Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am female.
I dress like a female.
I wear belts like a female (IOW, most of my clothes couldn't even accommodate a gun belt)

So, I finally figure out a carry solution! And I'm so pleased with myself. IWB, appendix carry, small 9mm, holster has a clip and doesn't need a belt. I can draw. I don't print. I can wear the clothing I need for business or even date night clothing. Yay!

But....where do I keep my extra magazines? :aargh4:

Seriously....for any of you who don't use a gun belt and carry a semi-auto, do you carry spare mags? Where?

Please don't tell me to wear a gun belt. It might be an option once in awhile, but it's not a genuine EDC option for me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I carry two spare mags in my weak side back pocket.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carry a revolver like S&W 642 .
:)

I guess I should have seen this one coming!

I originally wanted the SP101 but my hands can't handle a revolver. SA is much more comfy for me.

JD, I don't have much pockets in the summer. Winter I could keep them in my jacket.

Is there anything like a concealable IWB for a mag?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I'll say the same thing I tell my classes, carrying concealed is a product of compromise. Have you looked at the belly bands / thunderware style holsters? Most of them also accommodate an additional magazine.

Please use care with a IWB holster that isn't secured by a belt. I've seen many of the clip on style stay with the gun when drawn under less than optimal conditions. Somehow a gun with the holster still attached isn't as intimidating or effective if you can't get to the trigger. You can get good belts in narrow widths and with a good holster with the right clips your giving yourself the best chance.

Have you visited the corneredcat.com web site? Tons of good info and leads.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have you considered an ankle holster? My girlfriend carries her 642 with ease and comfort in a galco ankle holster.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll say the same thing I tell my classes, carrying concealed is a product of compromise.
Yes, it is. I wish it weren't so.

But I have looked at every available option, including carry methods and guns. I have a Smart Carry, but it really doesn't work with my clothing. I use it to carry when I'm doing chores around the house and property.

I have a belly band that I use fairly often, but it's a huge compromise as the draw is slow and clunky. But it does let me wear clothing that I couldn't otherwise wear. I could put spare mags in there, but would rather not, even when I am wearing it.

My EDC is a very small 9mm (Kahr PM9), which allows me to get away with a clip on holster with most pants. It is not optimal if the fabric is too thin. But it is stable and I've yet to have problems with drawing and taking the holster with me.

I do understand your concerns. But I think I've reached the best possible set of compromises for myself at this point in time.

It's not ideal. But I'm not very willing to dress around the gun. My wardrobe has had some slight compromises, but not much.

Have you visited the corneredcat.com web site? Tons of good info and leads.
Yes, it's a great site! and was influential to the decisions I've come to.

I think a clip on mag holder is going to be my best bet. I didn't know there was such a thing!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
See if you can get a clip-on mag carrier, whether it's designed for IWB or OWB, you can still use it IWB with the clip, and without a belt. I found some clip-on knife sheaths, nylon but some kinda stiffener in it, that work for my CW9 mags at Academy Sports.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Blade Tech makes a kydex clip on mag carrier
Here

You might also look for something like This, a clip on leatherman multi-tool sheath.
I've used a similar item to carry a spare 1911 officers mag once or twice

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
A small cordura pouch with a clip would work just as your holster does...look for them at your gun shop. A pouch for a cell phone, etc., might also work.:smoke23:

·
Registered
557 Posts
You may be better off using some sort of fanny pack that does not affect the clothing choice. There are many different styles and colors so you could match it up reasonably well. Concealed carry is a challenge for all of us. I would like to carry more firepower than my 5 shot 357 but it is the only weapon that I have found comfortable carry options for so far. I am trying to avoid two separate wardrobes, one for CC and one that fits well when not CCing.

Good luck.
Armydad

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pheobe,

This is not written from a sexist perspective, only an ignorant one (since I don't usually wear a dress)...:rofl:

Do you regularly carry a purse? If that is an option, get something to keep the mag free from lint and other stuff...

You will just have to convert to the jeans and flannel shirt look!!
Bill

·
Registered
241 Posts
No one has mentioned this yet so I will.

Some women can conceal items under their blouse or within their bra sufficiently.

Luke

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't know if you've looked at Kellogg yet. I haven't tried them myself, but a few friends have with high praises.
Anyway they have a clip on IWB holster that holds a spare clip and they will make it to your specifications.
Kellogg Custom Leather - Holsters for Concealed Carry

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pheobe,

This is not written from a sexist perspective, only an ignorant one (since I don't usually wear a dress)...:rofl:

Do you regularly carry a purse? If that is an option, get something to keep the mag free from lint and other stuff...

You will just have to convert to the jeans and flannel shirt look!!
Bill
*g*

Have you ever seen a woman rummaging through her purse to find something?!

"Oh hey, bad guy, hold still. I just can't find the full mag. Do you mind waiting a moment?"

LOL!

I suppose I could find A purse pocket and keep it there, but it would be a last resort!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts