Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
That is a great price for 380 JHPs...IF they actually expand and penetrate out of a short barrel. Remanufactured?

I have to look into those when I’m off work. Thanks.
I don’t know if they expand or not, but they feed well and are very accurate.

Reactions: OD* and 10thmtn

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a Glock 43....its ok, but nothing to write home about.

I might humbly suggest you try the P365, with the regular sights. I found it a tack driver, no failures, and actually pretty soft shooting for a small pistol.
I agree with your appraisal of the P365.

I have fired almost exclusively FMJ rounds in 115gr and 124gr in my two 365s. The weapons feed, load, extract, and eject both rounds smoothly without a single failure to date. I have found, anecdotally, that the 115gr rounds seem to produce slightly less recoil and, consequently, permit quicker follow-on shot sight acquisition. I admit that this could be as much perception as reality, as the difference is not great, but with a sight radius of only 4 1/2 inches I have judged faster sight alignment after firing to be significant enough to standardize on 115gr FMJ for my EDC ammunition. I think the short-range ballistics out of a 3.1 inch barrel are about the same for both the 115 gr and the 124gr but would welcome thoughts to the contrary if anyone has evaluated data on this .

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Appreciate the insight. My wife carries a p238 and I considered getting the 938 as it is 1911 style. The flatness seems the only benefit over my 442 I carry regularly though.

Looking forward to Mrs. G-Man's preference and rationale

·
Registered
158 Posts
A group of friends at my local club did a test of different firearm over a couple of weeks. We tested the Sig 365 with 1,000 rounds. Nice gun but not for all. We had 6 failures, which we contributed to user error. The Sig has a very narrow space between the receiver and grip. Big tendency for some to ride the slide. The Sig has a hulky take down lever and slide release. Way too big for a small gun.
Over a period of about 5 years I have downsized from a full frame Colt Combat Elite 1911 in .45ACP EDC to a Sig P365 in 9mm. Way points in the transition consisted of a Browning Hi-Power 9mm followed by a Sig P229 Legion 9mm. While I may carry any one of the four handguns cited on a given day, my increasingly favored weapon is the P365.

Going from large frame handguns to the P365 I never even considered the take down lever, slide release or, in the case of my models, an ambidextrous manual safety lever, as being anything other than simply "present". After seeing the appraisal of your gun club group regarding the excessive size of the mechanisms on the P365 receiver I reevaluated my handguns with a conscious eye towards the size of the take down lever and slide release. I still see them as being proportional to the frame of the weapon and about the optimum size for convenient operation without disrupting the ergonomic handling of the gun. I do recognize that I have a long standing bias towards large frame handguns with respectively larger components but your observations still took me by surprise. Interesting assessment.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Springfield EMP 9mm with the 3 inch barrel.

It comes with all the bells and whistles = night sights, match trigger, match barrel...

When held in hand it is shockingly compact - at least to me.

Mine is extremely accurate...Recoil is subjective - but I find it very easy / fun to shoot. Mine has also been extremely reliable thus far.

On top of function - its a real looker. Looks are subjective as well, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who says it looks like trash.

I gave the Colt Defender 9mm a good long hard look as well.

Ultimately - I went with the EMP because it was designed from the ground up to be a 9mm rather than adapted from a .45acp.

They can be pricey but as I recall I got mine on sale for @ $900 - not sure what they are going for today.

EDIT - I read your wife is comfortable with the 1911 platform and you are considering a .380...have you looked at the Browning 1911 .380's??? The Black Label model looks real nice / they are smaller than officer size 1911s as well. I don't want to add another caliber right now - but if I were adding .380 I'd have a Black Label tomorrow!

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

It comes with all the bells and whistles = night sights, match trigger, match barrel...

Mine is extremely accurate...Recoil is subjective - but I find it very easy / fun to shoot. Mine has also been extremely reliable thus far.

On top of function - its a real looker. Looks are subjective as well, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who says it looks like trash.

Ultimately - I went with the EMP because it was designed from the ground up to be a 9mm rather than adapted from a .45acp.

They can be pricey but as I recall I got mine on sale for @ $900 - not sure what they are going for today.

EDIT - I read your wife is comfortable with the 1911 platform and you are considering a .380...have you looked at the Browning 1911 .380's??? The Black Label model looks real nice / they are smaller than officer size 1911s as well. I don't want to add another caliber right now - but if I were adding .380 I'd have a Black Label tomorrow!
Thank you for the feedback and thoughts. I am thinking that the EMP or similar such as the Colt Defender is where she will land.
However, at this point, I am not taking anything caliber wise off the table, so if she like the 380, that’s what it will be.
I had forgot about the Black Label!

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, at lunch I went to Buds and tried 3 9mm’s compact guns, well 2 compact and 1 officer sized Springfield 1911.

First, the Officer sized Springer; very nice. Had all the bells and whistles.....but it was nothing special. And actually, it seemed to me that it offered nothing over the 45 auto in the way of muzzle flip and bark. What is strange, is that in comparison it felt similar to a G23 with target ammo.

This was kind of a concern because the next gun was a Sig 938, which was lighter and much smaller.

I did like the 938. It was a little tack driver, but it was definitely not a cupcake. While I am not recoil sensitive, this is not a gun I would enjoy shooting for fun, although I shot it extreme well. And despite being totally caked with carbon buildup, it was flawless.

Next up was the G43.

I love Glocks, but this damn thing did things to my finger that stung like the dickens after a few mags. I had heard of “Glock finger” , and I don’t know if this is what I experienced, but my trigger finger hurt for a few minutes after I finished the 50 rounds I put thru it.

So there it is; 3 small 9mm guns, 150 rounds and 30 minutes time. I came away with the opinion that I’d much rather have a 380 version if I was going to buy one of them ( except for the officer sized Springfield).

These are the guns the wife wants to try for weight reduction, so I thought I would go and try them.
She wants to stick to the 1911 platform, but wants a lighter gun. What I wanted to try was the Colt Defender in 9mm but the Springfield was all they had that was a close match.

Im not going to tell her I have fired them so she will have an unbiased experience. But I would not be surprised if she did not like the Sig 938. And I’m certain she will hate the G43.

Strictly my thoughts here; regardless of the gun or caliber, if it is not pleasant enough to practice with on a regular basis, it might as well be a rock you carry around. I would rather have a 380 in these sized guns that I can enjoy shooting enough to build up a modicum of skill, than something that felt like I was getting bit by a pit bull every time I pulled the trigger. Hell, I’d rather put 50 rounds of full house Magnum 44’s thru a mountain revolver than these little buggers I shot today ( speaking strictly of the 938 and G43)!

My guess is the Colt Defender 9mm will be her perfect gun since she carries the Combat Commander now and shoots it well.

We shall see....
Interesting, I was just kicking around the thought of a Glock 43.

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
I’ve started seeing FMJ 380 for close to 9mm at Target Sports USA.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I've been thinking seriously of getting another case and that price on Speer Lawman today is the best I've seen for .380 anywhere for a long time for good quality ammo! -- Even with $2.90 for shipping insurance plus our usurious state sales tax. It comes to 22.3 cents per round total price - compared to anywhere from 24 cents per round to 30 cents per round for other good brands of range ammo

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I agree with your appraisal of the P365.

I have fired almost exclusively FMJ rounds in 115gr and 124gr in my two 365s. The weapons feed, load, extract, and eject both rounds smoothly without a single failure to date. I have found, anecdotally, that the 115gr rounds seem to produce slightly less recoil and, consequently, permit quicker follow-on shot sight acquisition. I admit that this could be as much perception as reality, as the difference is not great, but with a sight radius of only 4 1/2 inches I have judged faster sight alignment after firing to be significant enough to standardize on 115gr FMJ for my EDC ammunition. I think the short-range ballistics out of a 3.1 inch barrel are about the same for both the 115 gr and the 124gr but would welcome thoughts to the contrary if anyone has evaluated data on this .
Shooting the Bull410 did a great comprehensive test of 9mm ammo in short barrel pistols. I think it was a P938, can't remember. I believe the winner was the HST 124gr. It was a very good series.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
When my wife laid claim the my kimber ultra I ordered a few boxes of different bullets weights 115gr , 124gr & 147gr HP's with average velocity for the bullet weight for my wife to try . Turns out she likes the recoil feel of a slower 147gr 9mm standard pressure ammo and the 147gr hst expandes well so I ordered a few hundred rounds of it for her . I can't tell the difference in recoil with our only two like sized pistols - m&p 4.25 pistols , one in in 9mm and the other in 40sw unless I start swapping recoil springs I can see it on a shot timer but sure can't feel it .

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I still carry j-frame S&W's for small light carry guns. I had a Glock 42 which fit my hand well and was totally reliable but I prefer a .38 spl +p over a .380 so the Glock was cut from the herd. Old habits who have served well are usually keepers. As far as a small carry 9mm a G-19 fits that bill. Sometimes I carry both.:biggrin2:
IMG_0023.JPG

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had a P938SAS, it was nice until the issue with it began. Bottom line, I like the replacement I now carry: Kimber Micro 9 Nightfall. Any of them are just fine in my opinion. I've shot 3 variations multiple x's. The CSE (Cabela's Exclusive), the NightFall (currently carry) and the Woodland Night. No problems with any of them. Also have a Mossberg MC1sc, which I've had since April 2019. For a polymer frame, it's actually quite tame feeling. Very comfortable, inexpensive compared to the metal frame Micro 9 or P938, and has been flawlesss after hundreds of rounds. Used to have a Sig P290RS, didn't care for it, traded it in. EMP's are not bad, but I like the Micro 9 more. If I were buying today, I'd look at the Springfield 911 and Hellcat in 9mm as well. Comfort in the hand, operational comfort, and comfort while shooting; those are my priorities, as well as reliability.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Well, I can’t wait until Saturday morning when we go to Buds and she rents some guns. Gonna be very interesting to see what she likes.

I want to shoot that little 938 again myself, as well as that 9mm RO.

I know she will pick a 1911/ish design, I just hope she will go with a 9mm or larger.

Heck, after shooting that tack driving 938, I’m thinking about that one for myself!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Shooting the Bull410 did a great comprehensive test of 9mm ammo in short barrel pistols. I think it was a P938, can't remember. I believe the winner was the HST 124gr. It was a very good series.
Actually, he's back. I just ran across a few videos he put out this past year:

I'll leave you in suspense so you watch the video. ;-)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Strange how people have such different experiences. I can take a little single stack 9mm and shoot essentially an endless amount of ammo through one with zero discomfort at all. Heck, I think Ive blasted about 300rds of 38spl +p through my LCR in one sitting and the only issue was losing some skin on the part of my middle finger that was against the trigger guard because I grip guns pretty tight.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Back in the pre-GCA68 Star and Llama, both Spanish manufacturers, offered miniature variations on the 1911 design.

I think the Star tooling might have come Stateside as the basis for Colt 380 Government and Colt 380 Mustang models.

The Llama was about the same size as the larger Star and today’s Browning 1911 380 mentioned. The Llama was offered in .380ACP, .32ACP, and .22LR. The .380 used a linked barrel just like the 1911. The .22LR barrel did not move with recoil. I don’t know about the .32 barrel. All three had grip safeties.

I have seen modern made Llama .380 pistols, made in the Philippines I think. Don’t know anything about its internals.

https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/first-look-llama-micromax-380-1911/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Kahr shoots like very soft and is easy to get on target
I find its because of the trigger that does not hit a wall like
all the ones you tested that makes it a tac driver..

try a PM9 and holla

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Kahr shoots like very soft and is easy to get on target
I find its because of the trigger that does not hit a wall like
all the ones you tested that makes it a tac driver..

try a PM9 and holla
Striker fired guns are not an acceptable choice.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts