Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On an impulse, after an afternoon appointment got cancelled I grabbed some WWB walmart ammo and hit the range. I was carrying my Glock 36 and my new S&W 637 Performance Center.

I started with the G36, and with about 200 rounds thru it since I bought it (used) I had my first malfunction - a FTE.

20170217_150453.jpg

I cleared it an kept shooting, but had another weird thing happen later.

I was firing, lost count, and ejected the mag with a round still in the chamber. So, as an experiment, I fired it. The shell dropped out thru the mag well and I then slapped in the fresh mag. When I tried to rack the slide, it was catching on something. I couldn't pull it all the way back. I tried a couple of times, then field stripped the gun to see what the issue was. I didn't see anything, put it back together, and the slide moved freely. I reinserted the problem mag, and it wouldn't slide all the way back. I inspected the mag and still couldn't find the problem. Just then the RSO shut down the range, so I backed away and reloaded both mags. When we went hot, I locked the slide back, inserted a mag an shot like usual. No more malfunctions after that. Any ideas what was binding?

I've been carrying the G36 a lot lately, and I will continue because it's just the perfect shape and size for me, but after 4 of them I can't seen to find one of these 100% reliable Glocks people rave about!

After 100 rds of .45, I moved to the 637. I knew it was coming, but man these Airweights are a handful! I bought it for a weak hand BUG, and I'm going to need a lot of practice. I shot it ok with my strong hand if I took my time, but weak handed I was truly terrible. I only shot 100 rds because I'm taking a defensive handgun class tomorrow and didn't want to develop blisters on my hand. Also, I need larger targets for weak handed practice. :blink:

Anyway, the main reason for the post was to see if anyone had thoughts about the Glock issues. The slide binding problem has me completely puzzled. In 30 years of shooting I haven't experienced a malfunction like that.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I had a 36 that did exactly the same thing, couldn't figure out back then what it was, the only suspecting part was the slide release that some how it moved, don't really know, I will be following this thread as I'm in the market for a 36 again.

·
Registered
20,097 Posts
The g36 is the one Glock that is known for issues.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had a G36 and never had that problem with mine but never felt 100% confident in it. There were so many people having issues with theirs. The FTE could be ammo related. Did you ever replace the recoil spring assembly? Mag Springs? I know the slide release is specific for that model.
I ended up selling mine and getting the .45 Shield. I know that is no help just what I ended up doing.
If it was mine I would replace the slide release lever, mag springs and recoil assembly since that is inexpensive to do. Then I would buy a few boxes of self defense ammo that I would be carrying and run that through the pistol to make sure it was 100%...if not I would hesitate to carry it.
Remington Golden Sabers in 185+P is a stout round for a shorter barrel. I carry that in my Shield. Corbon DPX 185+P are also stellar but may be hard to find

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
The G36 is a nice size and I tried a few rentals when I was considering a purchase, but I was always apprehensive about that inline (centerfeed) magazine. I've always considered staggered mags to be more reliable than the centerfeed mags.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't believe it. I'm reading a post about a Glock malfunctioning. The other night I was watching a YouTube of Colion Noir go thru a combat course with his Glock 19 and he had three malfunctions (one was a stovepipe) with his Glock 19. I was actually thinking about getting the Glock 19 and am still on the fence. I know its sacrilegious, but I am seeing a kink in the armor that says Glocks are infallible.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't believe it. I'm reading a post about a Glock malfunctioning. The other night I was watching a YouTube of Colion Noir go thru a combat course with his Glock 19 and he had three malfunctions (one was a stovepipe) with his Glock 19. I was actually thinking about getting the Glock 19 and am still on the fence. I know its sacrilegious, but I am seeing a kink in the armor that says Glocks are infallible.
I bought a Gen 3 Glock 26 that had constant FTE and brass-to-face issues. It was completely unusable as a CCW. After I got the problems 99% solved (new ejector, extractor spring assembly, and polished extractor), I sold it. Because of that gun and finding many other folks online having similar problems with 9mm Glocks, I'm sticking to the bigger caliber Glocks from here on out. Instead of a G19, I'd buy a G23. You can always get a 9mm barrel if you really want (or a .357 SIG, for that matter), but .40 is cheap and common enough that there's no real need to shoot 9mm to save money unless you shoot a whole lot.

That said, I have a Glock 42 that has been pretty good, and the only issues it has had have been with garbage Russian ammo, so I can forgive it. I had a Glock 43 that, if memory serves, I only ran about 100 rounds thru before selling it. No malfunctions, just didn't like the trigger at all.

For the record - my G36 was previously owned, but in very good shape. I have not replaced any parts on it. As I recall, I did some research and it seems to be a 2010 manufactured gun. Certainly a new recoil spring wouldn't hurt, and tonight I'm going to disassemble the extractor and examine it closely. As for the weird slide problem, I plan to recreate the situation and see if it does it again. As I said, I'm taking a defensive handgun class tomorrow. I was going to take my P229 or my 1911 (hadn't decided), but I think now I'll take the Glock and see if it happens again, and if not, I'll fire with the mag out to see what happens.

One thing I have to say - I love the G36. It's absolutely the perfect size for me, and I shoot it well. It has a slightly shorter grip than a G19/G23 so it's easier to conceal, and I love .45 ACP. It's the same barrel length and width as a G19/G23 so holsters are plentiful. It makes me realize why some people cut the G19/G23 handle down to use G26/G27 mags. I guess if I ultimately decide the G36 is unreliable, maybe that's what I'll do. Or go back to my comfort zone and just get a 1911 Officer.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
If you follow a lot of auto issue threads you begin to see an awful lot are shooting WWB when it happens. I don't know if it has anything to do with your issue but, I would not run that junk through any firearm. A lot of foreign ammo is much better than that stuff.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
If you base your intentions of getting a firearm based on Youtube videos and internet talk, you'll miss out on some good guns and/or believe the hype and end up with stinkers. Take it from a guy who has done that very thing in the past. Glocks aren't magical weapons or lore that'll save us all should the alien reptilian race invade our plant, no gun is. It's funny, in the past if you blasted a Glock you'd have thought you had spit in the face of every internet posters' mother. Now you're starting to see Glock trashing and "boring!..next" videos and posts. You may never see a Glock fail from now until the day you die, and I may never see a Glock that doesn't fail. If you stick with well known, reputable brands, then your chance of failures depends on what guy or girl was running the machines that day at the factory, and how well you take care of it once it's in your hands.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
If you follow a lot of auto issue threads you begin to see an awful lot are shooting WWB when it happens. I don't know if it has anything to do with your issue but, I would not run that junk through any firearm. A lot of foreign ammo is much better than that stuff.
For what it's worth, I've had the exact opposite happen. WWB runs 99% of the time flawlessly for me. Give me Tula or Federal Champion, and watch my guns beg for mercy.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why am I seeing red in that gun? Is that the follower? I've only ever seen black factory Glock mag followers.
I hadn't noticed that. The red is a reflection off the next round in the magazine. It was not actually red - it was a brass shell casing. The mag has a factory-standard black follower.

As for the WWB - it's possible it was the problem, but I don't think it's likely. IMO, the slide issue is almost certainly not ammo related, but the FTE could conceivably have been the fault of the WWB. However, I have fired thousands of round of WWB with no noticeable increase in malfunctions over any other ammo. Hell, by the numbers I've had far more issues with high quality JHP ammo that doesn't feed well in a particular gun.

That said, I agree with Dave909 that Russian ammo, especially non-brass case, causes problems with almost every gun I've shot it in. It's problematic enough that I've quit buying it because I don't know if the problem is the gun or the ammo, and I stop trusting my guns until I retest them with a couple hundred rounds of better ammo.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have to agree with your statement. WWB is known to be problematic. It's loaded pretty weak and I never buy the stuff due to the price being competitive with better quality ammo. My standard is federal.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Do you load + 1? The .45 Glocks are tight and the top round drags the underside of the slide when the mag is full.

My G30 is the only semi auto that I don't top off.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Check the number on the top left of the follower and make sure it corresponds to the correct Gen of your Glock. The only problem I've ever had with a Clock was in my G29. It is a GEN 4 and I was having FTF issues with it on the last round. It turns out the magazine had the incorrect follower for GEN 4; they were trying to get rid of Gen 3 inventory. Glock sent the correct followers to me and I've had no problems since.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you load + 1? The .45 Glocks are tight and the top round drags the underside of the slide when the mag is full.

My G30 is the only semi auto that I don't top off.
That's what it is! I just now put the 7 rd in and couldn't rack the slide.

I typically carry it loaded with the 6 rd mag and the 7 rd in reserve. Because it's new to me, I've never tried to rack the slide with the 7 rd mag in place - I've always had the slide back because I just emptied the 6 rd and was reloading.

I feel pretty stupid, but at the same time am glad it's not a unknown problem so much as a known issue.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's what it is! I just now put the 7 rd in and couldn't rack the slide.

I typically carry it loaded with the 6 rd mag and the 7 rd in reserve. Because it's new to me, I've never tried to rack the slide with the 7 rd mag in place - I've always had the slide back because I just emptied the 6 rd and was reloading.

I feel pretty stupid, but at the same time am glad it's not a unknown problem so much as a known issue.
When doing reload drills typically your slide is locked open so when you insert the next mag it is not pressing on the thin strip of metal on the underside of the slide in the middle.
However your next mag you are going to reload with still must be able to be inserted if the slide did not lock back. The poster was correct about the G30 and the G36 having a hard time with fully loaded mag when the slide is closed

·
Registered
280 Posts
Without getting my head chopped off, with so many Glock models, are there certain ones to steer clear of? Ones sure to perform better than others? I only own 9mm and .45 ACP and mostly carry .45. Can someone suggest carry models in those calibers?

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
When doing reload drills typically your slide is locked open so when you insert the next mag it is not pressing on the thin strip of metal on the underside of the slide in the middle.
However your next mag you are going to reload with still must be able to be inserted if the slide did not lock back. The poster was correct about the G30 and the G36 having a hard time with fully loaded mag when the slide is closed
Correct, you need to be able to easily seat the mag with the slide forward, in battery, when doing a tac reload. This is why I don't top off my G30. I also download the spare mags by one.

Without getting my head chopped off, with so many Glock models, are there certain ones to steer clear of? Ones sure to perform better than others? I only own 9mm and .45 ACP and mostly carry .45. Can someone suggest carry models in those calibers?
As long as you are aware of this quirk, they're all good. I prefer the G30 because, with the flush 9 rd mag (really an 8 rd mag) it conceals like a baby Glock (just a bit thicker). Use the larger mag if you want a larger grip.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
My Glock 36 is an early model right after they first came out. I carried it as a BUG on duty and as an off duty piece. The only time I recall having a problem was a UMC round that had a slightly bent case. I would lean towards a mag/followerproblem. This is why I have always marked my mags w/silver sharpie so it makes it easy to identify the problem mag. Good luck!

Reactions: Eric357
1 - 20 of 24 Posts