Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
I did like the 938. It was a little tack driver, but it was definitely not a cupcake. While I am not recoil sensitive, this is not a gun I would enjoy shooting for fun, although I shot it extreme well. And despite being totally caked with carbon buildup, it was flawless.
Please have her try the SIG P238. I know you/she are set on 9mm - BUT my personal feeling is that good .380 ammo is going to do a fine job for me in any SD situation I wind up in (hopefully none) and the P238 is a total joy: Racks easily, very mild recoil, totally accurate, etc. The only drawback is that it is SMALL and a bit of a challenge to clean if you have large hands. I don't, so it's not a problem, but there are a LOT of teeny little places - same places as on other guns, just a lot smaller. AND although it is not a real 1911, it has the grip angle and the feel of one - baby size.

In fact, I put around 50 rounds through one of mine this afternoon, and it is just plain FUN to shoot. I actually have 2 of them, in different models. The only problem with .380 ammo is the price if you are going to shoot a few hundred rounds every week. And THAT is why I also take a .22 when I go to the range. I can shoot 50 or 60 rounds of .380 through one or two guns and then blast away with my S&W .22 compact "and a good time is had by all!!!!"

And there was a guy shooting a cute little .22 rifle when my friend and I got there. He was about finished but there is plenty of room on that all steel range for several people to shoot at once. Anyway we talked a couple minutes and he said he has a .380 but the recoil is horrendous. I asked him what brand. His reply: A S&W Bodyguard. WELL, duh.......those are nasty little beasts. So I let him shoot my P238 and boy was he impressed.

Back to - it will be her choice, but I would be pleased if she tries a P238 in the mix of other guns she will be trying.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Please have her try the SIG P238. I know you/she are set on 9mm - BUT my personal feeling is that good .380 ammo is going to do a fine job for me in any SD situation I wind up in (hopefully none) and the P238 is a total joy: Racks easily, very mild recoil, totally accurate, etc. The only drawback is that it is SMALL and a bit of a challenge to clean if you have large hands. I don't, so it's not a problem, but there are a LOT of teeny little places - same places as on other guns, just a lot smaller. AND although it is not a real 1911, it has the grip angle and the feel of one - baby size.

In fact, I put around 50 rounds through one of mine this afternoon, and it is just plain FUN to shoot. I actually have 2 of them, in different models. The only problem with .380 ammo is the price if you are going to shoot a few hundred rounds every week. And THAT is why I also take a .22 when I go to the range. I can shoot 50 or 60 rounds of .380 through one or two guns and then blast away with my S&W .22 compact "and a good time is had by all!!!!"

And there was a guy shooting a cute little .22 rifle when my friend and I got there. He was about finished but there is plenty of room on that all steel range for several people to shoot at once. Anyway we talked a couple minutes and he said he has a .380 but the recoil is horrendous. I asked him what brand. His reply: A S&W Bodyguard. WELL, duh.......those are nasty little beasts. So I let him shoot my P238 and boy was he impressed.

Back to - it will be her choice, but I would be pleased if she tries a P238 in the mix of other guns she will be trying.
Im waiting to see her thoughts on the 938 when she shoots it. IF, it is what I expect it to be after a few mags, I will trade it out for the 238....that’s the good thing about Buds, is you can keep trading out for free, or until you run out of range time. But you have to use their range ammo in their guns, which can get expensive if you are doing multiple calibers.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Look at a Springfield EMP if you can.

I think it's just what you’re looking for b
Im thinking something like that will be the sweet spot and check all the boxes.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Gman I'm one who doesn't like the G43 but I really do like the 43xand the 48, they feel more like a Shield in my hands and both shoot better than the regular G43, just size wise I prefer the G48 between the two

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a 938 for awhile, its a great little gun, accurate, easy to carry but definitely not fun for a long range session. I have an EMP 3 now and I think that is about as small as I want to go personally. The micro guns are appealing due to their weight and their ease of concealment but I find a commander or CCO in either 9 or 45 just as easy to hide away and its far easier for me to train with and to shoot accurately consistently.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have a Glock 43....its ok, but nothing to write home about.

I might humbly suggest you try the P365, with the regular sights. I found it a tack driver, no failures, and actually pretty soft shooting for a small pistol.
Agreed. My P365 shoots much softer than an LC9s or G43. I haven’t shot it on paper yet for accuracy, I can ding steel plates easily at 15 yards with a variety of ammo, and I’ve had no failures of any type.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
This is a big thing for me. I just can't keep a gun I don't like shooting. I kept a beautiful PPK/S for 20 years due to sentimental attachment, but I hated shooting it so much I finally caved and sold it. It's one of the few guns I have sold that I don't miss at all. I've had a few other guns since that I just didn't enjoy shooting, and they are now gone.

That said, it's easy to forget 9mm is a pretty potent round. I didn't really appreciate that until I started chrono-ing 357 from my Kimber K6S and realized 125gr 357 from a snubby is not much hotter than 124gr 9mm from a short barrel.
9mm isn’t the global standard sidearm caliber for nothing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A friend who buys, decides she doesn't like a lot of guns that much, and sells, and so cycles through a lot of models started me shooting. I liked her P238 so much, that's what I got as my first gun. When she got a P938 later, and I tried that, it was way too snappy for me. If I'd tried the 938 first, my guess it would have prejudiced me so much I'd never have tried the 238.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A group of friends at my local club did a test of different firearm over a couple of weeks. We tested the Sig 365 with 1,000 rounds. Nice gun but not for all. We had 6 failures, which we contributed to user error. The Sig has a very narrow space between the receiver and grip. Big tendency for some to ride the slide. The Sig has a hulky take down lever and slide release. Way too big for a small gun. The Sig shot very similar to a Ruger LC9S but with just a little less recoil and muzzle flip. Still a snappy gun. The Glock for me, gives me a blister on my finger every time. Last time, I tried out the G43X with two hundred rounds and very nice blister was the result. I have a pic of it.
If you want a really mild shooting firear the New Beretta Carry (formerly Beretta Nano) is about as soft shooting as you will find with very little muzzle flip and very low recoil. Small size, even technically smaller than the 365 and comes with a 8 round magazine. The Kahr CM 9 which has a higher recoil rating, actually shoots very well. Kahr has done something in the design to control Muzzle flip. Actually a smooth shooting gun. If I were to have to choose between the Sig 365 and 938, I would definitely choose the 938. JMO, the 365 is NOT a good fit for my hand.
My choice is the APX carry. Nice smooth Striker fired DAO trigger. Modular take down, extremely well built and solid.
Here is a list of Recoil rating which I feel is very close to how our group felt. Courtesy of Genitron.

Diamondback-DB9---9.28
Keltec PF-9------------9.79
Kahr CM9---------------7.7
*Ruger LC9S------------7.24
*Sig 365------------------6.99
Sig 938--------------------6.99
MP Shield-----------------6.8
Springfield Hellcat------6.78
Glock 43X------------------6.93
Beretta APX Carry/Nano--6.18

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Have yet to see one in the wild, but what about this:
mp-9-shield-ez-manual-thumb-safety

I realize it isn't exactly 1911ish, but it does have the manual safety and a grip safety....Shot a buddies shield in .45 and thought is was pretty soft shooting, so I'd imagine the 9mm should be as well.

Reactions: G-man* and 10thmtn

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
My wife like her 238 for summer carry. I liked hers so much I got a Springfield 911 for my self( nearly the same gun). Both accurate and easy to shoot . Ammo is the only kicker , as 380 is more $ than 9.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Have yet to see one in the wild, but what about this:
mp-9-shield-ez-manual-thumb-safety

I realize it isn't exactly 1911ish, but it does have the manual safety and a grip safety....Shot a buddies shield in .45 and thought is was pretty soft shooting, so I'd imagine the 9mm should be as well.
Good suggestion.

In addition to being 1911-like in controls and safeties, it’s probably one of the lightest weight options under consideration.

And if the 9mm proves too snappy or heavy, there’s the original 380 version.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
My wife like her 238 for summer carry. I liked hers so much I got a Springfield 911 for my self( nearly the same gun). Both accurate and easy to shoot . Ammo is the only kicker , as 380 is more $ than 9.
I’ve started seeing FMJ 380 for close to 9mm at Target Sports USA.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I’ve started seeing FMJ 380 for close to 9mm at Target Sports USA.
I have seen 380 ammo made by Legend sold in Buds in a bag of 100 rounds for $27. As a matter of fact I bought a bag for my BG 380, and it is really good stuff.

Reactions: rocky and OD*

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
I have seen 380 ammo made by Legend sold in Buds in a bag of 100 rounds for $27. As a matter of fact I bought a bag for my BG 380, and it is really good stuff.
That is a great price for 380 JHPs...IF they actually expand and penetrate out of a short barrel. Remanufactured?

I have to look into those when I’m off work. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Women and firearms ! I learned 43 years a's wife asked if she wanted to try her beretta 84 I think , then asked if she could try my DW 15-2 that I had some lite loads for . Well she loved the 4x4 club weekend outing and firearms enough that she bought her own DW 15-2 a few weeks later and I got me a keeper too !!

So thru the years I would come home from work to see a new handgun once in a while . Her first CC handgun is bersa 380 then one days a little TCP 380 for when smaller was needed and then a couple years later a M&P 9c showed up along with a comp-tac neutral like I had then a 4.25 m&p core . Dang M&P 's , Thank god for apex tactical .

I day I wanted a small carry option and bought myself a Kimber ss ultra 9mm added some thin grips for better concealment and did my normal 400 round brake in to get use to a new to me firearm and when I noticed my wife watching and stupidly asked Would you like to shoot it honey ? And after a few mags of ammo where fired she claimed it as her new EDC !! Now she is 5-2 and 64 years young carry's it in her old MTAC or a new stealth gear mini and she keeps my reloading 9mm .

I wanted to get rid of my colts trigger rattle and want'ed to try a short trigger when my wife saw me looking at EB short smooth trigger and she asked about them and what I was going to do so I ended up was ordering 2 triggers and fit them so the rattle was gone in both and lighten both trigger to 3.5 lbs . In the year and a few months shes had that Kimber ultra 9mm she has fired a few thousand rounds of home rolled ammo and carrys 147gr hst . . I have a daughter that carrys a glock 19 and all of use carry high on our sides at 3:00 . My wife still carrys a little tcp 380 occasionally too in a little desantis soft tuk I also load practice ammo for it too . My wife is not going to have a chance to shoot my new p320XC !!

WIFES We sure can't live with out a good women beside us so we have to learn how to live with them .

41 - 60 of 84 Posts