Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
It was about 1140, I was in bed. My wife had just come upstairs, when my dogs started barking. I looked out my bedroom window which overlooks the drive way and didn't see anything out of the norm.
I went down stairs to yell at the dogs assuming they were barking at their nemesis Mr Wiskers cutting across our front lawn. As I pass the front door, I hear the storm door. I call to my German Shepherd, who would like to taste any stranger at the front door. When he gets to me I grab his collar and like a dummy open the door.
There is a guy about my height, in all black standing there.
He says "hey man come out side, I got something for you"
I replied " no thanks, I don't know you"
He replied "yes you do my name is Jesse" as I slam the door in his face.
I yell for my wife to call 911 and run upstairs to rectify mistake number one, and grab my EDC.
As my wife is on the phone with 911, I can hear the guy talking to someone out side.
I don't know what they had planned, but the guy seemed determined to get me outside.

So after the fact,
I was stupid for going unarmed down stairs. I was even dumber for answering the door. It took about 15 minutes for the police to arrive. I'm sure if it was a shots fired call it would of been quicker.
I am glad I called Krauser to the door with me. I could see that guy didn't want to come inside with 105 pounds of GSD snarling at him.
The police here are good professional people. They have been patrolling very heavily since I called. I live in a quiet neighorhood, in the middle of a cul-de-sac. What ticks me off, out of 6 house, only the guy on the corner by the main street, and me leave lights on outside after dark. There are not any street lights in the cul-de-sac. So it can be pretty dark out.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It was about 1140, I was in bed. My wife had just come upstairs, when my dogs started barking. I looked out my bedroom window which overlooks the drive way and didn't see anything out of the norm.
I went down stairs to yell at the dogs assuming they were barking at their nemesis Mr Wiskers cutting across our front lawn. As I pass the front door, I hear the storm door. I call to my German Shepherd, who would like to taste any stranger at the front door. When he gets to me I grab his collar and like a dummy open the door.
There is a guy about my height, in all black standing there.
He says "hey man come out side, I got something for you"
I replied " no thanks, I don't know you"
He replied "yes you do my name is Jesse" as I slam the door in his face.
I yell for my wife to call 911 and run upstairs to rectify mistake number one, and grab my EDC.
As my wife is on the phone with 911, I can hear the guy talking to someone out side.
I don't know what they had planned, but the guy seemed determined to get me outside.

So after the fact,
I was stupid for going unarmed down stairs. I was even dumber for answering the door. It took about 15 minutes for the police to arrive. I'm sure if it was a shots fired call it would of been quicker.
I am glad I called Krauser to the door with me. I could see that guy didn't want to come inside with 105 pounds of GSD snarling at him.
The police here are good professional people. They have been patrolling very heavily since I called. I live in a quiet neighorhood, in the middle of a cul-de-sac. What ticks me off, out of 6 house, only the guy on the corner by the main street, and me leave lights on outside after dark. There are not any street lights in the cul-de-sac. So it can be pretty dark out.
Glad it turned out, alright.

But, I don't leave outside lights on, either. To this point in my life, I have not lived in fear of what is out there...it may be out there and it may be bad...but darned if I will my life in fear of it nor do I expect my neighbors to, either. If I am living in a neighborhood that makes me feel the need to sleep with my lights on...I need to move.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a fear of what's out there, it's the fact it's a dark cul de sac, and my neighbor and my truck have been broken into. Not being able to see which way the guy went after leaving my property makes it a lot harder for the police to find the guy also.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It's not a fear of what's out there, it's the fact it's a dark cul de sac, and my neighbor and my truck have been broken into. Not being able to see which way the guy went after leaving my property makes it a lot harder for the police to find the guy also.
Do you fear this will happen again?

I thought you said this was a good neighborhood.

Your truck is broken into...someone comes to your door and tries to lure you out....might be time to list the house.

Reactions: Doogie

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An ounce of prevention goes a long way. My neighborhood is quite, no where did I say good. Even though I wouldn't call 2 trucks getting broken into over three years, and this event a crime spree.
Not gonna feed the troll, have a good morning Shootnlead.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yes, I think lesson learn here, I live in a gated community and I want go unarmed, even thought the police live one block away, not that mean anything because he probably in bed so he can get up the next morning to protect.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sounds like my neighborhood. I also live at the end of a cul de sac with no street light. And have a post light and two carriage lights for illumination. Glad you are ok. Did the police ever find anything or anybody?

·
Registered
932 Posts
First, I trust my barking dog MUCH more than my own senses. Looking out a window & not seeing anything means nothing, especially if my dog is still barking all the while. Her barking trumps what I see or don't see.

Secondly, my EDC sleeps at night in a bed holster. If I'm getting out of bed because of a doorbell, knocking, or my barking dog in the middle of the night, it is in my hand at about the same time my feet hit the floor & will be with me through the house & to the front door.

If there is a need to "go back back to get your gun", it's usually too late at that point.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I also live in a very quite neighborhood but I have lights on all night. Front and rear of house. Why encourage thugs ect. to come to a dark area. A little prevention never hurts. Gun in hand at pounding on door at night. Never open it until you know who it is and not to strangers ever.

Rich

·
Super Moderator
24,996 Posts
I think your after action report covers some impulsive mistakes you'll probably never make again. I'm glad you called your GSD over. 105 pounds will make most ill intentions evaporate quickly.

The visitors probably learned a bit too, so while I might suggest they will avoid your house, you might:

1) Be alert in the near future, and

2) Discuss this with all of your neighbors

Welcome to DC!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
There's nothing like real-life experiences to learn from. Glad nothing eventful happened.

We leave front and back lights on all night. I figure there is some percentage of BGs who only want to do their criminal activity in the dark. If I can remove them from the equation, the chances we will get hit go down.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
EDC involves carrying everywhere, including inside your home. I make it a habit of always having a gun within arms reach. Everybody feels safe in their home, because its your home. Glad nothing happened but, if you are going to answer the door, answer it armed.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Never open the front door after dark.
2. Get a Ring Video Doorbell Pro and install it. (Amazon $249) It will video anyone on your front step.
3. Buy some LED light bulbs that use <10w and light the outside of your home so when you are inside a dark home you can see outside.
4. Take your car keys to bed with yo and if someone is out there call 911 and then set off the panic alarm on your car in the driveway.
5. Never open the front door after dark. Even if you are armed.
6. Buy a 12ga. pump shotgun if you don't have one.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
The dog imo deterred what that POS had in mind. You learned a hard lesson I hope. I had someone try to lure me outside once when we lived near Philly. Turned out it was one of a pair, after we had sent him to jail for 6 months. Looking for payback. I was armed then luckily. The detective from the case had words with the guy and we never seen either of them again. He was a burglar with a history of indecent exposure. So the night he was arrested initially we don't know if his intent was home invasion, burglary or sexual assault. My wife had been home with the kids asleep, I was at work all night. When this punk demanded entry or his words... "Let us in or we'll kill your "blanking"kids". Wife did not unlock the door and called 911. Response time was less than a minute Thank God. We had a great police department there..

Be prepared, wife and kids too in case that guy returns...

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Glad nothing bad happened. I think you did the right thing with the dog, the wrong thing with opening the door, the wrong thing not getting a photo (see the Ring Doorbell offer, we got two!)

In your defense, when you're not fully awake your cogitation is low.

Lessons learned!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
We learn from our mistakes. Glad you weren't harmed.

Reactions: Bigwim

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I would have let the dogs out the front door and opened up a bag of popcorn. But that's only because my dogs would have demanded first dibs on the BG.

Glad it turned out ok for you though.

A friend of mine recently got a knock at the front door and while the front door BG was
occupying his time with BS a 2nd BG was looting tools from his garage.
His (beautiful black,& very intimidating) Male German Shepherd called notice to something out back and the friend excused himself from the front door BG for a moment, grabbed his 629, and met up with the 2nd BG in the garage...held him at gunpoint on the ground until LEOs arrived, then the guy gave up his accomplice, who they arrested within the hour. Sometimes a big dog and a big gun do come in handy. But there's just nothing better to have around than a big dog....or three!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have to deal with issues in my work. Most do not see what we deal with and do not even hear about it unless it involves a death.

Well I have some bad news for the old timers on here as well as the youngsters. This is not the same world any of us grew up living in. Things are much different these days. We have the druggies looking for a quick grab that they can sell for drug money. We have the drug crazed people that are so messed up that they are willing to kill to get what hard working people have. We have the welfare thugs that grew up getting government money much the same as their parents did but the money is not good enough for them to own the 24 inch chrome wheels on their retired 1996 Ford Crown Vic police cars they bought for $300 at public auction. These people want money. They are not the ones that rob the liquor stores yet but they are working their way up. These are looking for the home invasions for quick access and exit.

Darkness is in their favor and it is against the homeowner. If you cannot see them but turn a light on, they they can see you. Light discourages pilfering. I have large lights in both the front and back yards that are on all the time when it is dark. My garage doors are down all the time and there is a light over my vehicle in the carport that stays on 24/7. I live in an upper class area that has been almost crime free but in the last year, there have been three invasions and 61 vehicle break ins.

People no longer leave their doors unlocked as we did 50 yrs ago. An unarmed person is an unwittingly accomplice to the thugs. You may not be armed but the thugs will be even if it is just with a baseball bat. You do not know where theywill strike or what they are willing to do but they know their limits as well as their fears and their biggest fear is messing with an armed person.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
No shots fired.
No injuries.
No property damaged.

That's about as good as it gets.

My bet is that "Jesse" won't be coming back for round 2.

Reactions: farsidefan1
1 - 20 of 55 Posts