Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a CHL and my wife will have hers in a few weeks. We've begun to talk a good deal about situations and how to react. The challenge is that you can discuss situations until the cows come home, but the one time in a lifetime when a SD situation arises it will not correspond to one of the 100 situations to which you've given thought.

My advice to both of us is that you've got to boil things down to a very simple thought process, a simple flow chart in engineering terms. I think the specifics will vary by individual, but that process has to be manageable under stress. We've got some books on SD, but more on the legal aspects of SD/HD (since we live in CA!). I'm going to look for a sticky in this forum that may list other resources and of course we'll take an advanced CCW class as soon as she gets her ticket.

If anyone knows of a good resource that boils things down to a simple checklist please respond.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I have a simple checklist.

1. Learn to understand the motivation behind the man in the mirror.
2. Learn to acquire a style of self defense. (see rule no. 1)
3. Learn to view the world in Jungian style archetypes. (see rule no. 1)
4. Learn to study self defense law. (see rule no. 1)

You will need a mantra. I am a human being is a good start.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Edit: I forgot what might be the most important part, no. 4

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
I look for people who don't seem to fit with others in the group. Homeless that are mixing with tourists, People carrying too much stuff at the shopping mall etc... And stay away from them

I also look around for others working with them.

I look for all the exits when I enter a building. I take note of stores with back doors. Where will those doors take me? Etc...

I made a game of this when my kids were little Did you see the guy with the puppy? Was he just walking it or was he trying to attract attn to himself? [ Stay away from him!] When two of my boys went into law enforcement they had an easy time picking out people doing ordinary things from those that were looking for trouble.

If you are watching the people around you the BG's will avoid you. You will be more likely to be able to ID them later.

These are simple things that anyone can do. altho they are not self defense they are good self preservation techniques. DR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts