1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
What an LE crap-show. 13 kidnappings and 13 murders has plead out to and 62 rapes he can't even be charged with. He operated over 12 years and CA LE never caught him? And they only got him years later on a DNA hit from a genealogy website and him spontaneously incriminating himself? How incompetent do CA cops have to be?

·
Super Moderator
16,154 Posts
I was stationed at Travis during the time DeAngelo was active and I still remember the climate of terror he caused and the killings were constantly the subject of the local news. It was not unusual to see a few vendors with Golden State Killer defense on guns or edged weapons for sale. Even after the killings it took many years before people started getting their confidence back.

·
Super Moderator
16,154 Posts
What an LE crap-show. 13 kidnappings and 13 murders has plead out to and 62 rapes he can't even be charged with. He operated over 12 years and CA LE never caught him? And they only got him years later on a DNA hit from a genealogy website and him spontaneously incriminating himself? How incompetent do CA cops have to be?
Being former LEO he was quite adept at covering his tracks and leaving no evidence behind.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Being former LEO he was quite adept at covering his tracks and leaving no evidence behind.
With all due respect, I gotta challenge that. He worked for three years as a small town cop in Exeter, CA, population 10,000. Then he worked very briefly for the department in Auburn, CA, until he got caught shoplifting dog repellent and a hammer from a discount store. If he were such a criminal genius, how does he get caught shoplifting?

Your assumption would imply that any ex-cop with even a few years' experience in a po-dunk PD could be an unstoppable major criminal. I have a tough time buying that.

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
With all due respect, I gotta challenge that. He worked for three years as a small town cop in Exeter, CA, population 10,000. Then he worked very briefly for the department in Auburn, CA, until he got caught shoplifting dog repellent and a hammer from a discount store. If he were such a criminal genius, how does he get caught shoplifting?

Your assumption would imply that any ex-cop with even a few years' experience in a po-dunk PD could be an unstoppable major criminal. I have a tough time buying that.
I've heard that many serial killers and rapists get caught because they do some bone headed thing unrelated to the crimes they are noted for.

He was a great killer and rapist, but crappy shoplifter.

Too bad he's still alive today.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
And they didn't have DNA testing back then.
But with that many crimes? They did have good old fashioned police work back then. I mean, that is a LOT of major crimes. And I have no doubt back then, the community was saying just what I am saying.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The blame for this dirtbags crimes lay solely at his own feet.

I haven’t seen any indication in the news reports of ham fisted police work. There were many, many agencies across multiple jurisdictions at local, state and federal directly or indirectly investigating these crimes over decades.

It’s likely anyone involved that’s still around is second guessing it in light of the new information. But it won’t bring anyone back or undo what happened.

Nor does it change the culpability.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Serial killers and rapist are usually pretty sneaky individuals who learn and hone their craft with each encounter. Some of their crimes are well thought out.
We only hear about the ones they know about, and the ones who ultimately get caught.
I wonder how many others are out there in the shadows who are so good at what they do that they will never get caught.
If we knew I think we would be very shaken.

·
Super Moderator
16,154 Posts
Just do a Google search for "serial killers" you will be surprised at just how many there have been.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts