Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the weather warms up I may have to add to my herd. One gun I am thinking about may be a Kahr PM40 or a PM45.

I would like opinions on recoil due to its small lightweight design. Also are these beauties small enough to place in pocket?

·
Registered
581 Posts
My PM40 ejected shells into my forehead at 100 mph and drew blood. That can't be good especially without safety glasses.
:aargh4:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
When the weather warms up I may have to add to my herd. One gun I am thinking about may be a Kahr PM40 or a PM45.

I would like opinions on recoil due to its small lightweight design. Also are these beauties small enough to place in pocket?
They like all Kahrs are great CCW handguns. As far as recoil, thats always subjective and it depends on you and your sesitivity to recoil.

You can carry these handguns in a pocket if the pockets are big enough. It would not be practical in jeans or slacks but in a coat its fine.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The PM 45 is notably larger than the PM 40. The PM 40 would get my vote, if pocket carry is paramount. The 45 is good IWB or Smartcarry/Thunderwear.

I had the 45, and it was a good gun for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a CW45 and love it. I actually shoot it better (more accurately) than full size .45's. Maybe its the off center guide rod that offsets recoil/flip, I dont know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have a CW45 and love it. I don't think the recoil is all that bad. I'm a small guy too.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
I carry a P9 on a daily basis. I have held the PM9 and find that the slightly larger P9 feels better in my hand. The P40 or 45 might be easier to hold or shoot than the smaller PM models. They are not that different in size.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have small hands so the PM40 fits me just fine with the extended mag in it. It is my most used carry weapon, I can point shoot with it better than any of my other carry weapons and it is very easy to conceal. If you can find one to shoot try it out to see how it fits you..

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
You can carry these handguns in a pocket if the pockets are big enough. It would not be practical in jeans or slacks but in a coat its fine.
The PM40 works in jeans for me. Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I wear loose fit Lee Carpender jeans, or the Wal-Mart equivalent.

The PM 45 is notably larger than the PM 40. The PM 40 would get my vote, if pocket carry is paramount. The 45 is good IWB or Smartcarry/Thunderwear.
Agree. I could not carry the PM45 in a pocket, the grip and magazine base adds about 3/4'' in overall height to the 45 compared to the 40. I do carry the PM45 in a Smartcarry when wearing sweatshorts / sweat pants (no belt) and it's a perfect combo.

I also have a CW45 and love it. I don't think the recoil is all that bad.
Agree. I shot 100 rounds of Federal 185 JHP through my PM45 in one day during initial break-in without discomfort.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts

I'd go with the PM40. I've read that some have had problems with the .45. FWIW

GBK

·
Registered
829 Posts
Not real familiar with Kahr's but if going with a 45 why not lightweight 1911 or G36. From pure written research and reviews that is what I would do... JMO

·
Registered
30 Posts
Owned many Kahrs. The PM9/40 are both more concealable than the PM45. All the Karh's I've had have been great little shooters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I carry a PM45 in a MTAC at 3:00 as my EDC. I love that gun. Absolutely disappears IWB, but it is a tad big for pocket carry. It will fit in the pocket of my Carhartts, but not really in other pants. If I am forced to pocket carry I go with my Keltec PF9.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I tried the CW9,CW40 and the .45. I found the CW40 to work best for what I wanted. I needed a pistol to fit in my coat for winter use.
So I ordered the CW40. I am waiting for it to come in.
Semper Fi

·
Registered
103 Posts
I rented both guns at my range, I didn't like either one. They seem like too much bang for such a small package. They also hurt my hand on the web in between my thumb and my first finger after shooting them. I like the size and weight of both of them. For the same size I got a kimber ultra carry II it is only 10 ounces heavier and it has safeties which the kahrs don't have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts