·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kansas City Police Shooting Vid

full video:

YouTube - Police Shooting

KCK Officers Cleared In Deadly Shooting

Kansas City (CBS) - Kansas City, KS police released video from a police dashboard camera Wednesday of a deadly shootout.

A grand jury cleared officers of any wrongdoing in the Sept. 6 incident at a south Kansas City park.

Officers responded to a report of a car crashing into a tree at Isler Park, with the driver walking off.

Officer Eric Turner's dash-cam shows a short interaction, with the man casually approaching, then calmly raising a handgun, pulling back its slide and firing.

A second officer's dash cam shows Turner taking cover behind his patrol car door.

The second officer runs forward to assist, the suspect continuing to point a gun at them even after he had been shot and fallen to the ground.

The driver, 36-year-old exae chavez-gutierrez, died in the exchange. The officers, with 40 years combined experience, survived without a single gunshot.

The chief of police commented in his blog Wednesday, saying, "I am releasing this video to show you the dangers KCPD officers face daily. We also are committed to being transparent. No officer ever wants to kill another human being, but as you can see in the video, sometimes they are left with no choice."

Police say may never know why the man fired his gun.

They say a tox screen showed marijuna and alcohol in his system, but nothing else to explain his behavior.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
anytime, anywhere, even your local park.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Why did a grand jury have to clear these 2 officers? Is the video not evidence enough to prove they were justified in shooting this guy in self defense?

I noted how long it took the officer on the right side of the car to get his spare mag out and reload. This is real life proof that no matter how much you train, it doesn't come close to actually being in a real gun fight. Glad both officers went home that night.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both officers showed remarkable restraint.
I agree. If he was still breathing with his gun in his hand, they could have turned him into swiss cheese.

I love the diving flip for cover of the officer on the left. I was sure he had been hit (a la hollywood style).

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Dash Cam Video Of Police Shootout - Kansas City, KS

LiveLeak.com - Raw Dash Cam; Deadly Police Shootout

Warning: This video is hosted on liveleak.com which can contain some adult content.

That said, there were plenty of shots fired by the perp in the white T-shirt, and the officer at the front of the vehicle. Would like to see some stats on shots fired vs. hits, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Glad the Good Guys are OK.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Gald that the guys are Ok. Did you notice the size of the Leo on left side and How long did it the other officer on right take to reload ? Understandable he was in panic mode but isn't it what Leo's train for.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
One less dirt bag on the street.

Good thing the LEO at the back of the car didn't have to run. As out of shape as he is, he'd probably of keeled over by the time he reached the front of the car.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Hitch,

I did notice both. I didn't comment on the size of the second LEO because I didn't think it was germane to the topic at hand. That said, he looks to be extremely overweight, his department must have some pretty lax physical standards.

I don't know that I could reload any faster than that officer did under such a stressful, adrenaline-filled situation.

Did anyone notice if the second officer fired any shots at all?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hitch,

Did anyone notice if the second officer fired any shots at all?
Oh yeah he fired quite a few. Watch it again and you can see the muzzle flash from his pistol.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
By second officer I meant the heavyset guy at the back of the car.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Gald that the guys are Ok. Did you notice the size of the Leo on left side and How long did it the other officer on right take to reload ? Understandable he was in panic mode but isn't it what Leo's train for.
Unfortunately, no (for most) - check out the thread on LEO's and range time.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Looks like slim got off 3 rounds.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Notice how many shots were fired. LEO's were still giving commands for the offender to disarm. Either they missed or they do what is right....keep firing until the target changes form/is no longer a threat

·
Registered
587 Posts
What's with all the anti-police sentiment? Yes, police can gain weight - just like anyone else in what's essentially a non-physical job. Not so many skinny truck drivers out there either. If you drive a car most of the day and run strange schedules, you'll probably put on weight too. If it's anybody's fault, it's the department's. They ought to maintain fitness standards and provide time/requirements to work out.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
It's a real good thing the BIG guy didn't have to go far to take cover or he would be taking a dirt nap. The second guy did seem to take a long time to reload.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
How did the dash mount camera zoom to pick up shooter in white shirts face and his pistol firing and then zoom out to catch the whole scene?

Not being LEO I know nothing about such things.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Some questions about 'conditioning', but two 'live' cops, and a dead perp...problem over.:congrats::congrats:

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
How did the dash mount camera zoom to pick up shooter in white shirts face and his pistol firing and then zoom out to catch the whole scene?

Not being LEO I know nothing about such things.
I think the first part was taken from the camera from the other patrol car then edited to the second car to get the action that camera missed.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts