·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I like the looks and feel of the round butt better but the square butt is better for heavy recoil management

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,897 Posts
Square butt target grips feel better for me.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Either on the j frame.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
If the question is which would I buy, I would buy the round, because of the versatility. The round would conceal better, but if I wanted the square for OC or the range, I can always get square grips for it.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Never tried a round butt but, have read a lot of other people's opinions. Seems most prefer the round for concealment and supposedly a better grip for double action shooting. I have read that the original magna square butt was designed for single action shooting which is why the grip frame is so high to make reaching the hammer easier. When DA shooting became more "mainstream" those grip adapters became popular to fill in that high grip frame.
I find it really easy to conceal my square butt though. About the only time I get any printing is AIWB with a t shirt due the the square butt grip edge. I have always wanted to pick up a round butt to try.

·
Super Moderator
17,721 Posts
Love me a nice round but, when I was active duty I carried in an upside down holster that put the grip just below the ribs and the round butt was much more comfortable plus the round butt just fits my hand better.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I don't find either one suits me. I currently have two K Frames. They both wear Houge Grips.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Big "square" target grip's on my (used to be my dad's) Model 19, with a "replica badge" on the butt of it. I like it that way, not unlike what @Mike in Texas said. NOT like I'm ever going to be changing it anyway. It came with "stock grip's", with a "Tyler T Grip" (My dad got it from a DPD "desk sergeant" whom bought it new, & sold it, claiming "he didn't like it"). I Bought a set of Pachmayr grip's and tried those also. I didn't like them, as they made it a "round butt". That's when I bought the target grip's. My Dad liked those, as his hand's were a little larger than mine (LARGE). When he hired in with the Constable's office, I had the "butt plate" made. He only carried it when he wore a uniform, in his "Sam Browne rig". (He was a plain clothes detective). It's stayed like that since.

Reactions: msgt/ret and G-man*

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love me a nice round but, when I was active duty I carried in an upside down holster that put the grip just below the ribs and the round butt was much more comfortable plus the round butt just fits my hand better.
View attachment 347879
You just have to keep showing off that beautiful gun show find, don’t ya Gene :)

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Square butt, they fit me best.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Generally:
Round on 2 to 3 inch guns.
Square on 4 inch and greater.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts