Defensive Carry banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
The AK is so reliable, archeologists chiseled a fossilized specimen out of some Siberian rock and it cycled the ammunition still in the Russian made magazine.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Thought you guys might enjoy seeing some of the aftermarket equipment for the AK...

·
Registered
273 Posts
At some point I'd like to get an AK, but I have no clue who makes good ones and what's a good price for the AK itself and its magazines. For the AR I was able to get my Smith & Wesson Sport 2 for $500 and PMAGs for $10 a piece. Should I be expecting to spend more for an AK, its magazines, and ammo?

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
At some point I'd like to get an AK, but I have no clue who makes good ones and what's a good price for the AK itself and its magazines. For the AR I was able to get my Smith & Wesson Sport 2 for $500 and PMAGs for $10 a piece. Should I be expecting to spend more for an AK, its magazines, and ammo?

The market is bad for AK right now due to the panic.. Feel free to PM I am happy to answer any question you might have

Pre panic you could get a WSAR10 ( which are good now lol) for 600-700 bucks + good surplus metal mags at around 10-15 each and ammo for like 4-5 bucks a box of 20 course now everything has gone up due to the panic + lot of the over sees plants have shut down or are only doing military orders .

For a started AK a new WSAR10 is a good start imop the new PSA Ak are now quite good also if you want USA made ( prob one of the few USA made ones that are worth anything ) ..Mags any military issued mags are good don't buy commercial grade or S Korean military mags ..Also skip the new Crotian made mags they have problem ..Circle 10s will cost you but are some of the best ..Be wary some sellers say they are selling new military mags but they are new commercial bulgraian mags or Korean made which are ok for range mags but thats about it ...

Most tapco, pro mag etc are just that as well range mag if that .. Magpul is ok but even with the gen 3 does not have enough metal support for my taste ..Ammo is still cheep less then 556 is now ..Still under 10 a box for 20 or less .

If you are looking on the secondary market for a rifle please read up and ask here first as well they are a lot of imports , bulders etc of AK over the last 30+ years some amazing some eh ..And some basic law stuff like 922R and import bans to be away off esp if you start adding or taking off parts ....

Really imop get a new WSAR10 with the threaed barrel and bayonet lug and some miltary surplus mags maybe some circle 10s and wolf or such ammo ( they make range safe copper ammo as well wolf does ) and some 8m3 tula if you can find it and you will be happy imop.

If you want to go cream of the crop Aresnal AK are very nicly made as are China com AK or other pre ban stuff like the FEG 85m etc ..Also stuff like the China MAK90 and the early romy AK like the SAR1 and the like are very good but for a first AK I would hold off unless the needed work was done ( new trigger in the SAR1 and thread the barrel at min ) the mak90 is fine as is but if you want to mod it parts will need to be swapped

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Oh and PSA skip any AK made by IO or Century arms trust me ( if they are imported by them that is normal ok as all they did was 922r stuff so did not mess it up as much )

ARSENAL SLR 107R AK47 Rifle - AtlanticFirearms.com

All are over priced imop but any of these three would be a good start point

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have an Arsenal AK which most say are top rated. With Golden Tiger ammo lucky to get 6 MOA. Same Golden Tiger ammo in Ruger Ranch bolt rifle gives consistent 2 MOA groups.

With Colt HBAR carbine with 1-9 twist get 2MOA with 55 grain Federal xm193 ammo. With other AR rifles not so good accuracy but far better than with AK. I think AR with 55 grain ammo needs slower twist then the popular 1-7.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes Jack 1-7 is to fast. That is why the older ARs where 1-9. But I am using my rifles for home defense . All I need is to being able to hit a 10inch plate or upper body if need be at no more than 50 yards. Inside the home 12 gage with 00 buck. Maybe I am anticipating something that will never happen. I hope so. But who would of believe Portland?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes Jack 1-7 is to fast. That is why the older ARs where 1-9. But I am using my rifles for home defense . All I need is to being able to hit a 10inch plate or upper body if need be at no more than 50 yards. Inside the home 12 gage with 00 buck. Maybe I am anticipating something that will never happen. I hope so. But who would of believe Portland?
I certainly agree that the AK accuracy is very adequate for home defense and ranges out to 50 yards. But I wanted a rifle that had decent accuracy, for me around 2 MOA or so, using bulk type fairly cheap ammo like Federal 55 gr xm193. Well fairly cheap until about January of this year. I really don't think I can obtain that level of accuracy with an AK. Playing round with AR in 7.62x39 and it shows potential if like that round and want accuracy. But problem is often hard to set off primers of commie steel cased ammo, which is the cheap ammo. I started to experiment with longer firing pin and have some heavier hammer springs to try. But latter can increase trigger pull. And more bolt face is cut out in AR chambered in 7.62x39 and I don't know if that will be a problem.

The original M16 had I believe 1-12 and 1-14 twist at one time. But that would not stabilize the long tracer rounds. And it is length, as I understand, not weight that affects needed twist, but of course longer bullets generally heavier so that is how issue is addressed.

Other factor to consider is if other houses around how likely one round vs another is to exit building. And I think 5.56 less likely to exit.

Parts availability and quality of parts is another issues as well as how easy to replace parts. Bottom line for me is I am tending towards AR. AK may be more reliable under extreme conditions, but I will not be going into extreme conditions. But I sure wish more uppers available with at least 1-9 if not 1-10 to 1-12 twists. Only 1-8 twists are/were readily available.

Like a lot of stuff in shooting game, all what works for you. Best of luck on your search for what works for you.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts