Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my chl for about a month now, and am currently carrying a hk usp compact 40. I carry the usp in a crossbreed supertuck at about 5 o'clock, but it is a bigger gun and feels like my pants are about to fall off. The other problem is I don't have a butt so the grip of the gun sticks out a bit, and is probably the reason I can't keep my pants up. It feels a bit more comfortable to carry it at 3 o'clock and my pants seem to stay up. Anyway I have been looking at subcompact pistols to carry and want to hear some feedback on which one I should get. The 2 that seem the best are the kahr p40, and the springfield xd subcompact 40. I like the features on the xd it also holds 9 rounds and 12 with an extended mag, but it doesn't seem much smaller than my usp. The kahr p40 feels great in my hands and is very slim and lighter than my usp. The problem is the kahr only holds 6 rounds, and I don't think it has any safety features. Is there extended mags for the kahr? I like the kahr the best, but if it only holds 6 rounds I might want to consider a j frame like a s&w hammerless or something. I am also open to other suggestions. Any help would be appreciated not sure which one of the 3 I should consider. Thanks for your help sorry for such a long thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The problem is the kahr only holds 6 rounds, and I don't think it has any safety features.... I like the kahr the best, but if it only holds 6 rounds I might want to consider a j frame like a s&w hammerless or something. ...
Hmmm... There’s a lot going on here…..

Capacity: 6 (Kahr) is not enough, but you’re going with .40 rather than 9mm, and a J-Frame with a capacity of 5 is OK?

Caliber: My impression is that you wanted the perceived effectiveness of the .40 over the 9mm, but then the J-Frame would presumably be a .38 or .38+p. I recently studied and *agonized* over the question of 9mm vs .40 in a "small" CC item and decided that 9mm was the correct choice for my particular situation and criteria. But, there is no shortage of reading material on that debate, here’s one:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull.../91063-9mm-fine-ballistics-data-included.html

Safety vs no safety: Other than being double action from a resting state and the required trigger pull, the revolver has none. Personally, in a small CC semi I prefer to carry something which offers an initial Double Action trigger pull.

Example: I carry my current EDC semi, safety off, hammer down, so that the initial trigger pull is Double Action, then Single Action on follow ups. Being a long term electro-mechanical techno-nerd I know that complexity breeds confusion and failures. Simplicity can sometimes be an advantage.

Type: Revolver vs Semi. You just can not beat the reliability and simplicity of a revolver. But then capacity and reloading might shadow a very good thing.

There are a lot of issues to consider, but might want to take each of them one at a time, arrive at the answer best for you and your application, and then see what fits your criteria.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Kahr has extended 7 round mags available for the P40. Have you considered the Glock G27? It's smaller than the XDc, though not by much. I have a G26 and think it's about one of the best CCW guns around. I carry mine with the std 10 round mag and carry a G19 (15 rds.) mag for a spare.

Have you considered the Kahr P9/CW9 series? I have a CW9 and carry it quite a bit, too. I carry it with the std. 7 round mag and carry two 8 round mags as spares... The CW9 has pretty much replaced my 642 for small carry gun, since I can pocket carry it...

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Definitely look at the Glock 26 or 27. It's a great gun. I have one and I carried it for years and years. I recently changed to a Kahr PM9 simply because it is much lighter and thinner than the Glock. My suggestion would be to go to the store and try them both and see which one feels more comfortable.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My vote would be for the XD as I like the safety features of that gun. As to the grip, you have to remember that there needs to be enough meat on the grip to control the gun with sweaty hands. What feels good with dry, calm hands will feel different when you are pumped with adrenaline. Obviously if the grip is too big then it is too big and you have to look elsewhere. Concealing is a challenge. The only thing that I have found that I can consistently conceal with my body build, etc. is a S & W 649 357. I am giving up rounds compared to most semi's but the reality is that most defense shooting occur in less than 20 feet. So either I hit them or at least their ear drums take a beating. The bottom line is whatever you choose you have to practice, practice, practice so that every movement is second nature.

Good Luck!

Armydad

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well, I'll have to tell you that I LOVE my Kahr P40 and I think it's the perfect carry gun. As a single stack is disappears, it's weight makes you forget that you have it on, and .40 out of a 3.6 barrel is a big plus.

Only six rounds? Ahem. That's 6+1. That's plenty to manage multiple perps if you are shooting to hit the target. It does not give you enough rounds to spray out supression fire as per one school of thought on gun fight survival.

As for reliability, it's a typical Kahr. It was rough during the first 200 rounds, good to about 800 rounds, and flawless since. I've even shot a few IPSC matches with it :danceban:

The XD is a great gun and I used to own a 4 inch XD. I'm a regular over at XDTalk.com and rest assured I have nothing but respect for Springfield in general and the XD's in particular. Just - I carry every day and I found that I could carry my Kahr without printing, and my XD bulged out a bit more than I wanted. I was grabbing my Kahr or a 1911 every morning and eventually I read the writing on the wall that the XD just didn't fill my need for a carry gun.

These pics were taken last year .... enjoy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts