Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not your hard-core "knife person" but I came upon a pretty good deal on a site I was looking at for legal carry info. This CRKT small folder was recommended as a very good knife and quality for the price. So I looked at it. NICE. Available from Amazon for around $30 w/free shipping. Seven inches overall length with a 3" blade. Very sharp, very COOL. So unless you want something bigger or more expensive this, IMO, seems a good deal for an inexpensive pocket folder. http://tinyurl.com/hr32l7u

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've carried an M16-13Z for years. They are very good knives, fast to deploy, and the Autolawks works very well.

·
Premium Member
5,465 Posts
I love CRKT knives. Probably own about a dozen different models. Nice knife!

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Nice share.

IK-516109-Crkt benchmade D-2. This is my carry knife. Sure there are better ones out there. This is great everyday use for all reasons. Affordable for me and very nice quality. All Black & feels nice in hand with a great grip. Quality steel that sharpens great, opens quick & Works well. Recommend. :smile:
Only downside, the black chips off the pocket clip revealing shiny silver. Still conceals well.

The river knife looks nice. Only drawback I see right off is the Carson Flipper. Tried them and my hands are just to large to work that open correctly.

·
Registered
631 Posts
When I bought my camper I found a CRKT knife in one of the drawers. It has a good blade on it, was able to cut up a deer with it. Its my back up knife to my buck knife now.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Slight hijack here! Beware of Amazon (and EBay) knife purchases, especially popular knives. The "Third World" (China) is building terrific-looking fakes, right down to the paperwork & packaging. If you're not a savvy, magnified, knowledgable knife guru, they'll sail right under your radar. So it looks, feels, smells EXACTLY like a CRKT (Spyderco, Kershaw, Benchmade, Emerison, etc., etc.) but the steel is total junk & the lock will, when pressed, cost you a digit or two. And your lawyer won't/can't find a single soul...to sue. I bought an Emerson that was PERFECT (looking), except the factory had NEVER produced that particular model with a...blackened blade. I threw my "bargain" off an Ohio River bridge. :blink:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slight hijack here! Beware of Amazon (and EBay) knife purchases, especially popular knives. The "Third World" (China) is building terrific-looking fakes, right down to the paperwork & packaging.
I think this one is OK. It was linked by the site KnifeUp | The Knife News Magazine and recommended by same. Knife arrived in CRKT packaging with paperwork and receipt. Good to know, however, thanks for the China heads up. But like I said, I'm not a hard-core knife guy and $30 is about all I'm willing to invest in a pocket knife.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I think this one is OK. It was linked by the site KnifeUp | The Knife News Magazine and recommended by same. Knife arrived in CRKT packaging with paperwork and receipt. Good to know, however, thanks for the China heads up. But like I said, I'm not a hard-core knife guy and $30 is about all I'm willing to invest in a pocket knife.
Really wasn't implying that yours was a clone. And there ARE some pretty decent knives (i.e. Schrade, Cold Steel, SOG, CRKT, etc.) with some models made honestly/openly in China with internationally spec'ed steel types & Western-style quality control. My warning was (primarily) about "amazing" (re: cheap) deals on well-regarded knives on Amazon and EBay. IMHO, best to buy from a reputable, well-established, domestic dealer. It's worth...my fingers.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really wasn't implying that yours was a clone. And there ARE some pretty decent knives (i.e. Schrade, Cold Steel, SOG, CRKT, etc.) with some models made honestly/openly in China with internationally spec'ed steel types & Western-style quality control. ... It's worth...my fingers.
Oh, I didn't take it that way and in the initial write-up and recommendation I believe it is mentioned that CRKT uses some Chinese manufacturing so as to be able to keep prices on some models low. I think this is one of them but it seems of pretty decent quality to me. And to put you and your fingers at ease, it has a lock for the lock! :smile: A patent that puts a block on the locking liner so it doesn't accidentally close. I kinda liked that.

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
The Shrade knives that are Chinese made these days are very good knives. :yup:

I have tested several of them out in fairly recent months.

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
But, as stated above BEWARE of some very popular knife brands that are supposed to be Made In U.S.A. that are Chinese Knock-Offs and are far lesser quality that the U.S. originals.

Buy from a trusted source. :yup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had two of that style with the tanto blade. Gave one to my daughter to carry at college and gave the other to a friend when I was given a Kershaw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts