Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sun was out and its an unseasonably warm 34 degrees so I decided to go out and shoot a low round count range day and see how rusty I am getting after only shooting 15 rounds over the last 3 months (not including my pellet pistol).

First up I shot the wizard drill using my "J frame" (Rossi stainless M88 to be exact) from appendix using a zipped up polar fleece vest cover garment.
Then I shot the same drill using a 4" K frame (model 10) carried IWB at 3:00 with the vest open.
All shots started with hands on head. All shots double action of course.

J frame in green w/ times and yardage. 2.01 to 2.20 seconds.
K frame in red w/times and yardage. 2.00 to 2.28 seconds.

Did not pass either one as you can see. Really threw the 2 j frame 10 yard shots way left.

Next I decided to shoot the same time and distance as the wizard but, all shots on a shot-n-see target.

J frame in green. 1.17 to 2.25 seconds
K frame in red. 1.10 to 1.66 seconds

No bragging rights today. I felt really slow even though I beat the timer on all 10 shots I lost 4 shots out of 10 on accuracy. The one J frame shot that broke the head circle line (with a tumbler) I counted as a hit. I don't know what that 7 yard one handed K frame shot was all about. That is the one shot that bothered me the most today.

Time wise not much difference between the two. Accuracy wise I think the K gets a slight edge because of those thrown body shots with the J. At least the K frame shots stayed closer to center line on the body on the first wizard.
On the shot-n-see the K frame is obviously the winner in both speed and accuracy and I am warming up as I shoot.
This is the reason a cold drill tells you more about where you stand than a warmed up drill.

What I did notice having never shot these PPU semi wadcutters in the 2" barrel is I had 4 that tumbled from relatively short distance. One from 3 and 5 and 2 from 10 yards. I thought that was pretty crappy as I have not seen any other ammo tumble? It leads my barrels like crazy too so I won't be buying it again. Unfortunately I still have 420 rounds of it so I will be scrubbing barrels for quite a few practice sessions to come.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
For me, bragging rights is being real. Cold starts are probably a true test as difficult as the results may be ...and yours are very acceptable under the conditions. We all tend to strive for performances that look great on paper, but any of those holes will open someone up !!! I say well done and thanks for sharing your efforts. Wish I had a place to do that !!!

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Everyone can have a bad day. Now you know you can’t go three months with minimal work. (y)

The good news is, you put a little work in and it all comes back together quickly. It’s not like riding a bike, but a break in training doesn’t cost you all your skills and sometimes it’s good to get a wake up call; especially when it’s not life and death on the line. My guess is you are tuned back up in no time.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Wish I had a place to do that as well. Can't shoot from the holster at the indoor ranges here. Looks like all viable hits, which is what's important. As far as I'm concerned, those are good hits for having a long lay off.
If you get the laser cartridges like Strikeman or others, you can practice safely in the privacy of your own home.
Not as good as live fire but will save your precious ammunition and help with your draw and accuracy.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
IS the Strikeman a new product ??? Their site says pre-order for March shipping...
Looks pretty interesting...

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Chris, considering that probably a super high percentage of people that carry a gun couldn’t make the hit or the time limit from concealed, and that’s with an auto loader with a lighter trigger, I’d say you are in good shape.

To even be able to draw from concealment and put rounds anywhere on the head inside of 2.5 seconds from 3,5,and 7 yards is not exactly an easy thing to do.

I need to run a few myself from AIWB as I’ve kind of neglected that myself.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
IS the Strikeman a new product ??? Their site says pre-order for March shipping...
Looks pretty interesting...
I have a feeling it is a lot like ammo and guns, unobtainium.
You can are, were able to buy various laser cartridges on Evil Bay (Ebay) sure the supply is stained or dried up now, keep looking.
Strikeman isn't the only thing out there and the phone apps, or some of them at least are free or pay for added features.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
BB and pellet guns are another option for practice.
Many are in the form of popular handguns, look and pretty much feel the same.
Recoil is nonexistent , but oh well, you can't have everything.
Besides, they bring you back to your childhood.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you do any dry fire or manipulation drills?

I swear by that stuff and stay on it pretty regular, especially now that no oneis getting as many live reps as previous years.
I have to admit I have neglected any dry fire stuff for a pretty long time. I used to do dry fire for smoothing out my trigger press. I should replace my snap caps as the "primers" are pretty worn.
Any specific dry fire drills you would recommend?

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
From the 3 and 5 yard marker i shoot with strong hand only. It seems to be much quicker for me because I can begin my trigger squeeze immediately without taking time to acquire the two hand hold.
But from the 7 yard line, I have to do support hand or I will pull the shot with the snub.

I think pulling from the pocket buys me a little time.
Funny really how much time there is in 2.5 seconds when you really start breaking it down and how much little things make a difference.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I have to admit I have neglected any dry fire stuff for a pretty long time. I used to do dry fire for smoothing out my trigger press. I should replace my snap caps as the "primers" are pretty worn.
Any specific dry fire drills you would recommend?
I have to stay on dry fire because I can get in a habit of cranking on a trigger and putting too much other input from my hand into the gun. I’ll run a trigger over and over balancing a dime on the front sight. I shoot characters on tv in the eyes a lot too. I have a sticker stuck on the wall 7 yds. from my chair.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From the 3 and 5 yard marker i shoot with strong hand only. It seems to be much quicker for me because I can begin my trigger squeeze immediately without taking time to acquire the two hand hold.
But from the 7 yard line, I have to do support hand or I will pull the shot with the snub.

I think pulling from the pocket buys me a little time.
Funny really how much time there is in 2.5 seconds when you really start breaking it down and how much little things make a difference.
I shoot the 7 yard one handed and the 7 is where I really start to take longer on sighting the gun. At the 10 yd I am very conscious of time.
I am going to try an experiment next time and color in the whole head circle with a marker. I think with my ageing vision picking out that fine line on the circles is getting harder to pick up and I am taking longer to line up sights. If I had slowed down just a half second on the shoot-n-see and think I would have had really decent groups. I had plenty of time to spare.
I know any of my hits today would at least likely alter the attackers trajectory I still like to improve and analyze my weak points.

·
Registered
13,761 Posts
So that's why everyone has been pushing hi-caps. If you can't hit for crap, you can just shoot more rounds! It's the law of averages.

But then there's that saying, "You can't miss fast enough to win." I love that!
I have been saying that for a while. The gun games really push hi caps, you can't be competitive without one. So many of the competitors feel that they really need 20+1 for any fight. I even fell victim for a time.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
I have been saying that for a while. The gun games really push hi caps, you can't be competitive without one. So many of the competitors feel that they really need 20+1 for any fight. I even fell victim for a time.
It’s very easy to get caught up in that because there is some logic to it.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
I failed the drill badly several times today both hits and times. Dang it, I always fail anyway, but it was worse today. Rusty. I ran it with my Shield 9 and with my Ruger LCPII. The only bright spot -- no misfeeds or jams one-handed shooting, which is one of my main concerns with the little .380. Then I shot a few more rounds w/ my .45, but not many. Dang ammo shortage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts