both the 44 special and 45 colt will give you effectiveness a little greater than a 45 ACP. Both hold 5 rounds, both are available for reasonable prices.

That said the bulldog is going to be quite a bit shorter than the judge, and lighter than the judge giving you a much better option when it comes to carrying it.

Neither are going to be great at #3 or #4, but the bulldog will be a lot better at #2.

When it comes to home defense, a shotgun is the way to go. A lot of folks like the Judge as a tiny hand held shotgun, but your still not getting the velocity or load of a full-sized pumpgun. When I say shotgun, I picture a 12 gauge pumpgun, not a 3" barrel 410.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Idk that Public Defender model looks pretty promising. I would consider one of those.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had to make the exact decision last month, and I went with the Bulldog. It was much lighter in the hand. I am waiting on Simply Rugged leather, but am carrying it in a cheapie IWB Don Hume and LOVING it. A lot of gun for the weight.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I think if I was to choose between the two it would be the Bulldog in .44 spl. Have been eyeballing them for awhile now.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Without a doubt I would go for the Bulldog... Now if you were considering another gun in 45 long colt, it might be a different story... To me the Judge is a novelty/niche gun, not a serious SD gun... It can be effective at 'arms reach' distances, but I wouldn't want to have to be that close...

A .44 special is a serious contender for the applications you are interested in...

·
Registered
93 Posts
The judge seems like a solution looking for a problem........

·
Registered
286 Posts
The judge seems like a solution looking for a problem........
For a person who doesn't train that much and just wants to get someone away from them, a .410 center mass is probably pretty persuasive:image035: People who are "into it" would be better served by some .44 spl JHP love...OMO...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I would go with the Bulldog for sure, I am just not convinced with the really usefulness of a 410 out of a handgun….

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
Quote Leon Harrison: "If you have to shoot somebody, don't use an ugly gun." E.G., "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defendant chose to use 'THE JUDGE' against that/this poor innocent young misled man, who had planned to marry the mother of his child/ren and stop being wild, and was going to get a job and go to church before he was murdered/hurt."

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Is the Judge 45colt/410 or the Bull Dog 44SP a better all around handgun?

My planned use for firearms would be; 1. House defense 2. CC carry 3. Range gun 4. Back up while hunting wild hogs 5. Hedge against possible future gun laws. note Number 5. is mostly a after thought, but could become a real problem.

Which of the two firearms is the best value?

Which is the most effective in intended roles listed above?

Which ammo is more effect 45colt or 44SP?

Is the 410 Defense round made for the Judge effective?

Can you find speed loader for them?

Looking for good info from folks that carry and use these weapons.

Thank you for your help!!!!!!1
I have three of the old style 44 bulldogs. I like them.:image035:
I also have the Judge.

1. Home defence; The 44 spcl round or the 45 long colt are both very good rounds. The difference in them is negligible in the real world.
I know that we can throw numbers around all day but 5 rounds of 45 colt com will do the job. Like others have said I'm not sold on 410 for home defence.

2. CC carry; The 44's I have are much easier to conceal then the Judge due to the cylinder length to accomodate the shot shells. That being said the judge is no heavier then my 1911 Government 45.

3. Range gun. I have always held that my 44s' are to be carried alot and shot a little. That is the way I feel about the judge as well. Don't buy either one with the thought that you can shoot them like a 22. They won't hold up.

4. Back up for hunting; 44 or 45 will do well in that respect. Thais is the area the judge shines. Squirrels or rabbits, the 410 does well. Something heavier go to 45.

5. Hedge aginst gun laws; Either one in my opinion.

I use my judge for a farm gun. Rats, snakes, squirrels, rabbits. But at night loaded with 45 colt I have no doubt if called upon it will do the job. If a man could have just one pistol, the judge could come in handy.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really really like the Charter Bull Dog best but when I found one in a large gun store near here they had no 44SP ammo. It is hard to buy a weapon that ammo is a problem before you even put down your money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts