Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sent some photographs, by a friend who's son is in Iraq at the moment. They show what happens when a sandstorm hits a base. I posted the pictures on The High Road, so I won't waste CombatCarry's bandwidth - you can view them here.

Can you imagine trying to keep your weapons clean and serviceable in that lot??? :eek:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Take a peek folks - if you haven't seen one or been in one - this might just give some idea ... an amazing event and great pics. Thx Peter.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Cool Pics!

Thanks Preacherman!
You Said:
"Can you imagine trying to keep your weapons clean and serviceable in that lot???"
Not...to mention your lungs & eyes!
:usa2:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow...wild lookin' pics!! Reminds me of something out of "The Mummy"! I imagine your firearms would need a daily cleaning in that environment...big storm or not.

·
Registered
340 Posts
We used to get walls of sand similar to that here in AZ when a Monsoon would roll thru...not quite that big..but close....it would shut down freeways and airports...then the rains would come behind them and knock down power lines and such...we dont get too many of those anymore....

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
AZG23 said:
We used to get walls of sand similar to that here in AZ when a Monsoon would roll thru...not quite that big..but close....it would shut down freeways and airports...then the rains would come behind them and knock down power lines and such...we dont get too many of those anymore....
I was just about to say the same thing. Maybe not quite that dense a cloud, but we still get them coming up from the south sometimes. Coming back from California, the pilot came on and told us he was diverting a bit from the normal route to avoid what was outside the right side. It looked almost that bad. I always have to clean my pool filter when those things come through. :frown:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I'm in communications and we are rotating through a bunch of folks from the 'Stan and the sandbox. They are glad to finally be clean as that sand permeates everything. They are also reporting unique problems servicing the gear because of the sand in everything. The gear is in filtered shelters, but it just doesn't matter. I wouldn't even want to have to maintain mechanical stuff in that environment.

-Scott-

·
Registered
615 Posts
Wicked lookin pics there....yep right outta "The Mummy"....you could probably see what your car looked like "before" the paint job by driving into one of those. I think I'd keep a lot of plastic trash bags on hand. :smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
In Bahrain 30 years ago we had to very carefully cover all the vehicles parked outdoors during the annual dust/sandstorm season. The particles are so small they will sift in ANYWHERE, but gritty enough to scour a frost on unprotected window/lamp glass overnight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, those are some crazy pics. Thanks for sharing. So not only do our soldiers have to worry about terrorists, but also this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts