Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently handled a Kahr PM9 with the black finished slide. To me, the slide felt very rough and acted like it did not want to return to battery. I own a PM9 with the stainless slide and it functions flawlessly, but the slide has a much smoother feel. Has anyone else who has handled both noticed this?

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I've noticed this with a lot of different autos. I'm not sure if it's the finish or simply a bad fit due to mass productions. If I were to buy a new EDC auto today, it would be a Wilson Combat.
Regards,

·
Registered
895 Posts
i actually like all black slide better,but don't know why the stainless would work any smoother then the all black? mabey a lemon?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
My guess is that the blackened slide on your gritty sample would have been just as gritty if it had...been stainless. Luck of the draw, that's all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
PM9 needs a break in of around 200 rounds. It should be smooth after that but the slide does feel very stiff when pulling back. This gun needs religious cleaning and lubricating. If are the type that does not clean your gun after every range session this probably will not be a gun for you.

I would definitely get the blackened slide since that finish is much more corrosion resistant. If you are going to carry it in your hot sweaty pocket it will be worth it. Regular stainless steel is no match for human sweat.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My best friend has a PM-9 with a black slide I have one with a stainless slide we swap guns ocassionally I did not notice any difference other than the color.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Are you talking about a nib factory finished version, or one that was refinished by someone?

If it was a factory job, I'd say it was the luck o' the draw.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PM9 needs a break in of around 200 rounds. It should be smooth after that but the slide does feel very stiff when pulling back. This gun needs religious cleaning and lubricating. If are the type that does not clean your gun after every range session this probably will not be a gun for you.

I would definitely get the blackened slide since that finish is much more corrosion resistant. If you are going to carry it in your hot sweaty pocket it will be worth it. Regular stainless steel is no match for human sweat.
Actually I've gone a couple of range sessions between cleanings without incident during break-in. The total betwen both sessions was 200 rounds but the only problem I had was caused by my thumb hitting the slide stop.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you talking about a nib factory finished version, or one that was refinished by someone?

If it was a factory job, I'd say it was the luck o' the draw.
NIB factory - I think. I wasn't looking to purchase (was using it to try out a holster) so I didn't ask. It almost felt like the recoil spring was weak. Of course, I wasn't looking to buy it so I didn't examine it that closely but I happened to think about it later.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You may want to call Kahr and have them look at it. I haven't needed them but have heard they have very good customer service.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have the black DLC on my PM-9 and have never encountered a single hiccup with it. I assume since you were handling it in a store you weren't locking the slide back and using the slide release to send it home. If you were easing the slide down, it would tend to be normal on a new gun for it to not close up completely, DLC or stainless.

Hoss

·
Registered
491 Posts
If it was NIB then it could be a lube issue. I know some guns come from the factory very very dry and my PM9 definitely needs to be well lubricated.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
I can't accept the luck of the draw that seems to be more and more prevalant these days. Gun manufacturers are racing to stock the shelves and deliver new carry options to the market. The result....bad quality control. In a firearm, that's not acceptable. I've complained a great deal about Kahr when it comes to quality but they're not alone. Even old S&W is sending out a lot of stuff that they're getting back. We work hard for the money, so should they.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Both of mine are stainless and I thought about getting another set in the black but with most of my other guns being all black, I figured I'd go with something different. I didn't notice anything different when fondling them in the gun shop.

KCGator

·
Registered
34 Posts
My P9 has a blackened stainless slide...zero issues. I chose the blackened version because of color preference.

Curious: is the Tennifer (sp?) finish a Glock exclusive? That stuff is incredible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts