Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was curious about all this talk about police targeting African Americans and systematically killing them with their racist policies.
Some statistics for 2017-2020 from Statista.

Whites 2017- 457 Blacks- 223 Hispanics-179
Whites 2018- 399 Blacks- 209 Hispanics-148
Whites 2019- 370 Blacks- 235 Hispanics-158
Whites 2020- 42 Blacks- 31 Hispanics- 13

Totals for past 4 years Whites 1,268 Blacks 698 Hispanics 498
I know that population numbers have to be taken into consideration, but even with that considered the numbers do not seem to support the narrative.
It is all BS by the Race mongers who want to sow the seeds of dissension.
The Al Sharpton's the Jesse Jackson's, the Obama's, The Black Lives Matter crew. The liberal Left.
Heck, white folks should be more outraged!

·
Premium Member
33,906 Posts
Looking at homicide statistics overall, the overwhelming are intraracial. Blacks kill blacks, whites kill whites, etc. in the overwhelming majority of cases where those things are known.

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another interesting statistic I found is that in 95% of the killings the victim was actively attacking a police officer or another citizen regardless of race.
The ones we hear about are not as common as they would like us to think.
Just think about the millions of interactions with LEO's and then the number of bad actions performed by cops.
Sure in a perfect world the number will be zero, but as long as humans are performing law enforcement this will happen.
Is it time for Robocop?

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
So I was curious about all this talk about police targeting African Americans and systematically killing them with their racist policies.

I know that population numbers have to be taken into consideration, but even with that considered the numbers do not seem to support the narrative.
The Al Sharpton's the Jesse Jackson's, the Obama's, The Black Lives Matter crew. The liberal Left.
Based on the population numbers estimated by the 2020 Census, that would be .0005% of Whites, .0016% of Blacks and .0008% of Hispanics. So per capita, based on your numbers and the Census Bureau numbers, Blacks are 3.2 times more likely to be killed by police than Whites. I know that's not the story you wanted to tell, but the numbers are what they are.

If my math is wrong, someone please correct me.

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another stat this from the FBI for 2016 regarding which race is killing which race.

Race of victim: White 3,499 Race of offender: White: 2,854 Black: 533
Race of victim: Black: 2,870 Race of offender: White 243 Black: 2,570

We seem to murder people from our own race in overwhelmingly greater numbers, Which does not support the narrative of race wars.
I do not think this stat has anything to do with percentages of total population.
There is no race war in this country. Period!

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on the population numbers estimated by the 2020 Census, that would be .0005% of Whites, .0016% of Blacks and .0008% of Hispanics. So per capita, based on your numbers and the Census Bureau numbers, Blacks are 3.2 times more likely to be killed by police than Whites. I know that's not the story you wanted to tell, but the numbers are what they are.

I will give you that population is a big factor, what I am trying to say with my other stats regarding the percentages of cops forced to shoot at 95% to save lives and the white on white and black on black crime statistics is that there is no systematic race driven conspiracy regarding race wars in this country.
Can we agree on that premise?

·
Registered
816 Posts

There is always the possibility that the Hispanics are better behaved than the rest of us.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Your math is mostly right. We would actually show this as a proportion per 1M, for example. That's the most basic analysis.

Also, though the problem isn't people being killed by the police. It's unjust killings. If you look at those numbers, which I'll try to find in open source docs, you'll see the disparity grows. Many more Black and Latino folks are victims of unjust killings.

But without that, thanks for the data proving the basic points.

**yeah, I do data at my day job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
I will give you that population is a big factor, what I am trying to say with my other stats regarding the percentages of cops forced to shoot at 95% to save lives and the white on white and black on black crime statistics is that there is no systematic race driven conspiracy regarding race wars in this country.
Can we agree on that premise?
I think we can agree that a systematic race driven conspiracy is not a major factor. There have been studies in 2006, 2009, 2017 and 2019 that have documented infiltration of police departments by white supremacist groups. I don't think it is a huge infiltration, but it does exist. Also, sadly there have been high profile incidents where cops have contributed to the death or grave bodily harm of black suspects not in self defense or protection of the public. So there is a perception issue. Caveat: I am not making any justification for what is going on. I think it is way out of line. But I think we need to understand it if we are to deal with it.

And even if the white supremacy thing is a very small part of policing, it should not be there at all. It is like pedophile priests (and I am Catholic). The percentages are not actually higher than the general population, but the problem is it should never, ever, happen at all with someone who wears the collar. And an incident like the one in Minne. should never, ever happen at all with someone who wears a badge. That it is even possible shows a major failure IMHO.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Looking at homicide statistics overall, the overwhelming are intraracial. Blacks kill blacks, whites kill whites, etc. in the overwhelming majority of cases where those things are known.
^^^I agree completely!^^ Unfortunately this is not a narrative that fits into mainstream media's agenda.:frown:

·
Premium Member
33,906 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
IMO, everyone from all walks of life, and having different views are pulling stats out of the air to support their own narrative.

For good or bad, this is not something that is resolved by spitting out "stats". This is a societal issue and is viewed holistically differently by different people.

This is where we need leadership, not statisticians.

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMO, everyone from all walks of life, and having different views are pulling stats out of the air to support their own narrative.

For good or bad, this is not something that is resolved by spitting out "stats". This is a societal issue and is viewed holistically differently by different people.

This is where we need leadership, not statisticians.
Perhaps. But perception is not reality.
I just do not see all this overt racism in my life. I only see it on the news.
Where I live most all of us are way too busy working hard, raising our families and worshiping our Creator.
We only have issues with those who do not.
Are there true racists?
Sure but in my opinion they are dinosaurs and do not reflect the society I live in. They are ostracized which leads them to more anger and to blame others for their miserable existence. They come in all colors.
I am not taking the bait that all cops are bad, all blacks are criminals and looking for a handout and all whites are born with privilege and are racist.
There are only good people and not so good people

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
102 Posts

You can't just say "x% of a given race" as though engaging in criminal activity is equal amongst these categories. A black man is 201x (not percent, times) more likely to be killed by another black man than he is to be killed by the police. Look at the stats from the FBI regarding murder in 2016: ~48% of the murders being committed by blacks who do *not* make up anywhere near that percentage in the population.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
You can't just say "x% of a given race" as though engaging in criminal activity is equal amongst these categories. A black man is 201x (not percent, times) more likely to be killed by another black man than he is to be killed by the police. Look at the stats from the FBI regarding murder in 2016: ~48% of the murders being committed by blacks who do *not* make up anywhere near that percentage in the population.
We were talking about people killed by police by race and I just presented accurate percentages based on the numbers. Of course, as you point out, there are other factors.

But the important thing to understand is the protests and riots are not about black men being killed by other black men. Nobody is out the marching and creating mayhem over black on black violence. Maybe they should be, but they are not. The whole thing is about black men being killed by police, which happens at a much higher rate than it does for other races. I am NOT justifying the riots in any way. I am just trying to understand them. I'm sure the numbers you presented are accurate, but they are irrelevant to the motivations of the protesters and rioters.

The issue here is a perceived lack confidence in the police. Black on black violence should be a matter for another protest.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts