Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
63 year old healthy female, had been out shopping and paying with large denomination bills she pulled from a bank envelope.

Gets home just after dark, parks car in the back yard and carries groceries to the back door. Hears someone running up to her but figures it is a neighborhood kid.

Turns and sees a thug pointing a gun at her saying "I'll shoot you, give me the purse!" and acting very nervous. She instinctively drew back her purse. He grabbed the purse and clocked her on the head with the gun. She released the purse and he ran away.

She said it had been her intention to fight the thug but she didn't anticipate getting her clock cleaned and blood flowing everywhere. She could not remember if any one followed her home. She lost her cell, about $1,000 cash, credit cards, and a flash drive with her entire lesson plan (she is a teacher).

And of course she said she never imagined being assaulted in a suburban small town area, in her own yard. Also note her husband is an attorney in private practice, but years ago he did public defender work. They are aware of the realities of crime. The Sheriff's Dept has a scent dog out there now trying to get a track in case he didn't go back to a car.

Between us all we figured the guy must have had an accomplice stop the car in the street long enough for the BG to run up on her, then he ran back for the getaway. This was a country road just out of town with 2 side streets nearby and a lot of vehicle traffic. More bold would have been for him to be acting alone and park his own car in the driveway. Since he was armed and ended up pulling this robbery, it would seem that it was to some extent premeditated. The only other option we could figure was that someone was lying in wait for the attorney but attacked the wife as a target of opportunity.

EDIT TO ADD: AS I TYPE THIS ABOUT AN HOUR AFTER THE INCIDENT, A CALL JUST WENT OUT A FEW HOUSES DOWN FOR SHOTS FIRED!!!

So what can we learn from my patient's experiences?

1. Be very cautious with flashing cash around.
2. Be aware of who is around you, and if they are watching you.
3. Check 6 before leading someone to your home.
4. Never let your guard down when doing things that are routine.
5. If you become aware of something unusual, don't assign a non-threatening explanation. Move to identify it, and counter the threat.
6. You might think you know how an assault will go down, but it will not follow your plan.
7. Be prepared to adapt and overcome.
8. Minimize your time of exposure to assault.
9. Have one or more weapons and be prepared to use them.
10. Know your limitations. Are you trained, and physically and mentally capable of fighting an armed man for your property.
11. Dimly lit back doors are no match for well lit front doors.

Anything else?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Anything else?
yeah...pull your kid out of her class...she obviously doesnt have much common sense or comprehension of the news she reads...

your list is great...what amazes me is that people can read and watch the news...i would assume an educator would...and still live in total darkness..."i cant believe i would be assaulted in a suburban neighborhood"....spending and carrying large amounts of cash in public...

sorry...rant over...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hope she's OK, and also hope it makes her more aware of her surroundings.

Also hope whatever happened with the shots fired works out for the best. That is, the BG down, and the potential victims safe and sound.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
yeah...pull your kid out of her class...she obviously doesnt have much common sense or comprehension of the news she reads...

your list is great...what amazes me is that people can read and watch the news...i would assume an educator would...and still live in total darkness..."i cant believe i would be assaulted in a suburban neighborhood"....spending and carrying large amounts of cash in public...

sorry...rant over...
^^^^ yep^^^^^:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
That really sucks!

Unfortunately a lot of people suffer from denial!

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Thanks for the post, I just sent this out to my close friends and relatives

Very good advice Gotta have SA

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I see people all the time in stores that just did their banking carrying around a wad of cash still in the envelope. When they pull it out it is an invitation to all who would stoop so low, that they are prime pickings.

Being she was oblivious to his approach having a gun of her own would have not helped as he had the drop on her already. Furthermore had the gun been in her purse she would have lost that also.

Please update us on the shots fired when you know something.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I see a new member of sheep dog coming along real soon

·
Registered
111 Posts
hopefully she was smart enough to have the information on her flash drive backed up. Unfortunately, knowing how most people think, she probably didn't. :(

Glad she's ok.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Good list.

Anything else?
Some people you just can't help.

63 year old healthy female, had been out shopping and paying with large denomination bills she pulled from a bank envelope.
She's been around long enough to know better.

her husband is an attorney in private practice, but years ago he did public defender work. They are aware of the realities of crime.
She's had enough experience close at hand that she should have known better than to be flashing cash, assuming this is how she was targeted. If this wasn't how she was targeted, it changes things some, but it still doesn't sound as if she took any precautions.

If she had a garage and used it, she might have been inside before the BG made contact.

10 to 1 she doesn't make many or any changes in her life due to this experience. If someone has been around 63 years and they don't take basic precautions, especially after having been exposed somewhat to the criminal element, I don't expect them to change now.

"Yes, I'm aware of crime in our society, but it will never happen to me.":rolleyes:

I hope I'm wrong in my analysis of her. Please, lady, prove me wrong. But I won't hold my breath waiting.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
This is just about as bad as the people walking around with a bunch of gold chains hanging around their necks. When you advertise.that you have a lot of money you are asking to be robbed. She was lucky to survive this time.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The shots fired call turned up nothing.

She did say she was going to arm up. Hope it works out for her.

Her husband made a comment about always carrying his gun around, then followed it up by saying he didn't carry often. Huh? When we left he was getting ready to take her to the ED, carrying his gun around in his hand. Guess he doesn't own a holster...

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The shots fired call turned up nothing.

She did say she was going to arm up. Hope it works out for her.

Her husband made a comment about always carrying his gun around, then followed it up by saying he didn't carry often. Huh? When we left he was getting ready to take her to the ED, carrying his gun around in his hand. Guess he doesn't own a holster...
Now might be a good time for a range trip offer and a real edgumecation...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
328 Posts
People generally get complacent on their own property, it's easy to criticize or critique after something bad happens, but we all probably get a bit lax at home.About 2 weeks ago, my wife interupted someone going through her vehicle console for change and valuables. She didn't actually see the BG, but the door was open and she could tell the person had just left. She was mad at the violation,I was happy she didn't encounter the BG in the driveway. Times are tough and crimes like this are increasing. We all need to step it up a bit and be extra cautious. Being alert is first, being able and willing to defend yourself is a close second.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Times are tough and crimes like this are increasing. We all need to step it up a bit and be extra cautious. Being alert is first, being able and willing to defend yourself is a close second.
Very true. Be safe, be armed, and be aware.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Anything else?
Yea, Franklin isn't a very good town. My wife is from Murfreesboro, NC (not any better) and her grandparents live in Courtland. With them closing down the paper plant I'm going to guess that crime is going to do nothing but rise, sad to say.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
does she really think a gun would have helped her in this situation?...she flashes cash around and still comes home with a thousand in her purse...doesnt see the attack coming?...i'm guessing in addition to financing a drug habit shes gonna arm the next guy also...

the smart thing for her to do would be to change her habits and get a clue...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts