Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Texas CHL for... let's just say several years. My last renewal took quite a while and I was worried for over a month that I would be stopped with an expired license and not be able to explain.

My wife and I are now in the middle of our cycle where we will have to renew in a little over two years. I decided that we should submit for a Pennsylvania permit that is honored in Texas. We just did so. We'll see how long it takes to get it back.

The non-resident PA permit is extremely easy to obtain. The main point of qualification is having a permit from your state of residence IF your state issues permits.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
That's a good idea...I'm at about the same time cycle... Do you have a link or info. about applying for the PA permit?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think this is extremely pragmatic!

Unfortunately Michigan only recognises resident permits, so if I got a PA non-res permit (which I've been considering anyway) or any other non-res, it wouldn't matter in MI if I happen to have my MI permit expire. This is annoying and a little nerve-racking.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I would say apply for your renewal earlier.

I sent mine in last week and it’s not due until mid January 2010.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Man, Just went to the site....that is the easiest application process I have ever seen...Time to start my paperwork...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Man, Just went to the site....that is the easiest application process I have ever seen...Time to start my paperwork...
Sheriff Nau seems like a good guy. Pro 2nd and CCW. I've heard people say he went out of his way to help him with questions they had. I've also heard there are some Pa. counties that are resistant to issuing permits.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

I sent mine in last week and it’s not due until mid January 2010.
This is what I do too. About 4 to 6 months early just o be covered.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In Texas, at least right now, renewals take as long or longer than new apps. The earliest you can submit is 6 months in advance. It took over 4 months for an address change submitted in July of last year.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't mention in the original post but I have a need to occasionally go to West Virginia. This permit is good there where my Texas permit is not. Early renewal doesn't help that. :bier:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eleven days... It took eleven days. :congrats: That was including snail mail time. My wife and I both submitted the same day placing the applications in our Round Rock, Texas mail box on Tuesday, September 1st. On Saturday's mail run, September 12th, the Pennsylvania permits were in the mailbox waiting. :yup:

:image001:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... just realized that there was a holiday in that span of time. They got it done in 11 days in spite of the holiday.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Not sure how you guys handle the 4-6 month waiting times. VA law states they must issue or deny within 45 days. If not issued within the time frame you go to the county clerks office and get a defacto permit (which they must issue) to carry. Longest I had to wait was about 30 days for my initial permit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In Texas, the DPS tells you that you will get your renewal when you see it in the mailbox. Yes, there is a time frame of "within 6 months". Your first opportunity to renew is 6 months before your expiration date. The more you call them when that date is approaching, the pissier their attitude is. I understand that they are understaffed and have found a way to fill my needs and not make enemies at the DPS. That's what I call a Win - Win proposition.

There are still a few states not covered by the Texas and/or Pennsylvania permits. If I find another permit that helps me gain CC access to those states, I'll apply for that permit as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
... I just returned from teaching a class in the biggest democratic gun hating stronghold in the history of the "free" world. The whole time I was there, I felt naked without my firearm. The Bay area had beautiful weather but I was more than happy to return to the 100+ degree weather of central Texas. (actually getting rain upon my return in amounts not seen in these parts all year)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Fast Turn-Around

My PA non- res application was mailed on 09 Sept. The approved permit arrived today, 18 Sept.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts