Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have hd a Ruger p95 for several years. I recently applied for my ccw and found myself in need I a smaller weapon. Last week I purchased a pf9. The trigger pull is approximately 6 mules long but with that being the only safety it will be just fine. Gun functions great. Out if approximately 300 rounds the only issue I have had is one round that did not go off. The firing pin smacked the primer hard but it just didn't bang. I ran it through the gun again and it went off the second time. Other than that not a single ftf, stovepipe, etc. Great little gun for the money. I was considering a DB9 but I found this little gem. I am glad I picked this one up instead.

I also have an old faithful iwb holster coming for it. And I got a spare mag for it yesterday. I think I'm all set.

·
Registered
103 Posts
that was one of the finalists I had in mind too. I read a few reviews and watched A few videos where people were hitting the mag release button accidentally. I went with the lc9 instead. I am very happy with it.

-Jason

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have handled a few at gun shops and I love the way the PF9 fits in my hand. My dad has a P11 and has enjoyed it so far. No issues after it was lubed up. KTOG forum is a good resource for Kel-Tec specific info and upgrades. My dad and I did a little work on his to make it more ergonomic from some of the suggestions I found there. It turned out great. Much more pleasant to shoot now. We added a Hogue Jr grip and K-T pinky extension. Then I sanded the trigger down to be nice and smooth and heated it up and straightened out its extreme curve a little bit. Great little economic gun.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee.......the "Patron State of Shootin' Stuff!"

Most of the folks I have heard of that have them really like their performance. If it is reliable and you shoot it well, just keep packin' it!

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Sounds like you were lucky and got a good one. Mine was a POS and I'll never trust my life to a Kel Tec.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Congrats , I have the 9mm in hard chrome.

also a 3.80 , and .32 . all have been great

the 9 mm has been flawless .

they also have world class service if you should ever need it

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Congrats, if you got lucky on QC like I did then it will serve you well, if not you will be on here telling us what a POS it is with a few months. Seriously, no joke, some people get ones that work great like I did, others get ones that are barely functional.

What model did you get? I have the basic blued with black grip. I added a Hogue grip (huge help on shooting comfort), 20lb recoil spring, and Twisted Industries FO sights. The PF9 is a tremendously easy gun to conceal, if you can't hide it then you're either A) naked or B) hopeless.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
the fact that you either get a good one, or a piece of junk is some internet myth propogated by those that don't take the time to understand
the quirks associated with owning a Keltec PF-9. With a little research and elbow grease, you can avoid owning one of the POS I see noted
every time the subject of a PF-9 is discussed. My three flawless PF-9's.....that I made that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. It is the standard black on black gun. That trigger straightening sounds like a great idea. Getting my finger on the trigger is about the only problem I have with mine. The gun needs a bit more room between the trigger and the trigger gaurd. Other than that I love it so far!

·
Registered
26 Posts
?????????????????

the fact that you either get a good one, or a piece of junk is some internet myth propogated by those that don't take the time to understand
the quirks associated with owning a Keltec PF-9. With a little research and elbow grease, you can avoid owning one of the POS I see noted
every time the subject of a PF-9 is discussed. My three flawless PF-9's.....that I made that way.

Would you buy a new truck if you had to rebuild the engine to make it 'work'?????????????? There are better choices

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I got it for 1/2 price and it just needed a good cleaning and mabe minor polishing, yes. I have not seen many guns even the cheap ones that need a new engine. I am however a novice. I don't mind to put a little bit of time or work into something if it needs it. Fortunately my kel tec doesn't.

Nuff kel tec bashing.

I for one don't see how someone can spend 3 to 4 times more for a tool that does the same job. A reliable gun is all I need even if it is cheap.

I am like that with everything. I own a Chevy not a Cadillac.

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Had one. Never jammed for the 3 months I owned it. Fits good in a pocket. Got a bonus at work and bought a PM9. George Zimmerman used a PF9. You are in good company. :)

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
If you read on the Kel Tec forums, you sill see talk about the "fluff and buff", which involves a detail strip and takes roughly 4 hours to complete. In my opinion, this is ridiculous. The only mods that I've done to mine weren't to fix something that was broken, but rather to make the gun more pleasant to shoot (grip, recoil spring, sights). I would NEVER consider doing the F&B on mine, if I had significant problems I would send it back to KT as many times as it took to get it right.

Right now, I am dealing with their CS for the first time. My stainless barrel is rusting badly after less than a year, I called Monday and they said "send it in, we'll send you a new one." That's a $95 part on their website. I should have my new barrel within 2 weeks. The point is, they actually stand behind their warranty in my experience.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Had one. Never jammed for the 3 months I owned it. Fits good in a pocket. Got a bonus at work and bought a PM9. George Zimmerman used a PF9. You are in good company. :)
Unfortunately, George Z didn't use his brain that night...

And it "fits well not "fits good.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
How far is "six mules long"?

The Pf9 is liked by some and swore at by others. I have one for a bug and those times I can't conceal anything else. No problems with mine .

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
If I got it for 1/2 price and it just needed a good cleaning and mabe minor polishing, yes. I have not seen many guns even the cheap ones that need a new engine. I am however a novice. I don't mind to put a little bit of time or work into something if it needs it. Fortunately my kel tec doesn't.

Nuff kel tec bashing.

I for one don't see how someone can spend 3 to 4 times more for a tool that does the same job. A reliable gun is all I need even if it is cheap.

I am like that with everything. I own a Chevy not a Cadillac.

Thanks for the help.
If you are a shooter you know why you spend more. Long term reliability is just one reason. Many guns are fine at the range but fail when put to hard use. To see what I mean, enter a shooting competition with it. Just a little advice. You never hear those who can afford something claim that the inexpensive item is just as good as the more expensive one. I buy inexpensive guns at times but never claim they are just as good as something costing a lot more. That is the mantra of those who cannot afford something and are trying to cover that fact. You do not need to justify your purchase decisions to anyone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I loved mine up until around the 600 round Mark. Then the trigger axis seared in two and the trigger bar had been noticeably worn. Replaced those two parts and it was just like New. Put the +1 extension on and i loved the grip! It made it unreliable though. 3 ftf in 30 rounds when i had had 1 in the previous 600 rounds. I liked the grip so much with the +1 extension I just traded it for an lcp. I hated the grip without it on there. I didn't trust it with the trigger problems and the recent jams.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
How far is "six mules long"?

The Pf9 is liked by some and swore at by others. I have one for a bug and those times I can't conceal anything else. No problems with mine .
About six pound trigger. I was seriously looking at getting a pf9 for my ccw but strayed away because I felt I wouldnt be one of the lucky ones. Good for you for being one of the lucky ones. My best friend has one and he wasn't as lucky.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Congrats, if you got lucky on QC like I did then it will serve you well, if not you will be on here telling us what a POS it is with a few months. Seriously, no joke, some people get ones that work great like I did, others get ones that are barely functional.

What model did you get? I have the basic blued with black grip. I added a Hogue grip (huge help on shooting comfort), 20lb recoil spring, and Twisted Industries FO sights. The PF9 is a tremendously easy gun to conceal, if you can't hide it then you're either A) naked or B) hopeless.

Break it in, clean it, break it in again, clean it. Have an older mid-90's P11...zero issues...ever. My lovely wife purse-carries the PF-9. Snappy little thing, but she likes it. Also, zero issues. Break it in. Sounds like you're off to a good start. If your confidence on feeding is shakey, shoot the Corbon Pow'r balls. If you can find them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello. I have hd a Ruger p95 for several years. I recently applied for my ccw and found myself in need I a smaller weapon. Last week I purchased a pf9. The trigger pull is approximately 6 mules long but with that being the only safety it will be just fine. Gun functions great. Out if approximately 300 rounds the only issue I have had is one round that did not go off. The firing pin smacked the primer hard but it just didn't bang. I ran it through the gun again and it went off the second time. Other than that not a single ftf, stovepipe, etc. Great little gun for the money. I was considering a DB9 but I found this little gem. I am glad I picked this one up instead.

I also have an old faithful iwb holster coming for it. And I got a spare mag for it yesterday. I think I'm all set.
If you are a shooter you know why you spend more. Long term reliability is just one reason. Many guns are fine at the range but fail when put to hard use. To see what I mean, enter a shooting competition with it. Just a little advice. You never hear those who can afford something claim that the inexpensive item is just as good as the more expensive one. I buy inexpensive guns at times but never claim they are just as good as something costing a lot more. That is the mantra of those who cannot afford something and are trying to cover that fact. You do not need to justify your purchase decisions to anyone.

I didn't buy it to shoot competitions. I bought it to it a couple hundred rounds through and stick on my side. I will periodically shoot it to stay in tune with it but I don't planning on putting thousands of rounds through it. It is better than a knife and if when called upon it fails I will throw it at the attacker. A loaded gun on my side that doesn't work is still better than looking for and then bending over to pick up a rock.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts