Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like I will be relocating to the Sacramento area with my work in the near future. I never looked into CA gun laws before and was floored as I read. Coming from AZ, holding a CCW permit and frequently CC, I feel as though all my 2nd amendment rights are being stripped from me. I was disgusted when I read that I need "just cause" to file for a CCW permit. I guess protecting myself and family isn't "just cause" enough. This honestly really bothers me. On top of it all, my 13 round clips are also useless. I can go on and on, but I think everyone understands. With all that said, are my chances for obtaining a CCW permit as an average citizen pretty much out the window? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,794 Posts
Welcome to DC! Some CA folks will chime in, but inland it may not be as hard to get a license as you might think. Depends on the County and the Sheriff IIRC., but someone will have much better answers.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i moved from mostly non-issue California to shall-issue Washington State. much nicer here.

as for your situation: issuance of CWP's in Calif. is pretty much up to the local police chief or sheriff. if you can locate a county somewhere in the Sacramento area where the sheriff is more pro-gun, you have a chance. i would suspect that very few police chiefs will issue CWP's. good luck.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
A little googling indicates that Sacramento is perhaps a reasonably good chance to be issued a CCP "just because". But, there could be a long wait to get the permit. Get a letter from your local sheriff or chief of police in AZ before you go, attesting to your good character and past history with CCP - that should cut the residency requirement. (1 year residency to get a permit? That's so, so...well, I won't go there.)

Reactions: tcox4freedom

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was born and raised in San Diego Ca, but I was smart enough to leave. Your chances of obtaining aCCW in Ca are completely dependent on the county in which you reside. The Sherriff of Mendocino county has no problem issuing them to the general populace, while the Sherriff of Los Angeles county only approves them for celebrities and politicians. I highly recommend you research the area you plan to move to, and seek out a 2A friendly county...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'd say that "just living" would be a "just cause" for having a firearm and permit.

Reactions: Aceoky and Taurahe

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Time to get a new job.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I will never live outside of America. There is really only like 45 states in the United states of America. California, New York, Illinois etc flew the coup and left the union IMO. Metaphorically speaking of course.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well, hopefully you can start a movement to start voting in some common sense back into CA. I left there 18 yrs ago and have not regrets just becausse of the politics of taxation.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
So it looks like I will be relocating to the Sacramento area with my work in the near future.
If needing to work in Sacramento major metro area, check into the surrounding counties for where to live, as it's the sheriff of your county of residence who determines whether to issue your CHL. And there are plenty of decently rational sheriffs in the "wilder" counties in the state. You needn't simply live in Sacto county, not just because you work in Sacto.

I never looked into CA gun laws before and was floored as I read. I feel as though all my 2nd amendment rights are being stripped from me.
Many nanny-state prohibitions and requirements are indeed being dumped on you. But the CHL in California isn't that bad, once you've got it. Yes, you're forced to have secure storage. And yes if you get found out in San Francisco you'll likely get stuffed through the wringer (CHL or not). But a CHL from your county of residence is good state-wide.

I was disgusted when I read that I need "just cause" to file for a CCW permit. I guess protecting myself and family isn't "just cause" enough.
You're right. In California, defense of your very life isn't considered just cause. How that little bit of arbitrary lunacy ever got on the books, I'll never know. But it's there. Start crafting a good and decent statement. You're gonna need it. But keep in mind this is one of the main reasons the "wilder" (more rural) counties are worthwhile: they tend to have very pro-gun, pro-liberty sheriffs who appreciate having the assistance of an armed, experienced citizenry.

On top of it all, my 13 round clips are also useless.
Check to see whether existing gear that can be proved to have been owned prior to the 1994 AWB can be grandfathered/kept. Somehow I doubt it, but perhaps some of the CA carriers will know for certain.

With all that said, are my chances for obtaining a CCW permit as an average citizen pretty much out the window?
Outside the urban liberal liberty-hating hotspots, most counties issue CHL's readily.

Check out the CalGuns.net forums. Over there, there's a good section on CA counties and the relative ease or difficulty in being issued a CHL there. They vary, but mostly it's the urban liberty-hating hotspots that are verboten for anyone less than God or politically-connected folk.

Good luck.

BTW, I had a CA CHL for 10+ years. It was fine. Though, I was in a rural county where few were denied (only folks for cause, not for failing the arbitrary "sniff" test on the "just cause" element).

·
Banned
144 Posts
It depends where you are as it's county / sheriff based.
Where are you moving? Placer, El Dorado, Yolo, or Sacramento County?

I grew up in Commifornia. Lived in Sac. for 15 years.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So it looks like I will be relocating to the Sacramento area with my work in the near future. I never looked into CA gun laws before and was floored as I read. Coming from AZ, holding a CCW permit and frequently CC, I feel as though all my 2nd amendment rights are being stripped from me. I was disgusted when I read that I need "just cause" to file for a CCW permit. I guess protecting myself and family isn't "just cause" enough. This honestly really bothers me. On top of it all, my 13 round clips are also useless. I can go on and on, but I think everyone understands. With all that said, are my chances for obtaining a CCW permit as an average citizen pretty much out the window? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum! I'm a Kalifornistan native...lived there 50 years. However, I left three years ago and don't plan on ever going back primarily because of the anti-gun, anti-2A laws. The "just cause" law was passed by the legislature to give the appearance that they cared about our second amendment rights, but it is just lip service. The majority of the leadership in Sacramento are anti-gun to the point that they would confiscate all guns if they could. I hate to say this, but you have a better chance of being elected President than getting a CCW. Granted, some parts of the Sacramento area are more lenient, however in general it is almost impossible to obtain a CCW. That being said, you should at least give it a shot...but of course, the magazine limit is just another hurdle to overcome. Perhaps a job change instead of re-locating???

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I hate to say this, but you have a better chance of being elected President than getting a CCW.
Only in anti-gunner counties.

In the vast majority of counties, getting a CHL is fairly straightforward, if not all but guaranteed. One needn't reside in Sacramento County, necessarily, even if one works in Sacto.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
What about Team Billy Jack? Might be worth looking into.

Reactions: BigJon10125

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Team billy jack is very helpful. Look em up. I know it depends on the area up there, but I believe Yolo county sherriff will not issue. Check out handgunlaw.us. despite what many think they know, they do issue permits in this state. Your 13 rd magazine will not be allowed in the state. Some sheriff's accept personal defense, but some need some bs just cause. Do not try to go all "its my right" on them. The process for me was long and not cheap. After fingerprints, the letters of reference, the phone calls to my reference letters, the Russian novel sized application, etc it took about 5 months and $250...

Complete crap, but worth whatever hoop I had to jump through.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Also, I believe in Ca, if you do get a permit, it will only be for the county that issued it. It seems hardly worth it if you always have to be thinking if you're legal all the time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Only in anti-gunner counties.

In the vast majority of counties, getting a CHL is fairly straightforward, if not all but guaranteed. One needn't reside in Sacramento County, necessarily, even if one works in Sacto.
Then things have changed in the last three years. When I lived there it didn't matter what county you lived in...the entire state was "anti-gunner."

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Also, I believe in Ca, if you do get a permit, it will only be for the county that issued it. It seems hardly worth it if you always have to be thinking if you're legal all the time.
Absolutely incorrect. You are valid in the entire state and whatever states accept the permit via reciprocity (not appropriately named). As CCW9MM already stated, if you are forced to defend yourself in "the city" as northerners call it (SF) you will be put through the ringer. Damn hippy town.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts