Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took the first steps to hand-loading my own ammo.

Just ordered:
1 Lee classic 4 hole Turret press
1 Disk powder measure
1 Riser for above
1 Primer feeder
1 Electronic powder scale
1 Tumbler
And one 4 die set for 9mm, but the dies are on back-order till september. Everything including shipping was right around $300.

I already have an electronic caliper, some empty bullet trays, and have managed to accumulate about 260 'once fired' brass over the last couple of range visits, and have 150 rounds of factory brass ammo i've yet to fire.
One of the managers at work is big into reloading so i've been grilling him for info over the last couple of weeks, got a couple of places locally to hopefully find the consumables (primers, powder, bullets, etc), going to start reading and studying some over the next few days while I wait for everything to arrive.

Sara Lou

·
Super Moderator
18,176 Posts
Be sure to add a reloading manual or two, you will need them for load info and most have instructions for starting out.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
You can probably youtube and get a lot of videos on reloading where they take you through step by step. :smile:

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been waiting for my 9mm die set from midway for a few months now, the expected back in stock date keeps getting pushed back, so expect that to happen

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lee 4 Die set for.38sp / .357mag just magically showed up Friday at MidWay. Should be here today !

Want to get a dedicated setup for the .357mag so I don't have to touch the .38sp setup I have.

Anyone suggest a source for .357 brass ??? Had to purchase some factory loads and they are tough
to find as well.

Zralou ... watch the loads from that disk powder measure ! I was very disappointed with it's inconsistency
and now "dip" and weigh every charge. Slower but accurate.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zralou ... watch the loads from that disk powder measure ! I was very disappointed with it's inconsistency
and now "dip" and weigh every charge. Slower but accurate.
Thanks for the heads up on that.

You can probably youtube and get a lot of videos on reloading where they take you through step by step. :smile:
Ohh don't worry i've spent hours and hours on youtube watching reloading techniques. :smile:

Sara Lou

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Hope you have success with this.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope you have success with this.
Thank you. :smile:

Be sure to add a reloading manual or two, you will need them for load info and most have instructions for starting out.
I just spoke with the manager at work this morning, he said he had a few books lying around and would try to remember to bring them in to work for me to read.

Sara Lou

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got an email today from MidwayUSA telling me the parcel has shipped. Estimated delivery is tomorrow!!!!! :danceban:

Sara Lou

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, just wow....

I placed my order with MidwayUSA on sunday night, everything (except the dies on backorder) arrived today!!!. And that was with the cheapest basic shipping option.

Gotta give Midway an atta-boy on that one.

Sara Lou

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another 'atta-boy' to Midway, the 9mm dies arrived today, despite being told they were back-ordered till september.

The manager at work also brought in one of his reloading books for me to study this week, so looks like I should be up and running soon (or at least as soon as I finish renovating one of the bedrooms so I can setup a bench).

Sara Lou

·
Registered
241 Posts
Reloading is awesome.

It is economical, you can tune your ammo to your preference, you can experiment gun to gun, and for me the process is relaxing as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts