Defensive Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Looks like a great knife for a BOB! I have been considering replacing my Glock field knife that resides in my BOB with an LMF.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
looks like an amazing knife for a BOB. i think i know what im going to ask for for fathers day :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love Gerber

I'm a big fan of Gerber's blades. They have an excellent build quality, as well as quality of steel and ability to hold an edge.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also ordered a black one! If it's good enough for the military to issue it,it's good enough for me!

·
Administrator
144,858 Posts
It is one of the better quality basic 420 Stainless knives out there. I do not believe that the LMF was always made with 420. ???
However...The serrations in that location would absolutely make it a "no go" for me personally for a serious "only" survival knife.
There are just way too many actual use times that you will find yourself needing and wanting a non-serrated edge in that exact blade location.
I agree that it would be an OK Bug Out Bag addition that is admittedly better than some others.
The handle is well designed and ergonomic and reportedly damn near indestructible and that is a plus. Some folks have managed to damage the handle but, it held up fine when I beat it up a bit.
The well thought out sheath is somewhat of a minor miracle compared to most of the total crap factory supplied sheaths that are furnished with knives these days.
So that is also a plus.
With a blade length of not quite 5" I would consider it to be only semi-suitable as a "one and only' woodcraft/survival knife where you would be processing wood and fabricating shelter and performing heavier knife tasks.
It certainly is not my intention to be a "rain on the parade" party pooper but, (as the above video is titled) I just do not believe that it is THE BEST "SURVIVAL" knife for the money.

I should add that I have used/tested the LMF and for those folks that actually like blade serrations - if you are right handed (as most folks are) the serrations SHOULD BE on the opposite side of the blade. Why did Gerber DO that? AKA put them on the flip side? :confused: I have absolutely no idea. ???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts