Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a recent incident at my house I decided to purchase my first ever shotgun and was wondering what the consensus on keeping the mag tube loaded all the time was? Won't this create excessive wear and tear on the spring? I'm not worried about the cost of replacing a spring but I am worried about the spring failing when I might need it most.

Right now I'm keeping the shottie within arms reach and I have a full saddle on the stock. However, the more I read here the more I question my decision to keep the mag tube unloaded.

On a side note: I gathered the family together recently and went over scenarios in the event someone tries to get in the house / gets in the house in the future. Everyone was given their responsibilities and now knows the game-plan.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Springs wear out when cycled, not when left compressed or relaxed. Keep it loaded, otherwise you have an expensive club. Of course, keep it locked up if kids are present in the home.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I agree....keep the mag on my 870 loaded to full capacity with 2 3/4". I also keep a spare mag spring.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I keep my FN TPS loaded one down in the mag and chamber empty. That way I can pop a slug in if warranted.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i keep mine with 6 in the tube, none in the chamber. it sits next to my bed, but i also dont have to worry about kids in the house.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Of course you can keep it loaded. How would people have used unloaded guns all these years?
And, it's a shotgun, not a "shottie."
I was going to let the "shottie" thing slide, but MAN that just gets under my skin! :rolleyes:

Ok, I feel better, back on topic:

Yes, you can keep it loaded! :smile:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Keep it loaded, away from the kids (if any), locked up when your not home, and close by when you are. That spring will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Springs are cheap and don't wear out from compression. They wear from cycling. The last thing on earth you want is to need to use fine motor skills like loading the mag in your 870 with a BG in the house. That needs to be done, because you won't HAVE any fine motor skills at the time. The gross motor skills to pump the action will be there but that's about it.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
The last thing you want to be doing is trying to load shells in your shotgun while an intruder is in your house.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
As has been said, keep it loaded.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You can call your Scattergun a Shottie if you want to. I don't care what it's called as long as you know how to use it and if it were pointed at me I'd just call you Sir. Keep it Cruiser Safe, Mag loaded, Chamber empty. I like Tactical Buck for the house and Slugs for general application i.e. hunting, patrol. If you are really concerned with penetration of building materials use Turkey Loads, #2, BB, or #4 High Brass. I'm an Instructor not a cop BTW. And this is not "Instruction".

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
My coach gun is just inside the safe. There are five shells on the stock, and two shells sitting on a ledge above...when I pull out the coach gun I can load the two 'sitting shells' in an instant, but I do not keep the shells in the coach gun.:22a:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Never realized "shottie" was a bad term. I've always heard them referenced this way along with "scattergun" etc. Looks like the consensus is to keep the tube loaded and chamber empty and that's what I'm going to start doing.

Eventually, when $$$ and time permit I plan on getting my CHL and a pistol for daily wear but for now the pump will have to do. I hope to never have to use it for SD but if the need arises I want to have the best odds of protecting my wife and kids.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! Never realized "shottie" was a bad term. I've always heard them referenced this way along with "scattergun" etc. Looks like the consensus is to keep the tube loaded and chamber empty and that's what I'm going to start doing.

Eventually, when $$$ and time permit I plan on getting my CHL and a pistol for daily wear but for now the pump will have to do. I hope to never have to use it for SD but if the need arises I want to have the best odds of protecting my wife and kids.
Thats's odd, my coach gun still fires if I call it a 'shottie'...not a problem for me or my gun.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree, with the others. Keep it loaded! That bad guy isnt gonna wait until you load, pump, point & shoot. Eliminate some of these steps, and only require yourself to have to point & shoot once your shotty is retrieved. Retrieval time is enough without having to do the rest as well. The spring will be fine. I've keep mine loaded and ready to go for over 10 years. I shoot it periodically but once I do, I reload it and store it in the ready-2-blast mode!

JUST MAKE SURE IT's SECURE FROM THE KIDS!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Yes, keep the defensive shotgun loaded and please for the love of sanity stop using cutesy terms like shottie!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Inside the house move with the stock to your shoulder and muzzle down, don't sweep your feet. Be ready to drop to one kneee if it is grabbed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts