Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concealment does require/impose limitations - I think most would agree that a ''full size'' is about on the limit - whether 1911, 1911 derivative, or maybe something like my SIG 226.

However - if concealment was no problem - what might you choose? I am not thinking so much of open carry - as concealed but - with plenty of means for garment cover - let's imagine a long coat.

I would greatly like to carry my 629 - and have done now and again - but it does take some ''housing''!! I also would favor something even larger - like an ''Alaskan SRH''.

First comment might be - too big - too large a cal' - too hard to control etc. However my thinking is partly based on the effectiveness (potential) of just one, maybe two shots, from a large cal piece. Could be, some figure this is covered by .357 SIG for example but if your choice was free and easy - what ''might'' you choose?

This is a bit like comparing several rapid (and more easily controlled) shots from say, a .45acp platform or a bunch of rapidly delivered 9mm's .... with a slower delivery of something very effective!! :wink:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I shoot best with a K or L frame sized revolver, and I find 4" barrels optimal. But I have the damndest time concealing such a gun, especially with so many of the holster makers out there who only do semiautomatic service pistols and 1911s.

I don't think of such a gun as being big, but a lot of people I've known say these very words "What a big gun."

Sheesh I'd like these people to see a S&W 500 but I digress.

I'd like to carry a matching pair of something like my 686, and if I could wear a heavy cover garment or two and never have to take it off, I could! I'd need a XXL and tall long coat. XXXL would be too large for me, but I've historically found XXL and tall cut garments are very loose on me without being so big they don't fit at all.

It's probably best that it's not practical though... I can just imagine the jokes.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about carrying ''Little and Large'' ??? :biggrin:

One is of course primary - other is slipped in pocket as BUG LOL ... :tongue:

Excuse the flippancy !!! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Nuff said...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
or this lil bundle of joy...

Cause it would come in this nifty lil tote device.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahaha - now we are rockin' :tongue: :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
and if there was a need to go the bling bling route.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG!! That is ''Blingworthy'' in the extreme - in fact - obscene! LOL :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
APachon said:
and if there was a need to go the bling bling route.
That would look at home on the dashboard of a pimp's ride.... :biggrin:

Seriously, I would carry exactly what I carry now, a 5" 1911. And maybe a backup. And maybe one of them nifty attache cases. And maybe... :wink:

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Great thread

APachon...That's not Bling Bling...That's beautiful.
There IS a difference between high quality engraving & a nice gold monogramme & "Bling~Bling" folks!
That is actually quite tastefully done. The engraving & inlay work is super nice.
Must have cost...geepers...30 grand??? MORE...maybe??? ~ for the engraving?

P95Carry ~ Nice as Hell photo!

For me...I think a full size 1911 & a few spare mags is about as heavy as I want to go for Pennsylvania...Small Town Personal Defense Armament.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Deff bling bling on that mp-5 just something wrong with having one engraved kind of like a glock its jsut something you dont get engraved

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I would choose a PDW of some sort in a pistol caliber.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'd still carry what I do now - a S&W 640 or a .45 auto USPc. They're effective, reliable and wieldy in close quarters.

Just for kicks, I did once conceal my 6" 686+ under a suede blazer. It takes a lot more effort to unholster, something I don't want to go through if I need to use it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If I get a coat, I'm going rifle all the way. Screw the pistol if I have a choice.

I'm thinking Para-sized FAL.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The largest I have gone is my FN Five-seveN which has the same foot print as a full sized 1911. With a spare mag I have 41 rounds of 2,100 fps firepower. I just acquired another 4" Springfield Light Weight Champion. The slide is Black and the frame OD Green. I now have a matching pair. I am thinking about the "New York Reload" holster made by Bell Charter Oaks. It positions both guns side by side with the grips facing away from eachother. When you wear it on your strong side, you have a strong side draw and a cross draw for the spare gun. My two LW Champions together only weigh 5 oz. more than an all steel full sized 1911.

MadDog

1 - 18 of 18 Posts