Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have good first hand experience with the new Kahr 380.....I'm thinking of getting myself one for X-Mas? Thanks!:santaclaus:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I have never touched one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
.380 has been called the a 9mm short. Everything is a trade-off, weight, length, width, etc. Impact and stopping power are also considerations. Having said all that, I carry a .380 and am more upset about the price of .380 ammo vs. 9mm. After the holidays, I finally settled on purchasing the 9mm Taurus 709S. Ammo is plentiful and inexpensive, available the world over. For the money, the Kahr 380 isn't as valuable as a 9mm in the same frame size. Just my humble 2¢

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I was able to test one at an LEO gunshow. It's tiny, akin to the Ruger LCP. Recoil was a little snappy as can expected for sush a little pistol. I just shipped one of my IWB holsters to a state agency out east for their evaluation. The agency authorized the Kahr P380 for off duty carry by their investigators.

Randy

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Look very nice...I like the fact that you can change out sights, and it has a REAL usable set of sights. The P238 for Sig is also a very nice option and you can use holsters and accessories for the Colt Mustang.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought one 2 weeks ago. Its a great little gun. My only issues were 3 light strikes, and one stove pipe out of 150 rounds. I don't know how to view the issue bc this occurred after 75 rounds. The gun was pretty dirty at this point, but I shot another 75 after the light strike occurrence without an issue......

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
I am assuming the Kahr P380 has the same mandatory 200-round break-in as their other pistols.

Can you find enough .380 ammo to break it in?

BTDT. I won't buy another pistol that has a mandated break-in. That tells me something about the gun. YMMV.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A glorified Kel Tec .380 and Ruger LCP .380 at twice the cost.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
A glorified Kel Tec .380 and Ruger LCP .380 at twice the cost.
I own a Kel-Tec .32 and have shot the Kel-Tec .380 and the Ruger LCP. There's a significant difference in build quality between those and the Kahr 380.

I bought a Kahr P380 a month ago and I haven't had a chance to test it out since .380 ammo is so scarce. I ran the mandatory 200 rounds of FMJ through the gun and did not have any issues. I ran and additional 20 rounds of CorBon and 20 rounds of Federal JHP. I did have a CorBon stovepipe, so I'm not going to carry that round. I've been waiting the Crimson Trace LG-433 to come out to do some more range testing. Recoil was not bad and it was a very accurate gun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the Kahr 40 a few months ago..wasn't a fan of the Kahr only cuz it doesn't come with a safety lever...some enjoy that feature ...I figured I'd pull it and shoot my butt off.....so went with the taurus pt145bp...
but the Kahr 40 I had shot well and is dead nuts accurate......they are reliable weapons...just not for me...

Steve

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I handled one a few weeks back, but I sure wouldn't trade my NAA Guardians for one!! But that's me!!!
YMMV

NCH

·
Registered
80 Posts
I own a Kel-Tec .32 and have shot the Kel-Tec .380 and the Ruger LCP. There's a significant difference in build quality between those and the Kahr 380.

I bought a Kahr P380 a month ago and I haven't had a chance to test it out since .380 ammo is so scarce. I ran the mandatory 200 rounds of FMJ through the gun and did not have any issues. I ran and additional 20 rounds of CorBon and 20 rounds of Federal JHP. I did have a CorBon stovepipe, so I'm not going to carry that round. I've been waiting the Crimson Trace LG-433 to come out to do some more range testing. Recoil was not bad and it was a very accurate gun.
My point was that the .380 is designed for SD, at close quarters and not a range gun. I own Kel Tecs and the LCP, so I'm obviously not bashing them, but if I have a reliable .380 that will work in a SD situation, why would I spend $600 instead of $275-$300? Point and shoot. Same size, same results.

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
The Kahr P380 does have the advantage of locking the slide open when empty. The P3at and LCP do not. While this is a feature I desire in a defensive pistol, I'm not sure it is worth double the price.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is sort of what I am grappling with. I've shot 5 LCP's out of the box & they were all perfectly reliable. The LCP sights are horrible though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the Kahr 40 a few months ago..wasn't a fan of the Kahr only cuz it doesn't come with a safety lever...some enjoy that feature .
Kahr does have a new PM9 model with a manual external safety. I believe they are shipping now. I'd imagine they'll offer the same feature in other calibers.

I don't have a problem carrying a Glock or a Kahr style pistol with one in the chamber.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
I SHOULD buy a Kahr that I can really conceal instead of these big bulky heavy pistols that I cannot! Being around Dayton, Ohio, and its surrounding suburbs, parking lot and carjacking attacks being our potential CCW scenarios at short range.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is sort of what I am grappling with. I've shot 5 LCP's out of the box & they were all perfectly reliable. The LCP sights are horrible though.
See #12 above. IMHO the .380 doesn't need great sights, as your "confrontation" will more than likely be at 7 yards or less. POINT AND SHOOT.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
My brother owns a Kahr 380, and I own a LCP and P-3at. Last Sunday we had a chance to do a little shooting. This is what my thoughts were after the shooting was done.

Sights---Easy win for the Kahr

Recoil----Kahr has less recoil, I don't know if it is from the small difference in weight, or the gun design, but it is noticeable. Remember none of the 3 guns are range guns.

The slide hold open on the left side of the Kahr is large enough to catch his holster while inserting it back in, does not affect on drawing. He has a pocket holster made of leather.

While he has not ran the full 200 break-in rounds, the gun fires FMJ fine, but has some problems with 2 different types of HP's. I don't think my LCP has 200 rounds through it, HP's ran just fine, so paying twice for the Kahr as I did for the LCP and not being able to run the HP's was a little embarrassing towards the Kahr.

Last shot hold open--Kahr has it, the other 2 don't, and they should. It is a nice feature.

Grips----The Kahr is thicker, and a little more comfortable.

If after the break-in period on the Kahr is done, and it will run reliable with HP's would I spend the extra $$ on one over a LCP or P-3at, that depends, if money is no object, then yes. If one's budget is tight, buy the LCP.

Z

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
My point was that the .380 is designed for SD, at close quarters and not a range gun. I own Kel Tecs and the LCP, so I'm obviously not bashing them, but if I have a reliable .380 that will work in a SD situation, why would I spend $600 instead of $275-$300? Point and shoot. Same size, same results.
- I agree with that observation. :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
While he has not ran the full 200 break-in rounds, the gun fires FMJ fine, but has some problems with 2 different types of HP's. I don't think my LCP has 200 rounds through it, HP's ran just fine, so paying twice for the Kahr as I did for the LCP and not being able to run the HP's was a little embarrassing towards the Kahr.
- Do you know what HP's that had trouble feeding? I've only tested CorBon and Federal. I have a box of Speer Gold Dot HP, but I'm waiting to get more .380 rounds before taking another trip to the range.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts