Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the order online a couple of hours ago through Grab A Gun for my first AR 15.

I vacillated between Springfield's Saint, Ruger's AR 556, Smith's M&P 15, and Savage's MSR 15 Recon. The Ruger and Smith were below $500. The Savage was $768, and the Saint was $799.

I liked the specs on the Savage and the Saint the best. That's probably why they were the most $$$.

Anyways, I went with the Savage MSR 15 Recon as my first AR. Hopefully, Grab A Gun will send me an email to come pick it up in a couple of days. I live within 35 miles of their store. Now to stock up on magazines and ammo.

Joe

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
When ya' get it in your (now) anxious hands, let us know if/why you think it's worth the extra coin. Thanks! :yup:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Now to stock up on magazines and ammo.
last I checked, Midway had a 10-pack of PMags for $80.

Palmetto State Armory has 10 Pmags and 10 aluminum (military style) for $139. The deal ends tomorrow.

I had purchases an M&P 15 a year and a half ago. Did what it needed to do, but I wanted something a little more customized and decided to build my own. I have half of it put together right now and the barrel is out getting some work done to make it ATF compliant. Once I get that back I will have my AR15. It wasn't cheap, but I'm not going to look at it and worry that some aspect isn't as I want it.

Also, while cleaning my M&P recently, I found that the castle nut on my M&P had come loose. Thankfully it didn't lead to a failure on the range. But, when they start selling guns at the low end, something has to give. It looks like they did stake the castle nut, but it may have been outside the cavity or not enough material was manipulated.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I am not really in the market, but if the Ruger and Smith are any good I might consider one for under $500.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Congrats on the new AR. From the reviews I have seen the savage is getting great reviews. They are getting the snot knocked out of them and are not failing. Once you get it, dont forget to show us some Pics...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
There's a picture thread in this subforum. Give us a few pics (and a range report) when you get it, please. :smile:

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
I am not really in the market, but if the Ruger and Smith are any good I might consider one for under $500.
They are are a fantastic value and very decent quality, IMO!

Reactions: RebelSoul

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I doubt you'll find either for under 500 unless some kind of sale comes up. ARs are pretty much hitting as low as they'll probably ever go at this point. The only knock against the Ruger is a few proprietary parts, otherwise it's a solid base gun you can customize to your liking as any AR is. I saw a Ruger the other day for 600. It was flat earth and had a Hogue rubber grip, would have gotten it but some dude grabbed it while I was looking for ammo. The S&W M&P is, I believe, pretty much all Mil-Spec. Again, it's a really basic AR but so much can be done with it. Both are well-regarded and mine are flawless in function. They're geared towards people who want to try an AR without shelling out 2 grand, and they are fantastic for that group of people.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt you'll find either for under 500 unless some kind of sale comes up. ARs are pretty much hitting as low as they'll probably ever go at this point. The only knock against the Ruger is a few proprietary parts, otherwise it's a solid base gun you can customize to your liking as any AR is. I saw a Ruger the other day for 600. It was flat earth and had a Hogue rubber grip, would have gotten it but some dude grabbed it while I was looking for ammo. The S&W M&P is, I believe, pretty much all Mil-Spec. Again, it's a really basic AR but so much can be done with it. Both are well-regarded and mine are flawless in function. They're geared towards people who want to try an AR without shelling out 2 grand, and they are fantastic for that group of people.
Grab A Gun has them both for less than $500. The Ruger is $479 and the Smith Sport II is $499.

Joe

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Grab A Gun has them both for less than $500. The Ruger is $479 and the Smith Sport II is $499.

Joe
Thanks for that, but Grab a Gun can Keep a Gun, I can't trust them after they pulled a Buds on me. By the way, 499 is 500..you work in marketing? :biggrin2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that, but Grab a Gun can Keep a Gun, I can't trust them after they pulled a Buds on me. By the way, 499 is 500..you work in marketing? :biggrin2:
Ha. No marketing job for me. I retired from teaching 9 years ago. Not looking for another job any time soon!

Joe

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got both a call and two emails from Grab a Gun this morning to come pick up my new Savage MSR 15 Recon. I went just after lunch. They opened the box and it was love at first sight!!

We are traveling the next few days, but as soon as we get stationary, I will put up some pictures.

Joe

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I already KNOW what an AR LOOKS like. It's the RANGE report that I'm after. :image035:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts