Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A medic will tell you: "Don't remove the knife from a knife victim" because it can cause a worse injury, especially serrated blades.
Well here goes ~ If an assailant gets the better of you with his blade example: (right in the gut) should you do everything you can to keep him (or her) from removing their blade and risk a deeper wound?
Or should you let them retract their blade, try to compose yourself, and take another shot at the disarm?
Please don't respond with: "If somebody pulls a knife you should run." that's common sense.
You know the scenarios, "cornered" "protecting family" etc.
Nobody ever discuss this, never.
OK ladies and gents...let's get heated. :boese51:

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Probably going to be the least of your worries

·
Registered
431 Posts
If someone stabs you in the gut, and you struggle to keep them from removing the blade, you will cause further injury. The idea of not removing an impaled object is not to reduce further damage, but to reduce bleeding. The blade may be tamponading a severed vessel. If a BG stabs you, just pull your weapon and blow his stinking head off.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
It's pretty much a frying pan or fire question.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
You already let someone get too close.:hand1:
That said, I can't believe that they'll be a discussion on "What do we do now?"...if you did get stabbed, now finish what you meant to do prior to that 'problem' and then get to a hospital.:gah:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Of course you should do what you can to retain the blade, but not by holding it within the wound while it is being wrenched around within the wound, during a struggle between you and your assailant--that would just make things worse. But do attempt to disarm your assailant so that they can't use the knife to inflict additional wounds on you.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you're asking if you should remove the knife from the wound while still struggling with the attacker, then I would say absolutely. Even if he doesn't have control of it anymore, it could get moved around during the struggle. Imagine if you fell on it! The near-certainty of further injury far outweighs the blood loss you would experience from the open wound.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Let us change this for a minute, say your friend or love one was stabbed and you are defending.

Once the threat is down or gone and you are tending to love one who is now in great pain and help is maybe minutes or hours away or just not coming.

Now what do you do, remove blade or leave it in?

Personally I would tend to remove blade and apply pressure as the blade maybe contaminated with who knows what, so get it out and use pressure to control bleeding as much as possible.

As far as trying to retain blade within self while in a defensive fight, who knows what would happen in the heat of battle.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The recommendation regarding not removing a blade or other impaled object is as mentioned, to minimize bleeding (damming affect of the knife inhibiting bleeding) and further damage that might occur by attempting to retract the object.

That recommendation is based on the assumption that you have stablized the object for transporting the individual to a medical facility.

Having a knife handle or some length of an impaled object sticking out of the individual while they are still in a heated confrontation opens up the possibility that the knife or object could be thrust further into the individual or otherwise knocked around increasing the severity of the damage.

As someone else said, its a frying pan versus fire situation but my thinking would be to remove the knife and if possible turn it against the attacker. I would think that having a knife sticking in your gut while you're still trying to defend yourself would be a major distraction.

·
Registered
398 Posts
When this question was first posed, I thought maybe it would almost turn into a weapon retention situation, you trying to keep the knife away from the BG but I'm glad there are more informed opinions, gut shots are rough, they can really inhibit your movement.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
This questions seems like kind of a no-brainer.

If someone has a knife stuck in you, even assuming you get a chance to grab it, why would you try to keep it stuck in you? You'd only be fighting somebody to control the knife and jarring it around, causing massive internal hemorrhaging and organ damage.

And that's assuming you even got a chance to try and fight for it and were capable of doing so after being stabbed.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Heh..when I got stabbed in a fight long ago (16yrs old)....I wanted it out of me ASAP!!! It friggn hurt!!

Though after the first stab didn't give him the desired effect he then attempted to slash me in wich my baggy shirt helped save me from a major slash.....by then people were coming to see what was happing. Him and his buddy took off between some houses.

They never got those Jordans they wanted.

TO this day when I see somebody get stabbed in a movie or the like, I wrench a bit cause I can relate how it feels.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If someone stabs you in the gut, and you struggle to keep them from removing the blade, you will cause further injury. The idea of not removing an impaled object is not to reduce further damage, but to reduce bleeding. The blade may be tamponading a severed vessel. If a BG stabs you, just pull your weapon and blow his stinking head off.
What he said.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
you want the blunt answer....

1) learn some techniques to avoid getting stabbed....
2) if they do and lean in..... put the gun against their head and pull the trigger
3) if they are good with a knife, you wont' get a chance, they will slice and dice you faster than one of those food choppers on TV. Don't ever let them get that close.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry, but you are going to have to ignore the knife that is ripping your intestines apart. You should have used your weak arm as a shield etc...
Ok that went bad now do everything you can to kill that sucker or to get away.
Your first act regardless of what is going on is to kill the threat.

Apply pressure, usually wont help much with internal imjuries requiring surgical intervention but do it anyway. There is "the golden hour" Generally speaking if you receive life saving medical attention within an hour of an injury your'e chances of survival are greatly extended. If you get caught in the splean etc well sorry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
whe n everybody gets a chance read small knife large skills. thanks for everybodys input this cool to see the answers

·
Registered
236 Posts
i forgot to mention everybody doesnt carry guns
Every honest, law abiding peaceful citizen should. The other will anyway, we just need parity.

If you get stabbed, straight puncture and the bad guy leaves the knife in the hole you're lucky. They will try the figure eight or or cake mix stroke if they can. Or multiple stab wounds.
On the bright side, you will have 10-15 seconds of motor control to allow you to shoot him a lot. And the knife wound makes justification a moot point.
If they have a knife and are within 21 feet and aggressive shoot them. Better to argue in court than at the Pearly gates.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sorry, but you are going to have to ignore the knife that is ripping your intestines apart. You should have used your weak arm as a shield etc...
Ok that went bad now do everything you can to kill that sucker or to get away.
Your first act regardless of what is going on is to kill the threat.

Apply pressure, usually wont help much with internal imjuries requiring surgical intervention but do it anyway. There is "the golden hour" Generally speaking if you receive life saving medical attention within an hour of an injury your'e chances of survival are greatly extended. If you get caught in the spleen etc well sorry.
Liver, kidneys, bad, high lung and you drown. A bullet resistant vest won't stop a knife thrust, but it will stop a stab, slash and gut.

The good thing, is most criminals prefer to get submission by threat, you have a 50.50 chance they won't go for your throat or kidneys.

A help won't come to your aid if the guy is still standing or has left you to die and is still a threat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts