Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just placed an order with Rafters Gunleather for an OTW holster for my Ruger Sp101. After much searching I found that the options for 101's with 3-1/16" barrells were few and far between. Tried to contact some other makers but I simply need a holster faster than 3 to 6 months. I ordered brown sharkskin with a shield to keep hammer from biting my "lovehandles". Its in the pattern of a speed scabbard such as Bruce Nelson's original design. The folks at Rafter's have answered all my questions and been very helpful so far, plus an expected delivery of about 3 weeks is sweet!!! Sorry to be rambling on, this is just my 1st made to order holster. I've primarily used leather from Don Hume, which is a fine product for the price, but I'm stoked about this new acquisition!!:danceban:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Custom Holster = Happy Customer! :image035:

Ti.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the encouraging words Happy, always have wanted a nice rig made of something other than cowhide, I debated a long time between IWB and OWB. I've always carried Glocks and 1911's in the past, primarily IWB, this will be my first revolver as a carry gun. Even though the SP101 is a 5 shot and relatively thin for a revovlver, I opted OWB for comfort's sake, if I like the first holster I can always get an IWB for later, though with IWB I would opt for cowhide seeing how it's primarily hidden anyway.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
rycher - hopefully you will find OWB way more comfortable - and as long as cover options adequate - it should stay that way.

Custom leather is, as we mostly find - superior in most respects and worth the cost.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are making me feel better about my decision. You're correct P95, I use to use a cheap Uncle Mikes Kydex in IDPA and it was way more comfortable, just always seemed easier to carry IWB with slightly oversize T's in summer, I do need to plan out my wardrobe abit better for maximum concealment when I start using this new rig.

·
Registered
310 Posts
rycher,

You'll be very happy with the holster from Rafter S. I've talked with a number of people who have their holsters and/or belts, and have not heard any negative reports about them. IMO, custom work shows pride of ownership, both of the gun and the holster. Rafter S pricing allows for a lot more people to do that, even with the exotic skins.

You've definitely made a good choice. :yup:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Once you go custom - you will never go back!! I tried several (ok ok more than several) custom guys until I found K & D Holsters. Kevins got me hooked. My wife said no more guns for awhile - she didn't say no more holsters!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K-Man, It's very refreshing to see someone pay "the other guy" a compliment. I was actually very impressed with what I had heard and seen of K&D holsters, but like I said I really needed this holster fairly quick. Kevin, watch those "loopholes" your wife misses. I've tried that thinking with my better half only to find her using a similar logic to "get back" at me for my purchases. LOL.:smile:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Holster, and a like accessorys, can be as enticing as the guns them selfs. Good thing, even the more expensive ones are not as bad as the guns.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually she uses the ol' "What I buy is for the home" to try to make me feel guilty about my purchases. My usual response is " How much Home Interior crap can you squeeze onto one wall?"

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Buying quality holsters is addictive. I do not need any holsters, and have at least one from a top craftsman for each of my carry guns.

But I do not have one of Lou's holsters, and I want one. I hate to buy a gun just to need a holster. Maybe in time I will find a need. I think that if he had a website I would probably have ordered one in the past.

I have never seen one of his current holsters. I say that because I have one that I bought at a gun show years ago. I probably paid less than $5. It is obviously one of his very early holsters, and does not compare with what I see in photos today.

Now, let's see what I might need, or just want.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
JerryM said:
Buying quality holsters is addictive. I do not need any holsters, and have at least one from a top craftsman for each of my carry guns.

But I do not have one of Lou's holsters, and I want one. I hate to buy a gun just to need a holster. Maybe in time I will find a need. I think that if he had a website I would probably have ordered one in the past.

I have never seen one of his current holsters. I say that because I have one that I bought at a gun show years ago. I probably paid less than $5. It is obviously one of his very early holsters, and does not compare with what I see in photos today.

Jerry
Yes and lots cheaper than buying the pistols that go in them. Got Andrews Leather, Eric is working on one for me, going to get in touch with Gary, and there are more that I want. Wish I had went this way when I first started carrying.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
When we first started carrying most of us didn't know the options that were there for us. After going with a custom maker you find out that these guys know their business and are there to help you find what works for you. Then you start looking at the quality of the work and soon you want several more to try out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rycher.... boy, do I hear that all the time, and like you, just wonder how they can put so much stuff on the walls!! Our inside walls look like "swiss cheese"! We are planning a move, and I'll probably spend a week filling in the nail holes with spackle!!

Although... I must say.... when I told her this past weekend that I bought a new revolver, she didnt quibble, just asked where I got the money, heh. I have my own seperate account for my toys, seperate from household, and of course, she's got the AE card!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
K-man, it's nice to see such a good attitude...
I'm sure it will pay off in regards to your business as well...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I probably "rib" her a little too much. She's not extremely fussy. I handled the last gun aquisition by buying two and telling her one of them was primarily intended dor her for home defense, little did I know she'd take me seriously, she's done layed claim to my new glock 19.:smile:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
JerryM said:

Jerry
You can see lou's holsters here. http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm Very nice people to deal with also.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Rycher, what are you carrying in your SP101? I few years back I had a .357 model. After firing about 50 rounds I had a bruise on my palm. That sucker kicked like a mule! I found .38's offered much less punch and better accuracy. Looking back, I wish I wouldn't have traded it in.

I am looking for an IWB holster fro my compact Kimber. I am considering the Andrews Custom leather, MacDaniel II. This seems to offer good concealability and also allows the weapon to ride "higher".

Anyone have experience with this rig?

D-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts