Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not as extensive as I would like, but here goes. I took it to the range Saturday while shooting with my parents. We each took a turn shooting a mag or two at 25'. All ammo used was Winchester White Box 115 gr. FMJ. I thoroughly cleaned the gun before firing and lubed it up with Tetra Gun grease and Rem-Oil. Accuracy was very good from all shooters, we each got 3" groups or better offhand at 25'. None of us had any failures to fire or eject.

Now for the bad part. At least 10 out of 68 rounds wouldn't feed into full battery. The slide would stop about 1/4" short of full closure. This happened most often when loading the first round from the magazine. It also happened during fire, but not as often. In each case, a sharp tap to the rear of the slide seated it fully. Since I haven't completed the 200 round break-in, I'm not too worried about it, but I don't like it either. At this point I have a few theories; the chamber may be too tight, the recoil spring may be weak, the grease may be thick enough to jam up the works, or the cheap ammo may not work well in this pistol. Have any other Kahr owners had similar problems, and if so what was the culprit? I'm going to try different ammo next time, and I'll lube it with Rem-Oil instead of grease to see if that fixed the problem. Next is the recoil spring, then a call to Kahr.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Pass on the Rem oil that stuff doesn't work worth a crap..

Hopefully after the 200 round break-in it will run good for ya

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
dont sweat it yet , kahrs are kinda infamous for that issue ( not returning to full battery ) untill broken inn, my personal view is that the little beast is still getting the plastic moulding of the frame ground off the rails ... keep us posted tho

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Sounds like a "Fluff and Buff" might be a good idea.

I do this with all my pistols - it can be as simple as a
detail strip/check for burrs,rough spots - or you can
do a complete light polish on moving parts.
(NO POWER TOOLS)

I find this is almost the equivalent of firing acouple hundred rounds,
but do your breakin per the manual of course.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
My two cents so be careful with it...

Be sure you didn't go too heavy on the grease/oil then get a couple hundres rounds of white box and have at it. I suspect it'll disappear by then. If not I'd give it to Kahr and I wouldn't be surprised to find they change out the spring. How hard is it to rack the slide? Of course that's a subjective question. Mine take a definite effort. It's certainly not what I would say as "easy".

I wouldn't be one bit concerned until after I'd fired 2-300 rounds and it kept doing the same thing...

So back to the range with it, after a thorough cleaning and very light lub.

God Bless

Gideon

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, glad to hear this isn't an uncommon issue. The slide isn't too terribly difficult to work, but I have unusually stong hands so that doesn't really say much. It'll go to the range again tomorrow to complete the break-in, if the issue remains I'll try a stiffer spring then talk to Kahr. To be continued...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts