Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my holster collection grows I’m thinking about how I want to mark them to know which goes with what firearm.

How do you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
As my holster collection grows I’m thinking about how I want to mark them to know which goes with what firearm.

How do you do it?

Wish I had so many firearms that I couldn't keep track of what holster goes with what pistol. That's a good problem to have.

·
Premium Member
33,899 Posts
All my carry holsters are molded. That said, there is no confusion on which guns fit which holsters.

Reactions: NavCop

·
Registered
697 Posts
My solution has been to get rid of holsters that aren't as good so only the best stick around. Most are molded leather for a specific gun so it isn't so hard to keep track of them and many have been labeled by the manufacturer.

When there are so many you can't keep track of them, it is time to thin the herd.

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
When the gun fits the holster....

Reactions: NavCop

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I letter each holster using a sharpie - A, B, C, and so on. (yes, I am up to A-1, B-1, C-1, and so on.) I also made a spread sheet which shows which holster goes with each gun, and also shows which holsters fit more than one gun, and so on, with an evaluation of fit as well. A holster designed for a particular gun is listed for that gun "as designed". It may fit another guy very well, and for that gun is listed as "good fit". If it's not nearly a perfect fit, it's listed as "usable". If it's a poor fit, it's not listed. For instance, the holster for my Rough Rider Heritage is designed for that gun, fits perfectly and thus is listed "as designed". It also fits my Security Six perfectly, and is listed as "good fit". My .45LC will fit it, but doesn't really fit perfectly, so is listed "usable". The LCR doesn't fit very good at all so it is not listed.

·
Vendor
1,616 Posts
You know I used to stamp what gun a holster was for on the holster but for what ever reason about 80% of the time I suddenly develop deisleskcia and stamp it backwards. After having to rebuild countless holsters I stopped marking them.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,826 Posts
Mine are all molded leather and stored on top of the safe. Every once in awhile, they avalanche.

The good news is that a molded leather holster with an open bottom will fit a Colt, S&W, or Ruger double-action revolver of the same caliber from 2 1/2" to 8" barrels.

I have both right-hand and left-hand OWB holsters for most of my primary carry guns. Sometimes, I carry two primary guns.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I only keep the ones that work best so not an issue for me. I keep no more than 2 holsters for any gun usually one OWB and one IWB but, still trying to get that down to one. Variety of gun and/or holster is NOT a good thing for a self defense tool.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Most of mine are pretty obvious. The few that aren’t I just see which one the gun does or doesn’t fit properly in.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
My holster builder carves it in the back of the holster, along with my initials.

I don't always use the correct holster though. I have some holters for Redhawk and 629 that fit 686 and GP100 well enough that I will use the 44 holster for a 357 even though I have the correct holster for the 357. Can't cram the 44 in a 357 holster though.

I wouldn't be surprised if I have other holsters that I have carrided the wrong gun in.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts

How do you do it?

As you can see, I have a "color-coded container" for each "variation"!

Shipping-Containers.jpg

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
In addition to using a Sharpie on the back, I also try to order some in different colors or Kydex patterns.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Sharpie for the ones I have trouble with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts