Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just because you have a legally owned firearm in an emergency situation doesn't mean that the GOVT. can't take it away and trample on your civil rights.:mad:

Straight from Yahoo news:

New Orleans Police to Return Seized Guns
By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Wed Apr 19, 9:23 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS - Under pressure from the National Rifle Association, police this week began returning guns confiscated after Hurricane Katrina.

The police department is making the guns available three days a week. At the close of the second day Wednesday, police said only 17 of about 700 weapons had been returned.

Police and soldiers removed guns from houses after the storm flooded the city, and they confiscated guns from some evacuees.

The NRA and other groups sued the city, saying it took away people's means of protection amid the lawlessness that gripped New Orleans.

"Natural disasters may destroy great cities, but they do not destroy civil rights," said Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation, which joined the NRA in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit was dropped after the city agreed to return the guns.

Some owners complained it was difficult to get them back. Gun owners must bring a bill of sale or an affidavit with the weapon's serial number. Police also are running criminal background checks on those claiming weapons.

Some gun owners found the weapons were evidence in a crime and not eligible for release. Others did not have the proper paperwork.

Percy Taplet, 73, said the National Guard and state police confiscated his shotgun when they arrived to tell him to leave his house. When he tried to get his gun back this week, police told him he would have to contact state police.

"I won't ever see that gun again, believe me," Taplet said. "It's gone like everything else in that storm."

Police Superintendent Warren Riley said police had legitimate reasons for confiscating weapons.

"We took guns that were stolen that were stashed in alleyways. If we went into an abandoned house and a gun was there, absolutely we took the weapons," he said. "Obviously there were looters out there. We didn't want some burglar or looter to have an opportunity to arm themselves."

O.K. it makes sense to take them from alleyways, but from evacuees? :confused:

Reactions: blackhawkfann24

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Doc Holliday said:
New Orleans Police to Return Seized Guns
By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Wed Apr 19, 9:23 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS - Under pressure from the National Rifle Association, police this week began returning guns confiscated after Hurricane Katrina.

Some owners complained it was difficult to get them back. Gun owners must bring a bill of sale or an affidavit with the weapon's serial number. Police also are running criminal background checks on those claiming weapons.
So, these AHs figured out a way to keep people from getting their guns back.

Most of these people lost their house and everything else...... You know they have their bill of sale handy! :mad: What a crock!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Still pretty much a lose-lose situation. As Rick says - how many folks have all their paperwork now!

Maybe we should all have some distinguishing mark on each gun - so at least by description we could make a valid claim in such circumstances. Sure ain't gonna memorize every serial #.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
The whole New Orleans situation has been shameful. Government overreaching is one reason why the founding fathers wrote the 2nd Amendment into the Bill of Rights.

Let's hope the situation activates the call from citizens to hold the mayor and other responsible parties accountable come next election.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Poor folks get victimized by the storm....then by the gov't....and finally (again) by the gov't.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Proper procedure on the police departments part should lead to evidence lists as well as incident reports on every single confiscation. It "shouldn't" be hard to track down the "official" paper work - that being the paper work from the police describing when the gun was illegally taken from the owner. Of course this depends on them not being negligent in documenting all that in the first place.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
If we went into an abandoned house and a gun was there, absolutely we took the weapons,"
Lemme see if I get this right. They forced people out of the house. Now the house is "abandoned" so they can pretty much ignore the Bill of Rights and do as they please?

Reactions: Eagleks

·
Registered
750 Posts
Each and every citizen who had a gun stolen from them by the local government or their representatives, should file a lawsuit against them.

Any citizen who's firearm was returned to them in any condition less than it was before it was taken, should also file a lawsuit.

In fact, I'd like to see the affect people FLOOD the system with lawsuits! Give those currently "under-employed" shysters something constructive to do! Let one of them see just how many different grounds they can find to bring suits and hopefully criminal charges against the officials involved.

Under these circumstances, I could even get to like lawyers! :image035:

mm

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I believe today is the mayoral election in NOLA....I hope Nagin gets his rear handed to him.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hate to say it, but I think that idiot will get re-elected. The politics in that state, especially in the New Orleans area, are as twisted as the worst cartoon makes it out to be.

mm

·
Administrator
143,594 Posts
The folks that DO get their firearms returned...I just wonder what condition they are in now?????
Probably originally confiscated and tossed soaking wet into the back of a truck. I sure that they are rusted pieces of junk by now anyway. That is truly sad.
AND...how many people that were totally flooded out (and lost EVERYTHING) are still going to have paper receipts and serial #s available?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to ask, how come nobody shot a National Gaurd solder or any other person while confiscation was going on? I know it sounds funny to ask this, but I get this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach, that I would not give mine up, although I didn't go through it, I just have this feeling. And what if a disastor happened in a State that had a lot of realy pro gunners there...how many of you would give your up?
Especially now that we have seen what they will do.

This all bothers me, I got a bad feeling when I heard this was happening, and started asking myself would I draw down on my own troops to keep the only thing I had left, my guns.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm thinking this could get ugly. . .

Can't say exactly how I would react. One part of me says "never give them up," another part of me says I cannot fire upon an LEO, or a member of the National Guard.

May well be these guys are home-town people. I know, I've been one. I can tell you right now, they in no way, shape or form, relish being at odds with their own countrymen. More than likely, they will follow orders.

Best bet, if you think they are coming, hide the good stuff, keep some "throw-down" pieces to "surrender."

Fire on them, and they will "pry it from your cold, dead fingers."

Wanna' be a dead "hero?"

mm

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm thinking it could get ugly also, and I too understand about firing on our own men and Women, (I have a son in the NG)...and of course the dead hero thing.
But when it gets ugly, that means there might be more than just one or two people that don't want to give them up. Remember, the world watched this happen once. Next time there might be a pretty good size group of people that says, hey, these are OUR guns.
The NG fires on a group of citizens to get their guns, it's making headlines. It will be in the light then for sure.
Also, after talking to some NG people that have been in for a while, it's not at all clear if they would fire on their own citizens because of being under orders, depends on what it's about.

This has happened now, once. It's going to be harder to happen again.
Yes, could get ugly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jimster said:
I have to ask, how come nobody shot a National Gaurd solder or any other person while confiscation was going on

I asked the same thing in another fourm. Fact I went as far as to say you would be justified shooting any member of the Guard or LEO for what they did. The trouble is most people look at the ones in government as their friends. All to many times they are the enemy of your freedom. Most people don't read the true history of the country. They don't know how many times that the Military and the people in LE have been turned on the workin person by our own government. Let me list just a very few.

1-Lincoln County War
2-Lodlow Massacre
3-The WW1 vets camped at Washington DC to get the money the government had promised them.
4-Ruby Ridge
5-Waco
6-Now New Orleans

This is just some of the major times. I bet the majorty of the American People couldn't tell you one thing about the above times.

I don't look at the threat to America as being 12,000 miles away. I look at the threat as being from the ones who run the country. Both the Republicans and Democrats in Washington are a threat to our freedoms

·
Banned
159 Posts
In my opinion, Mayor Nagin, NO Police Chief, and all those who put forth the order to confiscate, should be arrested and tried for ARMED ROBBERY. They kicked down private citizen's doors and stole property at gunpoint. They should be treated as the common criminals they are.

At the very least, all those who had their firearms confiscated should be filling civil rights lawsuits.

NRA should have not dropped their lawsuit.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
750 Posts
lostone1413,

I don't look at the threat to America as being 12,000 miles away. I look at the threat as being from the ones who run the country. Both the Republicans and Democrats in Washington are a threat to our freedoms
I think the surviving families and friends of about 3,000 people in New York might take issue with a threat to America not being 12,000 miles away.

As to your last two sentences, exactly what do you advocate doing about it?

mm

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
In my opinion, if a National Guard military personnel confiscated guns in New Orleans after the hurricane, they followed an illegal order and should be up on charges. The military's own code of conduct not only allows one to refuse an illegal order, but makes it a violation to not report said illegal order futher up the chain of command than where the illegal order came from.

As for any cops involved, they definitely broke the law above and beyond what is commonly allowed in the performance of their duties. Again, they should be prosecuted and taken to civil court.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.