Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the only time i think open carry is a good thing is when your hunting or out in the wilderness. while i hunt or just out in the wilderness i open carry my .45 in a fobus paddle holster at the 3 o'clock just wondering about others

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
Twenty five plus years ago whenever I was out in the woods say 15-20 miles from town I would OC my 357s in shoulder rigs mostly as that was the most comfy. I had my CC back then and would sometimes have my bug under my coat or vest in a cross draw rig on my belt. I would seldom see someone unarmed. I never had cause for concern from someone running away from me crying he's got a GUN!! Back then no one knew what a cell phone was.

Even when I was going to Rendezvous I always took at least 2 modern handguns with me. Just cuz. Ain't no way I wanna draw an empty .36cal Sheriffs model on a possible BG. And that's a fact Jack!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i don't really like cc out in the wilderness oc is much faster for me but a bug isn't a bad idea just wear to much junk while im in the woods plus ive got a high powered rifle or shotgun

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Always. 357 or 45 cross draw so I don't beat my rifle stock while carrying strong side. I've tried the bug as well but walking and climbing in the woods is exercise enough without carrying an arsenal.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
well i don't really like cc out in the wilderness oc is much faster for me but a bug isn't a bad idea just wear to much junk while im in the woods plus ive got a high powered rifle or shotgun
Well OP I was young and dumb back then. I wasn't hunting. I also did not wear orange either. Usually I'd have my 10-22 or fave 12G with me w/o a sling on either. I've smarted up a tad since. Then again I don't get in the woods much since urban sprawl basically wiped out the woods here.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
In the past I have carried a S&W Model 19 in a OWB holster, but it got a bit more rubs, scratches, and "hung-up in briars", than I cared for. So here is my new chest rig to try for hunting next year, also bumped it up to .44 mag.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Nice looking rig! I finally went with a Simply Rugged pancake for my Mod 19. Cross draw it rides high and tight. But I get the briars and vines issue. For me the jury is still out as far as the chest rig that can be had from Simply Rugged. Its a possible.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I went turkey hunting Saturday and I had my S&W 442 in my pocket.

For the most part, if I have pants on I've got a gun in my right front pocket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Almost anytime I head out into the wilderness archery hunting I carry. Not usually when rifle hunting. Either a G20 in a custom kydex holster, a S&W 629, or S&W 686+. Revolvers go in a Desantis pancake holster. I used to carry an M&P 9mm, but I scratched that idea when I had a mama black bear less than ten feet away when sitting on the ground (felt like a 9 would've just made her more mad). I also had a cub climb the tree I was in once and all I had was a bow.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Yup, luckily MI specifically recognizes right to carry with a permit , even bow hunting and such. Yes I carry.

Reactions: oneshot

·
Registered
20,634 Posts
I mostly hunt with a handgun, so yeah. But when I use a rifle, I never pack around extra weight.

During archery season I will pack a little something for the " just in case" scenarios.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Nice looking rig! I finally went with a Simply Rugged pancake for my Mod 19. Cross draw it rides high and tight. But I get the briars and vines issue. For me the jury is still out as far as the chest rig that can be had from Simply Rugged. Its a possible.
Thanks. Mine is from Diamond D in Alaska, apparantly they make a lot of chest rigs. They said to expect a 4 week wait, I believe I got it within 2 weeks. I won't know how much I like it until I use it a bit, I will say that you'll need to initially tweak the adjustments built in it so it hangs and fits right.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
the only time i think open carry is a good thing is when your hunting or out in the wilderness. while i hunt or just out in the wilderness i open carry my .45 in a fobus paddle holster at the 3 o'clock just wondering about others
As long as it is legal, I think OC is fine anywhere. But to your question, when I still hunted I carried a handgun. Back in the early years a revolver, then a 1911.

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
Carrying a handgun while hunting varies state-to-state as far as legality is concerned. In CT you can't carry a sidearm while hunting on state land unless you are specifically hunting small game with a .22. Here in AZ, bow hunters were not allowed to carry firearms at all until the law changed a few years ago... there are some critters out here who'd rather be the diner than the dinner. Now you can carry a defensive handgun while bow hunting, just no Contenders or scoped, long-barreled Redhawks, etc.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mostly everyone in my state carries when hunting. OC is perfectly legal in my state. In fact last year right in the middle of a large city at McDonald's 2 individuals entered with side arms dressed in CAMO. No one even blink an eye. Didn't think anything of it till I ate my lunch and drove a few miles down the road.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
I always carry a .357's when I go hunting

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I do, though I'm not really sure I need to most of the time.

If I'm hunting, and a SD scenario should arise, I already have a far more powerful firearm in my hands. Years of practicing follow-up shots has made running the bolt just as quick as dropping the rifle and drawing a handgun.

Also, my personal risk of an encounter is minimal, since I generally hunt on private lands with a very low predator population.

That said, the times that I do hunt on public lands, there's no doubt that I carry.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts