Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told ~4 months or SO!

The lady was very nice talking about the back log with immigration and homeland security. Not her fault, but still 4 months, wow.

Guess that is enough time to find out if I want another or different carry gun and which holster to buy

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Oh my - that is way too long!

I can't see either how the immigration aspect is any excuse as I thought this CCW stuff was almost always dealt with at local or state LE level.

Reminds me of Larry Ashcraft's recent long delays. I know I am spoiled here in PA - I mean - 30 minutes vs 4 months - shucks!

Anyways hope it'll go thru and maybe faster than the lady said. meantime yeah - get all set up and ready - and even practice about the house etc.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Does GA law specify a time frame? Here in Minnesota it's 30 days or you go down and they must give you a permit on demand. It's not like they don't have computers to do all the checking after all.

·
Registered
737 Posts
When I looked into a GA permit last year (I was stationed there and considered a resident for CCW purposes) they told me it shouldn't take more than a few weeks. If yours is taking longer, I would suggest doing some research. There's no reason for it to take longer than 30 days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
3 months for mine...

I applied 2 weeks ago. $90.00 for the process. Had to go into the basement jail to get fingerprinted. Interesting perspective I don't want to repeat in the future. The application is forwarded to the SBI and I will be contacted on/about 3 months from the application date to return for my CCW permit. This is in North Carolina.

Took a weekend course, 2 days of about 14 hours total, to get certification to apply. Learned some good things concerning self-defense The course was $75.00. Had 2 instructors, one a "Glocker" and the other a "XD'er". One of them was Chuck Shortsleeves. (no, I'm not making the name up) Anyone else had this guy for instruction? He had a ton of stories.

·
Registered
744 Posts
CCW Permit

Applied for mine here in NC Oct 04, was told six months, don't call us, we'll call you. Got it in two months.:danceban:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Weird how every place has different time frames. After I completed the course here in Arizona and mailed in the paperwork, fingerprint card, etc., I got my CCW in a little over 2 weeks.

Hope you get yours sooner than later.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I recieved my resident LTC-A from MA (Hampshire County) just two weeks ago and it took 47 work days whihc was almost three months. The reason for the delay as I was told was backlog and the holidays.
My VA resident CHP took nearly 60 days (Loudoun County) as due to paper work delays and errors by the county sherrifs dept. I actially had to get involved and communicate with the State Police and the sherrifs dept. to get it moved along as the magistrate had just let my paperwork sit untouched figuring the sherrifs dept. would get around to doing work sometime or maybe never.

A delay of 3 to 4 months is not unheard of, and is annoying.

- Janq

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I applied for my Nevada renewal in the Middle of December, My third renewal mind you, (it doesn't expire until May) but knowing the system the way I do, I figured, go early. Coming up on 60 days, still no renewal.

My experience here is anywhere from 60 to 90 days. They say they are back-logged and could be up to four months.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I applied also....the 4 months is the longest it could take.
She said in reality about 2 months.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Go to Packing.org and read the Georgia stats ... it's one of those odd states that takes forever and each county sets its own fees! Why one county should be allowed to charge a minimum and the next county allowed to charge a different amount confounds me, not to mention the severe delays in the process. Seems some rewritten legislation is called for there.
Jack

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bags,

You must live in the People's Republic of Atlanta. It took only 4 weeks when I initially applied in Worth County. I live in Dougherty Co. now (a much more liberal county) and have a renewal coming up soon. I hope it doesn't take 4 months.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Michigan says 45 days to get a decision...I applied for mine and 6 weeks later it showed up in the mail...no complaints here

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
FrontSight said:
Bags,

You must live in the People's Republic of Atlanta.
:blink: I hope thats not near the Peoples Republic Of Kalifornia !!! :gah:

·
Registered
998 Posts
www.georgiapacking.org will give you some info on GA carry stuff.

I've done the GA permit thing three times. The first time, the sheriff had me confused with a cousin that gets that used to get into a lot of mischief. The probate court judge was a family friend and straightened it out.

I renewed in the same county. The background check that time was "aren't you George's son?" and my permit was renewed on the spot.

My last renew was in a different county. There I stood in all of my police splendor, and I had to go from the court house to the SO to get a background check run and then to an ATM to get cash because they wouldn't take a check and then back to the court house.

If a county has an AFIS system the initial check should be done quickly. They are just dragging their feet on purpose.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
P95Carry said:
I know I am spoiled here in PA - I mean - 30 minutes vs 4 months - shucks!
Definitely spoiled here. It took longer to fill out the paperwork than it did to get the electronic criminal check and photo. Definitely something to be said about living in the commonwealth state of PA.

I find it hard to fathom 3 months or longer or never to get a permit for a law abiding citizen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts