Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing around eBay looking for a knife that was made back in the '80's. I've wanted one since I first laid eyes on it over 25 years ago.

Now I have one. :image035:

It's a Kershaw 1005 Survival knife. Kershaw says that there wasn't enough demand for this knife so they discontinued its production in 1988.

It has a 6" blade and the blade is mated to basically a length of pipe with a screw in cap that holds the usual goodies, ie. fishing line, hooks, water-proof matches etc. The pipe handle is covered in very heavy rubber with finger grooves. There is also a lanyard hole which is also covered in the rubber coating.

The blade is wide and thick; 1/4" thick. It has saw-teeth on the spine which are so aggressive that without the protective plastic cover on them they would chew up the sheath in about a day. These are the only saw-back teeth I've seen on a survival knife that is actually capable of cutting down a small tree, or hell they would slick through bone like it was melted butter. There are two rows of them and they have a 'cross-cut' shape much like a good cross-cut saw only more aggressive and deeper. The top 'false edge' on the tip of the knife is not false at all. It has a very sharp edge to it. :image035:

The sheath is ballistic nylon with something sewn inside it to make it rigid. The knife fits into the sheath then a flap closes over the handle of the entire knife with velcro and a quick release buckle to secure the sheath closed. The sheath also contains two pockets which contain a Brunton compass, instructions for using the compass, Band-aids and first-aid ointment as well as a set of plastisized printed cards with survial tips. And actually it's a rather well put together list of things to stop and think about in order to survive in the wilderness.:yup:

Needless to say I'm a very happy camper. This knife is going to go into my short-term BOB and hopefully never get used. But Hot Dam I finally got one. :banana:

The knife sold for $125.00 when they were new, I've watched them sell on eBay for between $140.00 up to $250.00. I got mine for $152.50. :image035:

If the knife interests you they are available on eBay. Do a search for Kershaw Survival Knife. I see three as I write this.

And before you ask or start making derisive remarks, pics are below.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Good score, acparmed! You're not just woofin' about those saw teeth...looks pretty agressive :image035:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Cooool! I like that, nice find.

·
Banned
318 Posts
Good choice.

The Kershaw knife of that general style was one of the few production made ones that were practical in design and construction.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Looks like a good knife. Appears it will be a good addition to the BOB.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Awesome serrated back Bob - potential huge ouch!!

Looks like patience paid off - great knife to have for back-packing in particular I'd reckon.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have one of those in my travel trailer. Been carrying it around for a lot of years. You will enjoy it.

Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
kershaw Survival...

I was looking for one of those... but I lucked into a Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor survival blade that was designed by/for the SAS.

I'm glad I picked it up as Wilkinson Sword just closed shop after 400+ years in the sword/knife business.

Kershaw blade is a great one though....:congrats:

Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
THe Kershaw 1005 is one of the best knives I have ever owned. I have a Gerber BMF, which I have used in the woods for years, but it was misplaced.
I found the Kershaw one day when I was at a local second hand store, and picked it up for $25. IT was to date, the best buy I have ever made.

I bet you'll love yours :)
MrCoffee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts