Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a lot of you know the exact number of rounds you've fired through a particular weapon in your arsenal, even if that number is in the thousands. I was curious how everyone keeps track of these round counts. Just a shooting journal or something along those lines?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I actually use a simple spreadsheet on the computer that I fill in after time at the range. The record keeping helps in anticipating the need for spring changes in pistols and, when I sell a gun, it is nice to be able to tell a buyer what has been through the gun. I also include notes on how various loads shoot/function in each gun for future reference.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Personally, I keep a log. Simple pocket sized spiral note pad from the dollar store. One for each weapon. If at some future date I want to sell the weapon, I have a log showing the shooting history. I also log quick cleaning and full cleanings.

Its easy for me though, I only take one gun of each caliber to the range at a time most of the trips. I keep the empty boxes and count the empties when I get home. Then I note in the log date and round count (modulus 50rd boxes).

·
Registered
20,256 Posts
I couldn't tell you, but I often suspect a lot of that stuff is really just a best guess.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I keep a log, but only started that recently. I think part of it was wanting to calculate, or at least observe the propensity of my carry guns to fail or have issue. I do like the idea of counting for potential spring change issues though I would prefer to be able to "feel" the need for a new one.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I don't keep track. I'm an accountant by day, and the last thing I need is to turn my hobby/passion into work. If I see another Excel spreadsheet today, I will
just have to go run out and jump in front of a bus. :yup:

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I doubt anyone has an exact count. But most folks I know that keep up with round count keep a log. I also log bullet performance with different loads. I started doing this as a hand loading log.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I average. I usullay only shoot 100rds per session and I usually only have time to go to the range 1 a month. Average how long I have own my gun and there is your answer. The problem is, I forgot when I bought my EDC.

·
Registered
600 Posts
When my M&P 9 was new, I kept track of the first 800 rounds by keeping the boxes and writing how many rounds fired on the box top. After 800 rounds of no issues, I stopped keeping track as I figured it was 'good to go'. Never did keep track of .38/.357 rounds. Figured no point if shooting a revolver, as far as reliability goes.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
On guns where it matters I just keep a general educated guess going based on how often I go and how many rounds I normally shoot. It just gives me a ballpark. When I feel like I am getting near or could be getting near a spring change I usually just change the spring. Spring changes give me another reason to go shoot too, an added bonus.

·
Registered
935 Posts
On the primmer box inside lid I put the number that box is #20 would be 20 thousand rounds when it is finished and so on.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,923 Posts
I track around the first five hundred rounds through a carry pistol candidate and around one hundred for a carry revolver candidate. After that, it is just a SWAG. I have multiple carry guns and if one acts up, I switch to another one and repair the one with issues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet log on an iPad and update it after every range session. I keep track of firearm by caliber and rounds by ammo brand/type. I also record the number of rounds I shoot myself, my wife, or guest.

I set up a data entry page, then have a summary page that reads the input and calculates totals by weapon and caliber, as well a totals rounds by caliber by individual. I recently set up a summary that shows me the rounds shot each month by caliber to help me estimate my purchase goals (this has really been thrown off since the beginning of the year).

I don't claim perfect counts, but they are
pretty close. I know this kind of record keeping is not for everyone, but I find it useful for myself.

By the way, one thing I haven't kept track of is the number of dry firings on each firearm. I'm too far down the path for meaningful numbers even if I started tracking this now, so I probably won't bother with it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use an app called ColorNote on my phone. I have one note in list mode that I use to track round counts on each of my handguns. I always update them when I am done at the range.

·
Registered
42,101 Posts
I only made it as far as ten before the range officer insisted I put my shoes and socks back on. After that, I have no idea how many rounds I've shot thru any of my guns. The guns don't care, only say, "Thank you, sir. May I have another!"

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I doubt anyone has an exact count. But most folks I know that keep up with round count keep a log. I also log bullet performance with different loads. I started doing this as a hand loading log.
Nope, exact count for me. Same as Wolfiesden, I keep a log that I have found comes in handy if I ever sell a gun. I can also show you exactly when each of our cars has had an oil change or the tires rotated. I often times misplace my keys, though, and that just irritates me as organized as I think I am.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I keep a log, but only started that recently. I think part of it was wanting to calculate, or at least observe the propensity of my carry guns to fail or have issue...
Get an M&P and you won't have to do that. :hand5:

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
My guns have fired 45,574 rounds since August 29, 2010.

My most frequently fired gun is my Ruger MK III Target, which has fired 15,915 rounds (or 15,916 if you count the factory round).

Excel. So there you go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts