Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeking the Holy Grail of CC handguns for about 20 years now and have owned/carried a lot of 9mm, .40 caliber and .380 weapons ... oh, yeah, also a few J-frame Smith&Wessons. I'm essentially a Glock fanboy, but there are times I would really like a single stack 9mm (especially now that I've stockpiled a bunch of Federal 124 HSTs in standard pressure}.

When the Glock 43 came out, I thought I'd gone to heaven, so I bought two of them, added Ghost Edge trigger connectors, Ameriglo Proglo front sights with the orange ring around the tritium, and rubberized Traction Grips. Everything was fine until I learned at local IDPA matches that my right thumb was riding the slide catch lever and preventing me from going to slidelock with any degree of certainty. Sold them both, picked up another Gen 4 Glock 26 and it was like 'old home' week --- I am pretty fast and accurate with that little gun --- but the longing for a potential pocket nine remained etched in my old, retired brain cells. (Too much time on my hands and too many long morning walks.)

I've got a Ruger LCP in FDE with the red aluminum trigger and I shoot it OK for a hammer-fired gun. And, I like having a true pocket carry option with a gun made in my home state of AZ. But, I'm wondering if some of you have been having good luck with the Kahr CM9. It's only about four ounces heavier than the LCP (empty) and I've seen Hitchcock45 carrying one in an Alabama kydex holster in his right front pocket. I've owned two CM9s in the past and one PM9 and found them to be reliable, and as long as I ride that front sight during the looooong trigger pull, the bullets go where you place them. At least my right thumb doesn't tangle with the slide catch release on the CM9s.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and your method(s) of carry with your CM9/PM9.

·
Registered
10,756 Posts
I had a PM9 since before the G43 came out. Really detested the trigger pull and the lack of any trigger reset. Ultimately bought a Sig P938 and traded the Kahr with some other gear for the G43 for my wife. I think both of these pistols smoke the Kahr, but that's just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought my PM9 in 2009, and have found it to be accurate and reliable. When I need complete concealed discretion in a service caliber it's my go to pistol. I'll carry it mostly in a Mitch Rosen Clipper IWB at the hip, or in a kydex "PWII" from Aholster just behind the hip.

I use 124 grain speer gold dot +p, these have never failed to function. I'd not use +P+ in my PM9 because A) it seems unnecessary, and B) not supported by the manufacturer.

Reactions: piguy

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have had good luck with my cm9, yeah not the smoothest operating machine but so far so good for a cpl years. When kinda big pockets are you guys rockin to make this a pocket gun?

·
Registered
710 Posts
My CM9 often serves as my BUG in pants that will support weak side pocket carry. Mine has proven to be reliable and accurate.

Having 7 rounds of +p 9mms in a back up gun that works seems like a good thing.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The holy grail of handguns ?? Now that's funny . Your buying and selling handguns that serve many folks well and selling them do to your faults with them . Not the handguns .

I bought a cm9 when they first came out about 5 years ago . Its been reliable for several thousand rounds from round one . I rack the slide and never use the slide hold open as a release and feed it quality reloads for practice and underwood 124gr gold dots +P for defense but it gets little carry time now that I retired . It is not a holy grail , non are but its a good little pocket 9mm .

You really may want a CW9 kahr this time for iwb carry in a tuckable holster like a foxx deluxe trap or little foxx hybrid . Easy to cc a pistol that size between 1:00 and 2:00 and with a little rear cant tuck it a shirt .

Anyhow . There no best handgun . Lots of good ones . You have some of them and let them go all ready . Time to keep something for a few thousand rounds .

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear you hardluk ... sounds like my wife :). I've gotten so use to the Glock striker-fired trigger and reset in IDPA and USPSA matches, that my first experience with the LCP and another CM9 were not good when it came to hitting paper hostage targets. That was my primary reason for selling them; but the more I shoot the LCP in some local BUG matches and other range sessions, I've gotten consistently better with staying on the sights through that loooong trigger pull. I'm a lot more confident that I could shoot the CM9 better this time around.

Understood that it's a bit heavy for pocket carry, but I'm thinking with an Alabama kydex it might fit that bill with some pants and shorts in my limited ensemble of clothing choices since I retired and spend most of my time in AZ or up north at the family cabin in the summer. Seldom do I visit snow country in the winter anymore, by design, so smaller is definitely better for concealment. I would probably also pick up an IWB for 3:30 carry in some instances, with the G26 getting most of the call in a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment at 12:30. Despite the relative size and thickness of the Glock, I can usually get it tucked under my waistband at that position, even with the extra 10-15 pounds I've been carrying around the middle the last few years.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You got me there, CDW, I was one of those who responded in favor of the G43. So, maybe I get another G43 and forget the slide lock issue??

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
You got me there, CDW, I was one of those who responded in favor of the G43. So, maybe I get another G43 and forget the slide lock issue??
Nothing wrong with the Glock 43.
I've got the PM9 and PM40 , also a K40 and my wife has a P9 we have had no issues with them.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/188961-kahr-k40-slim-comfortable-steel-i-like.html (Got rid of Glock 36 and got another 30 since then :redface:)
You sure it was your thumb or could the bullet have made contact with the slide stop lever (out of spec) knocking it up?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CDW - I don't have a G43 to look at right now, but the idea of the bullet hitting the inside of the slide stop lever and knocking it up would force it into an early slide lock, correct? My problem was that I couldn't make it go to slide lock reliably. Never had an issue with premature slide lock.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
There is a little spring that puts tension on the Kahr slide stop, causes trouble if it gets bent.

·
Registered
283 Posts
my cm9 has been flawless, no issues at all. I only pocket carry it and to be honest, I don't pocket carry much anymore. It sits in the safe a majority of the time and I'm considering selling it because I rarely carry it. Great gun, great pocket carry 9 but I carry something bigger if I'm going to carry IWB.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Kahr works perfectly. Small, light, easily concealed, nice trigger, reliable...

I hate it anyway... that weird contour in the trigger guard pinches my trigger finger. I heated it and changed the contour as much as I could and it's better but I'll probably never learn to like it....

But the problem is me, and not the gun...

Ymmv....

·
Banned
145 Posts
I always recommend the CM9. I think it is a great bargain. It was my easiest to carry pocket gun. Just fit perfectly for me. Never had a problem with it but sold it when I got my Sig P938. My only complaint is that it requires a 200 round break in. It may jam during the break in period until it is broken in. I prefer to buy a gun that is reliable out of the box that only needs to be tested for reliability and not broken in.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If you like the glock 26 for a larger carry pistol then buy a glock 42 or 42 as a smaller pistol . Not a good idea to mix glock grip angles . Keep the trigger pull and grip angle as close to the same as you can . IF you look hard at kahr then the cw9 is closer to the g 43 in size. CW9 is shooter by 1/3rd " and taller by .1/4" . Change to the metal mag bas and its very close to the same height . Then compare the g26 to the sig p250sc will have a trigger pull that's very much like the kahr line pistol along with the some grip angle . Its also a thinner pistol than glock and 1.06 slide and 1.10 grip .

Vinnydee The 200 round break in is as much about the shooter as the handgun . The kahr is a plus P pistol from the start with heavily sprung recoil system not an occasional +P pistol like the p938. Racking your baby sig and you should have felt the difference . I start off with a box +P 124gr 9mm to help loosen up that recoil system a bit and quality ammo , my reloads after that . I stop shooting then I see I'm adjusting my grip between shoots . Better to shoot 50 to 100 well control and accurate rounds at a time than just bang ammo tell you mess up and cause a FTF. I have 4 kahrs and many thousands of rounds fired and never a single issue with any of them .

NO handgun is gar-O-tee'd reliable out of the box ether . That's only proven with rounds down range . There has been a fair share of p938s cause owners issues too .

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bschwan-send me a personal message on how much you might want for your CM9, please.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts