Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New arrival... care package from Powder Valley. This came in and I had not gotten around to getting it out of the box, until today...it has been sitting out by the front door since I took it from the FedEx guy.
These powders have been largely unavailable to me for the better part of 2yrs...was getting pretty low on them...glad to have them.

Contents...

8lbs...HP38
2lbs...W296
1lb...W748
1lb...H335

Small pistol primers 5K
Large pistol primers 5K

The BL-C(2) was a local find from the other day.

20160718_004739.jpg

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Your a trusting person to leave that at door. Neighbor had a mower (Unassembled in box) left at their front door, and someone came by and took it, His "RING" security door bell got it all on camera. So he posted it and the Neighbor who took it returned the next day so as not to be prosecuted for theft ! Sad world when you can't trust neighbors !

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your a trusting person to leave that at door. Neighbor had a mower (Unassembled in box) left at their front door, and someone came by and took it, His "RING" security door bell got it all on camera. So he posted it and the Neighbor who took it returned the next day so as not to be prosecuted for theft ! Sad world when you can't trust neighbors !
It was inside...by the front door. Although, our house sits about 250ft back off the road, so it would have probably been alright left on the outside...but I am not that much of a trusting soul, either.
I was busy when it was delivered, so I just set it aside and continued with what I was doing. We don't use the front door a lot, so it was kind of "out of sight/out of mind"...until yesterday.

Reactions: Kennydale

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking good
I wish I would have got more into reloading
Hey, it is not too late.

I don't think that you would ever regret starting.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've been thinking about it. Saving money or just being able to shoot more would be nice. Not sure where to start. I'll have to start reading more of the reloading threads here.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been thinking about it. Saving money or just being able to shoot more would be nice. Not sure where to start. I'll have to start reading more of the reloading threads here.
It is worth the effort, in my estimation.

Just as an example...using a fairly accurate tabulation...the components in the picture will load about 9000rds of various ammo. The cost of the order, including shipping and hazmat fee was $539.40. I will use my cast bullets ( costs me about 1 cent each for the bullets) for about all of the rounds and reuse my brass that I already have...so, the 9000rds will average out to a cost of $70 per thousand rounds. The 9000rds will include .38spec, .357mag, 44spec, 44mag and 30/30.

And, just as an interesting fact, if that 8lbs of HP38 were used to load only .38spec plinking loads, it would be enough powder to load at least 16,000rds.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Read what the OP posted again. He hasnt been able to get that stuff for two years.

Right now we sort of have a lull in near constant shortages since sandy hook. My point being that were I you, if I were going to get into it, I wouldnt wait long at all. You might find yourself scrounging for nearly everything, if so.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Read what the OP posted again. He hasnt been able to get that stuff for two years.

Right now we sort of have a lull in near constant shortages since sandy hook. My point being that were I you, if I were going to get into it, I wouldnt wait long at all. You might find yourself scrounging for nearly everything, if so.
VERY good advice...present day rule on buying components...BUY'EM WHEN YOU CAN FIND'EM.

I have been fortunate in that I have also been able to replenish my supply of Unique and 2400, recently. Hopefully, I have enough to last for a while. It has really been a long dry spell for those pistol powders. But, I have learned to use other powders as I have tried to stretch my supply.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't count on learning it from just threads. A great start is the Speer Reloading Manual.

From the Amazon description.

"One of the original go-to sources for handloading information, this is an indispensible tool for every reloader. Its 1,150 pages contain charts, illustrations and photos to take you through the reloading process. It also offers bullet data, detailed ballistic tables, bullet-energy and velocity tables and a problem-solving section. For first-time reloaders or handloading veterans, Speer's Manual No. 14 has the data you need for success."

It's what I started with 35 years ago. I have most of the other major manuals now but have a soft spot for it.

You would probable be fine with one of the older ones to start out with.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
VERY good advice...present day rule on buying components...BUY'EM WHEN YOU CAN FIND'EM.

I have been fortunate in that I have also been able to replenish my supply of Unique and 2400, recently. Hopefully, I have enough to last for a while. It has really been a long dry spell for those pistol powders. But, I have learned to use other powders as I have tried to stretch my supply.
Me too, as re using less popular, but workable powders. Its amazing to me how many refuse to look at alternatives.

One funny story; I came across a guy on craigslist selling shotgun reloading primers, powders, etc. I bought a bunch of primers, and just for the heck of it bought a large jug of this powder I had not tried, but figured what the heck, I could use it for something. After buying all the primers, I got a very good price on the powder just to finish his lot of stuff off.

Turns out the powder that I had never used, and bought reluctantly, was "CLAYS", lol. I had no idea that it was used for pistol reloading when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me too, as re using less popular, but workable powders. Its amazing to me how many refuse to look at alternatives.

One funny story; I came across a guy on craigslist selling shotgun reloading primers, powders, etc. I bought a bunch of primers, and just for the heck of it bought a large jug of this powder I had not tried, but figured what the heck, I could use it for something. After buying all the primers, I got a very good price on the powder just to finish his lot of stuff off.

Turns out the powder that I had never used, and bought reluctantly, was "CLAYS", lol. I had no idea that it was used for pistol reloading when I bought it.
You did good..."CLAYS" is a fine pistol powder.

I learned that Winchester WST works well for the bigbore cartridges that I shoot...it is a mid-range powder and works great in 44 special and 45acp. I was able to get some of it and it proved to work very well for me as I shoot a lot of 44 special and 45acp. Also, I had never really used it much, but I had some HS-6 on the shelf...and it is splendid in 44 special and light 44mag loads. I have not liked the lack of availability of the powders I have always used...but it has been a teachable period, for me.

The old adage "There is more than one way to skin a cat"...has been very applicable to this powder side of the component shortage. Fortunately, the early primer shortage did not present a problem as I had a lot on hand. I will say, that I am going to continue to buy powder for a while yet...just in case.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For Lukethedrifter, as a new re-loader I highly recommend "ABC's of Reloading" it can be had at many bookstores for around 15.99 or if you do Kindle unlimited it is free to download and read. Between this site, THR, and the ABC's of reloading I have been able to turn out my first 150 rounds of home rolled 9mm for 6 cents a piece (I was given 150 bullets free) my next 850 will still cost less than 13 cents each if I purchase cast or as high as 35 cents apiece if I use 147gn xtp's. That is the equivalent of the cost of cheap FMJ in cost for QUALITY self defense ammo. And I can probably go cheaper as the price I pulled was the first one I could find on the net for the XTP's, plus I heavily inflated approximate shipping charges. Now if I reloaded an obscure cartridge brass would add to the cost, butat my ranges brass can be picked up by the bucket, even after it has been picked over by another reloader I always end up with more brass than I start with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Forgot to mention Shootinlead, I am a bit jealous. I need to start laying it in, now that I do reload it is a bit of a paradigm shift regarding sufficient stock. Before 1k loaded was a semi-lofty goal. Now 500+ loaded is the easily attained standard, with components for 5k+ my initial goal and hoping to get that closer to 20k of everything except projectiles.

·
Registered
417 Posts
For Lukethedrifter, as a new re-loader I highly recommend "ABC's of Reloading" it can be had at many bookstores for around 15.99 or if you do Kindle unlimited it is free to download and read. Between this site, THR, and the ABC's of reloading I have been able to turn out my first 150 rounds of home rolled 9mm for 6 cents a piece (I was given 150 bullets free) my next 850 will still cost less than 13 cents each if I purchase cast or as high as 35 cents apiece if I use 147gn xtp's. That is the equivalent of the cost of cheap FMJ in cost for QUALITY self defense ammo. And I can probably go cheaper as the price I pulled was the first one I could find on the net for the XTP's, plus I heavily inflated approximate shipping charges. Now if I reloaded an obscure cartridge brass would add to the cost, butat my ranges brass can be picked up by the bucket, even after it has been picked over by another reloader I always end up with more brass than I start with.
Thanks jaowens76, I'm gonna check that out. I was talking to my Dad about this last night he said he just heard a friend of his gave all his reloading equipment away! Doh! Missed the boat on that one..

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to mention Shootinlead, I am a bit jealous. I need to start laying it in, now that I do reload it is a bit of a paradigm shift regarding sufficient stock. Before 1k loaded was a semi-lofty goal. Now 500+ loaded is the easily attained standard, with components for 5k+ my initial goal and hoping to get that closer to 20k of everything except projectiles.
Just a thought, but you will find that shooting cast bullets will save a lot of money and they shoot well. I cast and powder coat my bullets and the bullets shoot very clean, with little smoke and no leading or sooting of the barrel. Matter of fact, I ONLY SHOOT POWDER COATED CAST BULLETS any more...no more conventional lubed bullets for me since I coated my first batch a couple of years ago. Gunbroker is a great place to buy bulk, powder coated cast bullets. Also, if you will contact most of those sellers, they will give you a decent price discount if you will order 2 or 3 thousand bullets...worth sending them a message and asking. Also, Powder Valley is about the cheapest place to buy components...just make sure that you order sufficient quantity to get the most mileage out of your hazmat fee.

Just an example of Gunbroker coated bullets...

500 9mm 115gr RN cast bullets coated : Reloading Supplies at GunBroker.com

Link to Power Valley for components...

Powder Valley, Inc.

Reactions: LuketheDrifter

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Isn't it nice to be able to find reloading components again! Of course after the election panic buying could set in again :frown:.
Yes...it is VERY nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts