1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Register guns to take aim at urban crisis
By C.W. GUSEWELLE
The Kansas City Star

As last year drew to its close, a story in The New York Times reported a bit of encouraging news. In what is by far the largest U.S. city, population nearly 8,364,000, the total of 466 homicides in 2009 was the fewest in any year since 1963.

Doing the math — dividing the number of people by the number of murders — it meant that one New Yorker out of every 18,000 was at risk of being slain.

It piqued my interest, so I decided to run the numbers for some other major American cities.

In Chicago, with 3 million people and 509 homicides, it turns out that one person in 5,894 was murdered.

In Los Angeles, population just over 4 million, the 742 victims amounted to one in every 5,480 residents.

Lastly, I did the computation for our city, Kansas City, this sweet and civil Midwestern place we celebrate as the Heart of America, with a population of 475,800 and a 2009 murder count of 110.

It came to one person killed for every 4,326 people who live here.

No way! I thought. I did the calculation again. Then a third time. The numbers don’t lie. Statistically, the risk of being a homicide victim in Kansas City is 21 percent greater than in Los Angeles, 27 percent greater than in Chicago, and — try to get your mind around this — more than four times greater than in New York.

In short, this community we call home is an uncommonly dangerous place.

How to account for that? Maybe a trained demographer could come up with an explanation. I certainly can’t, and neither can our local police.

In our town, as around the country, there were some circumstances in common. Firearms, predominantly handguns, were by far the perpetrators’ weapons of choice — used in 94 of the 110 killings here — with the greatest numbers of victims between the ages of 16 and 34.

Families are shattered. Promising young lives are cut short. Whole neighborhoods become virtual prisons, where leaving home after dark, or even sitting on one’s own porch, may be an act of recklessness.

By one means or another, it must be stopped!

Will someone please tell me when the last time was that a well-intended protest march or a street corner prayer session prevented yet another senseless gun death?

I don’t ask that just to be provocative. My uninformed guess is that the actual life-saving effect of these public displays of anger and sorrow amounts to exactly zero.

The victims are buried. Their loved ones grieve. And the rattle of gunfire continues uninterrupted.

I’ve heard the slogan, “Guns don’t kill people. People do.” True enough. But guns are the killers’ preferred tools. It’s clear that unregulated firearms are key contributors to this crisis in American urban life.

I speak as someone who has hunted for more than a half-century, from my 20s onward. My days afield with friends, and often with dogs, have been a cherished part of my life.

As a matter of preference, I own no handguns. But even guns meant for sport can be misused in criminal ways. And for that reason I would welcome, and vigorously support, the mandatory registration of all firearms, including hunting guns like mine.

I would be altogether happy to provide authorities with a description, by make and model, place of origin, gauge or caliber, and serial number.

But in calls to my local police department and sheriff’s headquarters, I determined there presently was no provision for receiving and storing such information.

In fact, any talk of meaningful gun regulation in this country is all but meaningless.

What do you think?

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I hope is stays meaningless. Someone wanting to put there head in the sand and let some law take care of what cannot be taken care of. Register all guns. Hmmm i think we are there already. I know the last rifle I bought I had to fill out paper work on. So somewhere there is a paper trail. For sure there is a paper trail on my pistols. How much more is needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you want to register your guns so bad, move down here to Omaha, NE. They'll be more than happy to register them for you. In fact, the law requires you do so upon entering city limits. :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Pete14

Like many you are not looking at the root cause, guns, knives, baseball bats are not the problem.

You are right I doubt protest help in anyway except maybe raise a little awareness, but awareness for what?

The problem is a lack of respect for life and a society of people who only look out for themselves. How did we get to where we are? I believe there is a combination of factors; 1 the break down of the family structure, 2 a lack of hope, 3 dependence upon government, and 4 an entitlement attitude.

Instead of protest how about men standing up to their responsibilities and being the head of the household, when things get hard work harder at your relationship. Be an example as a father, work hard and stop depending on the government. Stop thinking you are entitled to everything and expecting a handout. Stop with the victum attitude.

Look at the real cause of problems, guns are not the problem spend your time, talents and treasure working on the root causes.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry Pete, history tells us that compulsory gun registration is the first step to collecting them all, ask Adolph. Taking away the guns will not fix crime, as Elk Hunter says criminals will switch to knives, bats, sticks, rocks or whatever is available, check out England no guns but lots of knife murders. A well armed militia is what made this nation and a well armed militia is the only thing keeping the Obomunists honest.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
And how many of those guns used were bought and possessed legally?

and I can't help to assume some (or most) of the deaths were gang related. So, if a gang member shoots another gang member, is it really: "Promising young lives are cut short."

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
unregulated firearms are key contributors to this crisis in American urban life.
All firearms in this country are already highly regulated. There are thousands of pages of state and federal laws, rules, regulations, prohibitions, forms, and case law that dictates how you can manufacture, tax, repair, buy, sell, give, store, load, carry, transport, operate, discharge, and dispose of a firearm. If that is not highly regulated, I don't know what is.

The only other thing that I can think of that is so highly regulated is alcohol.

I think he means firearms in the hands of thugs who are willing to commit robbery, rape, and murder are are key contributors to this crisis in American urban life.

The argument that one more regulation is going to solve all our social and crime problems is fundamental flawed. Criminals are not bound by the law. Any new regulations will fail just like the old ones have. Criminals are only bound by "street economics". They are the last true capitalists.

·
Registered
65 Posts

I would be altogether happy to provide authorities with a description, by make and model, place of origin, gauge or caliber, and serial number.

What do you think?
I fail to see how the registration of weapons will cut down on crime of any type. Especially the registration of the weapons of honest people.

Cars are registered and that doesn't cut down on traffic violations.

Voters are registered and that doesn't cut down on voter fraud.

Letters can be registered and I still get junk mail.

So explain this to me. How will registration cut down crime?

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Hey guys, those are not Pete14's words. It is an article from a newspaper.

The writer of the article has no clue. Registering guns are not going to stop gun violence. Criminals don't care about the law. The idiot who wrote the article would probably happily turn in his guns when the call for confiscation came down. If he wants to go stick his head in the sand and pretend that registration will solve the problem, there is probably nothing that can change his mind.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amen to that! I just posted the article. I actually have unregistered guns and am happy about it!

Wow talk about jumping to conclusions.

Calm down I don't plan on taking your guns or making you register them!:wink:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Calm down I don't plan on taking your guns or making you register them!
Good thing Pete! That statement definitely won't get you into the NRA Hall of Fame.

·
Registered
406 Posts
How does making it more difficult for law abiding citizens to own hand guns keep criminals from obtaining illegal hand guns? Where is the logic here?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
How many of these upstanding citizens possessed the guns legally?
How many had multiple convictions?
How many were let back on the streets by bleeding hearts?

My experience is that most gun crimes are committed by hardened criminals, with multiple arrests/convictions, and no respect for law or life. How did they get that way? Bleeding heart liberals in positions to think they can be "rehabilitated" by slapping their wrists.

Want to solve gun crime. Give the laws their teeth back. Make the risk of being caught outweigh the risk of doing the crime. Don't lay the gun crime issue at the feet of gun owners when it belongs at the feet of the people who return these thugs to the street to pray on unprepared citizens. I'm tired of that crap! And I'll take the heat for saying it if I have to.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
This is why I cancelled my subscription to the Kansas City Star years ago.

It is nothing more than a liberal rag that always supports a certain liberal party. (Where's the puking emoticon when I need it?)

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
So...if I register my guns I will prevent a number of murders in Jacksonville? I guess that should mean if we all register our guns there will be no more murders.

I wish he would explain how that will work.

Wait, I just thought of something -- the thugs that are doing the killing might not register their guns.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
History tells us that registration is the first step towards total confiscation. While I don't think that registering a gun is that big of a deal, what it represents and leads to is.

Why do people always justify this view by saying "I have guns and love hunting..." as if this is supposed to make us not realize what they are really trying to do? Maybe they truly believe that registration and restrictions would make us safer, but are too ignorant to realize what the politicians are really trying to do?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
The whole article is a rant against crime, yet it fails to answer the question of how registration of the firearms of upstanding people is going to stem the tide of anonymous crime by criminals.

What you get with registration is:
  • A full and complete list of the firearms owned by all upstanding citizens.
  • A nice little list for the "authorities" in the event an unauthorized collection of civilian firearms is agreed upon by those more powerful (at least, more brazen) than the upstanding citizenry. In short, the first precursor to disarmament would have been fulfilled, with this damned list.
  • And full and complete inability to account for and track the weapons used by criminals, let alone the inability to stop them being used by criminals.

So. Why register, if the criminals' firearms aren't on the list anyway? To what end, if the flow of arms across the borders continues unabated anyway?

At best, it would salve the conscience of people weeping for something to be done, even if it didn't achieve anything but risking further destruction of the 2A. Me, I'd prefer that something worthwhile be done, and that it be aimed at criminals ... NOT us.

Exactly so. Aimed at criminals, not us. If it ends up not addressing the problem of how criminals acquire so many firearms so easily, then it's a fairly worthless and irrelevant step.

Quite simply: having someone know the serial numbers of my N number of firearms doesn't stop criminals in my town from obtaining their weapons elsewhere and continuing to use them unawares by police, undocumented by any system, and unrelated to the sexy registration I have performed for the autocrats.

Figure out a step that will actually achieve reduction of tools in the hands of criminals without taking them from citizens, then we'll have something to talk about.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
How does making it more difficult for law abiding citizens to own hand guns keep criminals from obtaining illegal hand guns? Where is the logic here?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Tell us how that is going to work :rolleyes: I think to many HEAD FIRST slide is gloggin your noggin :wave:
H/D

·
Registered
894 Posts
By C.W. GUSEWELLE
The Kansas City Star

And for that reason I would welcome, and vigorously support, the mandatory registration of all firearms, including hunting guns like mine.

But in calls to my local police department and sheriff’s headquarters, I determined there presently was no provision for receiving and storing such information.

In fact, any talk of meaningful gun regulation in this country is all but meaningless.

What do you think?

Dear C.W. GUSEWELLE

You obviously have no clue what your talking about. Here in NY we are registered, Finger printed, Licensed and we have "Ballistic finger printing".

We call this plan CoBis or "Combined Ballistic Identification System" ( CoBIS or GUN DNA:A waste of millions of dollars, a waste of police manpower. ) which has cost the Tax payers of NY approximately 32 million dollars. This brilliant program has not solved ONE SINGLE CRIME since it's inception. Maryland tried this type of program, but they are smarter than NY'rs and dropped the program as it was to expensive and did not add ANY VALUE WHAT SO EVER to prosecuting criminal cases.

Further, registering our guns does do two things. It lets the government know exactly where to go TO GET YOUR GUNS, and how many firearms you have.

There is no intrinsic value in registering firearms, other than making boneheaded politicians and folks like you feel good.

Thanks for listening. If you want to register your firearms move to NY, you'll enjoy the "experience"

:aargh4::banghead:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Why do people always justify this view by saying "I have guns and love hunting..." as if this is supposed to make us not realize what they are really trying to do? Maybe they truly believe that registration and restrictions would make us safer, but are too ignorant to realize what the politicians are really trying to do?
Those words are usually a telling factor to me what their true political ideology is. I think they know they won't convince people who strongly favor the Second Amendment. They try to convince people who aren't as informed and possibly sitting on the fence that they aren't radicals trying to take away our firearms, but rather concerned citizens looking for common sense gun laws (more codewords) to combat crime. Those who park their views in the middle like that probably aren't aware that these people are patient and this is a step by step process to take away our firearms with registration eventually leading to confiscation. The "boiling frog" metaphor comes to mind.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts