Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I have just started working on a way to fasten a couple of magazines together. I really don't like the idea of tape for a few reasons so I'm thinking velcro. Maybe a heavy duty rubber band. Anybody doing this?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
IF you're talking about this type setup:

Depending on your environment, not such a hot idea IMHO.

The "open" mag has a lot of opportunity for dirt/debris to enter, then get into your rifle's action (my experience was desert, not jungle). Also, once trained reloading out of a carrier, either belt or a chest rig really, isn't that slow.

IF you're set on the idea, then go with SIXTO's recommendation and get a clamp, not that expensive.

Chuck

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
What are you Malcolm x?

Just buy a clamp ..Magpul mags I know have clamps just for them and many mags like the ETS mags have clamps build into the mags

And yeah unless you are about to go into a running gun battel uh why?

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Even around the house you would be amazed how much dust will accumulate in an open magazine. One good way to prevent this is to use a magazine cover on the one out of the gun. All you must do is flip the top off and slide it in. That said makes a good light weight rifle that much heavier and bulkier to use I personally don't like them jungle clipped.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Years ago (before they made the clamps) we used 100 mph tape to tape the mags together for our GAU-5's. I didn't like it then because of the sticky mess the tape left and I found that the extra mag seemed to get hung up and snagged very easily on any webbing or rigging inside the helicopter cabin. Good luck!

Reactions: GpTom

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
To echo the other posters - either a purpose-made clamp or a redi-mag will serve you well....if that is indeed something that you want to do.

Personally, I have a clamp holding together two magazines for my "turn out and repel boarders" AR. I do that for two reasons.

#1. The most likely malfunction with any magazine fed weapon is the magazine. It pays to have a spare.

#2. Everything I need to fight that gun is physically ON that gun. When something does go "bang/crash" in the night, I don't want to be rolling around on the floor, tangled up in a mall ninja tactical carrier attempting to "get ready to fight" - I want to grab ONE item, and be in a position to determine what is happening. If what is happening is indeed a violent and felonious assault with intent to do immediate and potentially fatal bodily harm to myself and/or my family, well then I want to have everything I need to respond to said violent and felonious assault. The reality of waking out of a deep sleep to react to an event in your house is that you will have time to grab ONE item and go to work. Myself, I want that ONE item to be a complete system. In this case the light, sighting system, sling, carbine, and spare magazine are already together and ready to go.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Where is this jungle that you speak of, and why are you set on having them clamped together?

·
Administrator
144,767 Posts
This is really sort of off topic to this thread BUT, since some folks have posted about tape and sticky residue and also rubber bands etc.

This might be a good place to mention these rolls of pure Silicone rubber.

It is available in rolls of various widths and comes with a sheet of transparent plastic on one side.

You peel the plastic off and then use it just like tape....pulling it tight over itself.

It then fuses to itself becoming a waterproof band of solid Silicone rubber.

Removal is a breeze if you just slit it with a knife. It comes off with absolutely no sticky tape residue.

I have two extra, loaded 22 magazines completely sealed over and attached to the stock of my rimfire survival rifle.

Covered, sealed, completely waterproof and debris proof and with a quick knife slice they are readily available and always with the rifle.

And with Zero sticky tape residue. I also have a ferrocerium rod (fire steel) sealed to one Kydex knife sheath.

Just a general helpful hint that somebody may find useful. Amazing stuff.

I bought about 5 rolls of the stuff on eBay. It is available in multiple colors but, I just bought the black.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is really sort of off topic to this thread BUT, since some folks have posted about tape and sticky residue and also rubber bands etc.

This might be a good place to mention these rolls of pure Silicone rubber.

It is available in rolls of various widths and comes with a sheet of transparent plastic on one side.

You peel the plastic off and then use it just like tape....pulling it tight over itself.

It then fuses to itself becoming a waterproof band of solid Silicone rubber.

Removal is a breeze if you just slit it with a knife. It comes off with absolutely no sticky tape residue.

I have two extra, loaded 22 magazines completely sealed over and attached to the stock of my rimfire survival rifle.

Covered, sealed, completely waterproof and debris proof and with a quick knife slice they are readily available and always with the rifle.

And with Zero sticky tape residue. I also have a ferrocerium rod (fire steel) sealed to one Kydex knife sheath.

Just a general helpful hint that somebody may find useful. Amazing stuff.

I bought about 5 rolls of the stuff on eBay. It is available in multiple colors but, I just bought the black.
I have something like that called rescue tape and it just sticks to itself. Forgot I had it. Maybe I should have explained that the term jungle carry just refers to fastening two or more magazines together so that they can be carried with the weapon. Just thought it would be handy way to keep the spare magazine.

·
Administrator
144,767 Posts
Where is this jungle that you speak of, and why are you set on having them clamped together?
Tarzan give knife to Boy....Jane carry GLOCK....Plenty Bad Ju-Ju in jungle...Tarzan need AR-15...no place to carry spare magazine in loin cloth.
Simba Matu-be Bwana.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Just thought it would be a handy way to carry the spare magazine. Jungle carry is just a term.
Gotcha. i wasn't sure if you were actually going to the Amazon or something like that. Since you're not I have no advice since this type of mag carry isn't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
One step much stouter than conventional Velcro is 3M "Dual Lock". I use it to hold shotgun shell carriers on the left-side of my social scattergun. Recoil WILL NOT jar it off. Yet it's reasonably easy to remove & re-attach. I.E.- going from slugs to buckshot. It's cool stuff just beggin' for...new uses! :yup:

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Premium Member
38,999 Posts
I've always regarded that configuration as the cause of more problems than it ever solved. It looks tacticool in the movies, for sure.

Reactions: Havok

·
Administrator
144,767 Posts
I just did a bit of reading up on th 3M product. I could find a few uses for that....not necessarily firearm related...but, in general.
:king:

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Personally, I'm just not into the idea of clamping mags together and I'm just not that much into rifles as I don't hunt. The one I do have, an M1 carbine, I've been have been advised that the use of double mags can cause excessive wear on the mag release to the point where it will not hold a single mag in place. Previous owner replaced the M1 mag release with the M2 version to accommodate the heavier 30 round mag. I just opted get a couple of the 30 round mags to supplement the stash of 20 round mags I have to go with it.

Even around the house you would be amazed how much dust will accumulate in an open magazine. One good way to prevent this is to use a magazine cover on the one out of the gun. All you must do is flip the top off and slide it in. That said makes a good light weight rifle that much heavier and bulkier to use I personally don't like them jungle clipped.
First off, with the exception of the spare mags I carry on my person, I have pretty well have eliminated the problem of accumulated dust. I quit pocket carry of mags recently and use a double pouch and for years I have stored my loaded non-carry spares in the surplus ammo boxes. On the rare occasion I need to "dust" the carry spares and the handgun itself, I use the garage compressor with the jet nozzle.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
back in the 1980's I tried my hand at taped together AR mags and during training, I decided that I simply did not like it. The rifle didn't feel right and I had several situations were the mag didn't seat/lock properly. Considering that ammo count is not likely to be the issue in any lawful self defense event that I might find myself involved in, I simply do not consider the idea of "jungle carry" to be very prudent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts