Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having second thoughts on my recent purchase of a Mini 14. I like its more traditional lines - wood stock, M14 heritage, etc., but it is seemingly less accurate and harder to accessorize than other choices in a semi-auto 5.56.

As a happy Armalite AR10 owner, I appreciate the platform. Even average AR15s seem more capable accuracy-wise than Minis, and accessories, especially reliable cheap mags, are in bountiful supply, unlike Ruger's counterparts.

I'm into the Mini for about $900 after you count the red dot mount and scope. Add another $150 for extra Ruger mags (I couldn't get any aftermarket mags to run, plastic or metal).

Switching to the AR is the logical alternative. I figure that I can probably get on trade a decent well-appointed AR15. Or can I?

Of course, I'd love to just go out and buy an AR15 and hold on to the Mjni, but I don't have that in the budget right now.

What is your opinion regarding Mini 14 vs. AR15? Maybe there's a different choice that I'm overlooking?

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,771 Posts
I have both but my Mini is an early one and they were not known for accuracy especially after they heat up. I am not sure what the market is right now For the Mini but the fact you have a supply of Ruger mags that may help the price some. The way prices have fallen on ARs in the last few months you may be able to make an even trade.

I do like both rifles but if you want more accuracy and a better assortment of mags and accessories you may be happier with the AR.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
As far as which platform is better for your needs, only you can answer that. I considered the Mini 14 at one time but a few perceived advantages of the AR-15 persuaded me to buy a Colt LE6920.

I would expect you will lose at least 40% in value to trade your mini 14. So you may not get a comparable Ar-15 unless you are willing to kick in more money. How bad do you want the AR? You can get a moderately priced AR in the $500-600 range and keep both guns.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Given the current political climate, I'd want an AR if I didn't already have one. The question is how much are you willing to kick in to get it, buy either selling the Ruger or just buying one outright?

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I would buy a quality stripped lower and go from there. This way you can keep both. As long as you have a lower and invest in some magazines you can slowly put one together without dropping the cash all at once. If you want a great rifle for the dollar find yourself a Colt 6920($1000) and call it a day. The newer mini-14 isn't a bad rifle. Older ones had a skinny barrel and would have poor grouping. AR-15 is hard to beat in the 556/223 world.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I like mini-14s, I guess that's probably why I have 2 of them and a mini-30. I also have an AR-15 which never gets shot. And no none of them are accessorized, minus a scope on the AR. Ive never seen the need to put another 500 dollars worth of battery powered crap on a firearm. Call me old school, hold on, my carrier pigeon just landed on my widow sill.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
You should get the AR but...keep the Mini-14 (you may have trouble getting what you have in it, so why not keep it and get rid of something else.) Just my .02 worth!

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are accurizing struts that can be put on the Mini-14 that vastly improve accuracy, I know, I've done it to mine, both mini-14 an -30. Both of mine are newer models but it still helped!! Even though I have an AR(More from keeping a rifle I've used for over 20yrs) I prefer the Mini's. Factory magazines are the only way to go with the Mini's if you want them to work right.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Mini 14s have (generally) gotten more expensive while ARs have gotten (relatively) less so. I own variants of both and have considered your same quandary. I, like you, appreciate the less-"tactical" (<I've grown to hate that word) appeal of a wood-stocked Mini. Here's what I decided to do. I swapped my Mini 14 for a Mini 30 because EVERYone NEEDS a 7.62x39 carbine & I'm not very fond of AK/SKS variants. Then I kept my M4-style AR for my 5.56 platform. Since you've already got an AR10, your battle long guns are pretty-well covered. Enjoy whatever YOU decide. :yup:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
...You can get a moderately priced AR in the $500-600 range and keep both guns.
If possible, I might consider keeping both.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Absolutely keep it. Your just going to be throwing away $100-200 bucks if you try and trade it and you'll regret not having a cool gun like the Mini someday. Pound for pound is the AR a better 5.56 platform? Probably, but the Mini has a certain cool factor that you will appreciate at some point in life.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
You wont get 900 bucks for it ..Sorry thats MSRP ..So keep it and buy a striped lower

Did you get a newer mini that has the heavier barrel if not there is one of your problems ..If so Accu strut and others make barrel braces ..

Frankly to me a Mini is not really a match(unless you use the 556 only match model) gun or a make pretty gun it is a crude simply throw in car rifle

·
Registered
187 Posts
Man, I'd get rid of it and jump on an AR-15. Selling that thing is going to be hard though. You might be able to trade for an AR, but I don't see that one happening on my local boards.

I know they aren't the most accurate or whatever, but the price of the mags is what kills me on that particular gun. Plus, they are proprietary and don't take AR mags :icon_neutral: but shoot the same cartridge. AR mags are so much cheaper.

Sorry for the rambling. I'd say get rid of it and get into an AR if better accuracy is what you are concerned with.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Keep the Mini, Hillary is just going to take your AR anyway and give you half its value if that. My mini gives my zero problems will hit a 12*20 steel torso target at 100yards with open sights mag after mag to the point that it gets boring, steel ammo, brass ammo I never worry what I'm loading in it and for me the mini just fits better. I have 6 mini mags and I'm not going to war so that's plenty for me, might put on a scope of red dot eventually but that would be about it, simple, reliable, plain.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Now don't get me wrong I also like the AR platform and figure eventually one will find its way into my safe but it's not on top of my must have list.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
One thing about the Mini-14 is the quality is consistent. AR's quality can vary tremendously between the various brands. I have had both and like both quality AR's and Mini's!

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Mini-14 isn't black, thus not categorized as an "assault" type firearm. I'd keep it. Just sayin'...
Actually .... it is on the ban list that the Dem's promote. They have a 10/22 on the list.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Keep the mini 14 and continue to save for the AR. JMHO

1 - 20 of 25 Posts