Defensive Carry banner

Keep my Kimber or get another Glock 19??

3K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  G19 
#1 ·
Which pistol should I get/keep?? I am an ex-cop w/a non-shooting wife (she is NOT anti-gun, but is simply not that "in to" guns) who is wanting to standardize calibers once I get my CCW permit (soon)(I expect to find a couple of standardized caliber guns w/ a LOT of ammo on hand to be a really GOOD feeling:danceban: ). I currently own 2 pistols, a Series I Kimber (adj. sights) Target 45acp and a Glock 19, both with regular sights ?? (I plan to add Tru-Glo nite sights on the G19). My wife can use the Glock far easier than the Kimber, plus have 16 rounds on tap. These guns will be used for both home defense as well as the outside chance that my wife will take a good training course & get her CCW permit. Also, If I sell the Kimber, I can probably buy a NIB G19 w/ light rail plus the surefire to put on it. So, should I keep my Kimber or get another Glock 19?? Your opinions wanted & WHY??? Thanks, Bill.

#3 ·
+1 on the Kimber....
But there are other 9 mm options out there that she may like as well:
Sig, HK, Beretta, etc....
You already have the one Glock, although I see your point in wanting to standardize....

#8 ·
Let her try a Kimber Ultra CDP.

A friend (Navy carrier pilot) likes the Pro CDP and Procarry because the 4" Kimber can accept the Kimber 22 conversion kit. His wife (a surgeon) likes her Ultra CDP.

#10 ·
Why standardize on caliber?

What is the advantage of having all your handguns in one caliber? As I look in my ammo cabinet, I see 10 different calibers, and sometimes I will shoot each of them. I also have a golf bag that has about 13 different clubs, and a tool box with 40 different tools.

A variety lets you adapt to the situation at hand.

#13 ·
I'm a die hard 1911 fan but there's validity in having two weapons that use the same mags. You and your wife could easily back each other up if needed and if one gun fails mechanically, the mags function in the other.

Overall I'd agree with the others, keep the Kimber AND get a second GLock. Save up or go the layaway route if you have to.
Jack

#15 ·
Let the wife choose , get/keep what she likes is my opinion lol

#19 ·
i am a die hard 1911 fan. I am surprised that a 1911 and a glock both fit your hand, and you shoot both well. When I point a 1911 I am always looking down both sights with a good picture. I can not do that with a glock.
I understand your wanting to standardize, I am wanting to go to all .45acp. single stack 1911. all mags fitting each other, with the exception of my ultra carry mags in my full sizers.
If you can swing it, keep the kimber, they will only go up in value. consider it 'man china', a family heirloom so to speak. IF you like glocks and shoot them well, then I am for standardizing firearms that all the mags will fit. and who knows, maybe someday the wife will come around and get her ccw. That is what I am hoping also...maybe our wives could take it together.!? lol....
Bottom line, find the one you shoot best and standardize to that firearm.

#20 ·
Guess it depends on what ya like. I standardize my pistol(defensive) type, so the safeties all work the same. HK USP, 1911. Personally , I don't like to sell firearms, but it all in what ya like and can afford.

#21 ·
rocky is on a roll will the good points. I also again agree with him with the safety's being the same for carry. I 1911 CC all the time, different size versions but the exact same saftey and set up.

Ti.

#22 ·
If you are that apt to sell the Kimber maybe it is just not for you. I wouldn't right off .45 just based on standardizing ammo.....maybe there is better .45 out there for you.

If you are more comfortable with 9mm---by all means-----buy another. I would get something other than what you already have though. Variety is the spice of life.

#23 ·
Welll. We're in a "crest" in arms ownership, currently, and most industry watchers agree that things will get appreciably tighter in the near future (Dan Shea -NFTCA, Bob Houseman, et al.) Given that, I'm all for standardization. If you can, put the 19 on layaway, and buy a couple of spring packs, some mags and ammo. If you can't afford to do that, I'd sell the Kimber. If they are toys, "variety" is indeed the spice, if these are tools....arguably the better choice is Glock- overall they simply run better more consistantly. Good luck!:wave:

#24 ·
My 2 cents.....and I know it's different than what most of the others said.....but it's my humble opinion. Standardize with 9mm Glocks for a bunch of reasons. 2 19's use all the same parts and magazines, same ammo, and give the best self defense handgun platform that there is - again, in my opinion. Keep it simple - makes life easier. And...how do you define "soul" in a handgun. To me soul is a handgun that works every single time you pull the trigger, is easy to work on and replace parts, etc. It simply delivers without fail, every time. I've heard about too many problems with Kimbers to want to trust my life to it. I know to some the Glock isn't a "pretty" gun - who cares. "Pretty" is meaningless when your life is on the line. The most beautiful gun to me is the one that delivers the goods every time you pull the trigger. Good luck with your decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.