Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took 45 days to receive it. I am new to guns and look forward to carrying in the waistband once I figure out exactly where to want to place it.

This may be a dumb question but should I practice carrying it loaded or unloaded?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
354 Posts
No dumb questions, I am fairly new cc. Read the manual about 10 times, keep your finger off the trigger always, unless you are ready to fire. Also some IWB holsters are not made to re holster while tucked, so be cautious.

My owb has a trigger guard/block built in so the trigger can't be touched while holstered. (They have a rating/grading system for different kinds of holster guards/snaps that the name of has left my mind at this time). This holster enables you to draw and holster without any worries. I also have a thumb safety. I'm a heavy guy and this holster holds it tight to my body. Never even been looked at that I know of.

Let me tell you how nervous I was when I got mine in Dec 2012. (you can carry in your vehicle in FL without a permit within certain rules)
was so odd the 1st 2 days it was locked in my trunk locked in it's case, then I moved it to my center console with a full mag but empty chamber. Then I decided to chamber a round after a few more days. Finally, while I was waiting for permit I carried in the house locked and loaded on weekends. Wife and daughter never knew I was doing it. (Carry a 40 FS with OWB) When permit came it was as natural as could be when I walked out the door the 1st time.

An unloaded gun is a rock!
Good luck and be safe!
IMG_0007-001.JPG

It took 45 days to receive it. I am new to guns and look forward to carrying in the waistband once I figure out exactly where to want to place it.

This may be a dumb question but should I practice carrying it loaded or unloaded?

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
I would practice carrying it 'unloaded'...IF...the dirtbags in your area are only 'practicing' robbing people.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
YES, carry it loaded at all times!

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
If you're carrying, it is no longer practice.

If you are simply trying to "feel" which is most comfortable, around the house is fine loaded or otherwise.
Eventually you will carry with the weapon ready to fire; so you may as well start now.
As already stated, a unloaded gun is pretty much useless.

Regardless of the type of pistol you are carrying, be sure you are fully ready to deploy the weapon and fire..This is what gun ranges are for.

A possible difficulty in your mind may arise when you carry "hot" (i.e) ready to fire by simply pulling the trigger.
A few people do not carry with one in the chamber. I did not for a week.
You didn't mention what type of gun you have.

My carry weapon is a Glock..no manual on/off safety. So if I have one chambered, all I need to do is draw and pull the trigger.
I was uncomfortable with this for a few days...Now I don't worry about it at all.

Be safe. Never let your guard down and never get complacent.

Congrats on your CCW.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You don't need to carry unloaded. Start out with nothing in the pipe. What's you carry weapon? I EDC a S&W m&p 9c. Without a safety. I keep it chambered always on my person. But it is a striker fire. (No visible/protruding hammer)On the other hand my weekend carry is a 1911 (standard protuding hammer) . That one took me a little while to get comfortable carrying that chambered but once I got used to that particular firearm and studied it like the back of my hand, I now carry it locked and loaded. Hey, there's no rush. Get comfortable. Once you chose your carry position practice by putting yourself in everyday scenarios while wearing your piece. ie. Reaching, bending over, rolling over. Whatever may be common for your daily activities. You'll find your niche, and learn to accept it as a new limb. Welcome aboard and stay safe.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
I just received my CHL (Texas) about two weeks ago. I am new to guns also. I had a friend take me to a range and i shot his guns first. Decided that i liked it, and bought one . Then took a decent beginners class. Then the CHL class. Now after about 10 hours of range time i am pretty sure i can handle my gun fairly accurately and safely. The next step I would like, is to take an intermediate defensive course. Between the course fee and ammo i am looking at $250. What can i say, that's a bit of change, but i have the bug.

To answer your question. If I am at home. Practicing drawing from the holster, it would BE UNLOADED (Checked & Double Checked). If not doing that it is loaded, with one in chamber. My gun has a manual safety, plus a Glock like trigger safety.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
congrats! and always practice unloaded until you feel comfortable enough. once you feel comfortable enough then practice loaded at home before going out with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a lc9 I hope to carry iwb once I figure the location

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

Welcome to the club...been a member since 1988.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I would practice carrying it 'unloaded'...IF...the dirtbags in your area are only 'practicing' robbing people.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
YES, carry it loaded at all times!
There ya' go, now that's good advice right there!:yup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a lc9 I hope to carry iwb once I figure the location

I stand by my crossbreed supertuck. I have one for every pistol.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Congrats!!!! :cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
Congrats on the new permit.

To be honest, you should have already been practicing carrying around the house, to get use to the feel. You've already put yourself a month and a half behind the curve. I'd recommend practicing carry with it loaded, that way you get the feel of what everyday carry will be. Depending on caliber and round count, there can be a significant difference in empty weight and carry weight.

Carry position is something you will need to play with to find what works best for you. If your right handed 3:30-4:30 is a good starting point, left handed 7:30-8:30. A good quality holster and just as important (if not more so) a good quality gun belt, to support your gun, will make a world of difference in comfort and how it carries.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
It took 45 days to receive it. I am new to guns ...
Welcome aboard, to the responsibility of managing your own security and defense. Congratulations! :eek:k:

Either way is fine, so long as you train to be effective in that mode and well understand the pros/cons in various situations you might find yourself.

There are people who carry unchambered, and ideally they train to be effective with the gun in that condition. And there are people who carry chambered, and ideally they train to be effective with the gun in that condition. By far, the worst thing you can do is to not train to deal with the realities of not having a bullet ready to go. It's little different than, say, failing to train properly on dealing with your manual thumb safety (if your gun has one), a situation that can easily result in your needing to fire but being blocked from doing so. Train, train, train ... and it should be fine.

My thoughts: I'm comfortable with typically DA/SA pistols or DA revolvers, and none of my handguns have manual safeties that I must first disengage before firing. I carry with a round chambered, in all my handguns, always have, and I train that way. Of course, with DA/DAO and chambered handguns without manual safeties, I need to be cognizant of the risk of an unintentional discharge, but I train that way on all the handguns. Works for me, and I'm comfortable with the level of attention and handling procedures required. YMMV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is fantastic! I also started carrying this week. I carry a Walther PPQ in a Remora RFT. I love the holster and the gun too. Like many others have said it tool a few days of carrying to get used to it. The PPQ only has a trigger safety, and I carry with one in the chamber. All I have to do is pull the trigger to defend my family.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wow- lucky you. Today marks 60 days for my wait here in KY. Unfortunately, there has been no shortage of bad guys reminding me why I want it...

I don't suppose there's really any wrong way to practice. Anything that makes you feel more comfortable and confident.

Been to the Wal-Mart yet? Congrats and be safe! :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had a 96 day wait here in Indiana, clean record.
Wow!! 96 days. Another reason I love the great state of Pennsylvania. Must issue within 45 days. Good Luck to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts