Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, Has anyone had any experience with the Kel-Tec
9mm ?
Thinking of getting one but can't find info on it.
Have a P3AT, But wife decided she owns it now after getting her CCW License.

Thanks
jim

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well I've shot the P-11, and it seems to be about like any kel-tec. It goes boom everytime, but it has an extremely long pull/reset and heavy trigger. The PF9 is supposed to be hitting the stores late August sometime. I'll probably get one of those when they have the Hard Chrome available.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Got it. Love it.

Just realize what this gun is. Small, light, long triggered, very concealable 9mm handgun.

It won't be the most accurate or most comfortable gun you will ever own, but for it's intended purpose it's perfect.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I've got the P11. I hate the trigger pull but otherwise it goes boom when you pull the trigger. I carry a Kahr P9 which I love but a much more expensive gun.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
I'll jump in about the trigger pull with everyone else. I don't have one, but my wife bought one to carry. After less than one full magazine she was complaining that she could not pull the trigger any more. She has had no problems with other DAO pistols, but she did with a S&W 638. I fired the rest of that mag and another hoping to get the trigger to loosen up some. By the time I got through with those I knew that it was not the trigger pull, but the trigger and trigger group that were her problem. The trigger might loosen up, but it was always going to be as long as it was and it was going to be a problem for her. I didn't tell her that. Instead I told her to try firing it some more. She fired about 2 more rounds and told me to sell it or take it to the gunshow I was going to in two weeks and trade it for something she could shoot. So my advice is to borrow or rent one and fire it. If you can live with the trigger and like the gun get one. If you can't live with the trigger forget it and wait on the PF9 which is supposed to have a much better trigger.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I know a guy who has one and he loves it. It's more accurate than I thought, highly concealable, and most important of all, it goes "bang" every time he pulls the trigger. Good gun made even better by its modest price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a P-11 for awhile and used it as my primary (I also have a P3AT). I never felt overly confident with my accuracy with it so I traded it off on a XD sudcompact 9. I never had any issues regarding reliabilty with the P-11, but I just couldn't steer it very well. As for the XD, it steers like a dream! Like others, I will be interested in seeing the PF-9 when it comes out, although I would want to wait before making a purchase to make sure all the manufacturing issues (If any) are ironed out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have one. Had it for 1.5 years now. Have ran about 8000 rounds (100 rounds a week) thru it. I feel very confident in it. I carry it everywhere. Great carry gun very easy to hide. I carry it most of the time in my front pocket. In an Uncle mike's pocket holster.
Yes the trigger pull is long, But if you shoot your carry gun you get use to your carry gun. And then it's all second nature to you.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have one also.I've had it now for about 6 years.It is a totaly reliable gun,light,easy to conceal and a great ccl pistol.The trigger is long and fairly hard,but you won't have to worry about it going off accidently.Once you get used to the trigger it is fine to shoot.I can tell by feel just before it breaks,so I take it to that point,aim,then shoot.It is also a pretty accurate little gun once you learn how to shoot it.sj

·
Super Moderator
17,550 Posts
Had one

It is a good small and light carry piece but due to problems with my right hand I just could not master that looooong heavy trigger. Did get a nice deal when I traded it for a Firestar 9MM though. If you go to www.KTOG.org their tech section has some suggestions for improving trigger pull.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had one for several years and gave it to my dad when I got my Kimber. It would beat the hell out of your hand to shoot any more than 50rds at a time and the trigger sucked but it never had a single problem unlike my $1000 Kimber. Great little guns. Don't hesitate to buy one.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I've got a P11, love it. Trigger pull is long but it has a lighter spring 8 pound I think. Very enjoyable to shoot. Have had no failures as yet.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Got one when they first came out, still have it, love it. Ugly, but 10 rounds of 9mm (15 with S&W mags) from something smaller than most .380s? Hard to beat for money, reliability and ugly...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Well, looks like it's up to me to spoil the party. I bought a P11 last year, when I realized that with the Vegas summers, I would need a pocket pistol. It is the biggest piece of trash (I would prefer to use another adjective, but I am substituting trash for decorum) that I have ever bought. It sits in my safe, and will probably never come out. Why do I hate this gun? well, let's begin:
1) The trigger pull is way too long. More than that, it's hard. Firing just 1 or 2 mags, rubs a blister on my finger. I had to wear Band-Aids on my index fingers just to be able to qualify with it for my CCW.
2) Reliability is poor. The first magazine, I had multiple failures to feed, failures to extract, stove piping, etc (FMJ ammo, not hollow points). My first range session, the gun jammed so badly that I had to have a gunsmith clear it.
3) Breakdown and reassembly is more difficult than it should be. I took mine apart to clean it, and I couldn't get the spring to compress enough for the reassembly. Embarrassed, I took it back to the gun shop for help. The owner, who carries a P11, had trouble with the reassembly.

Now, I had a "fluff and buff" done by the gunsmith when he cleared the jam. It did improve feeding. And, I could send it back to Kel-tec to have a better trigger installed. But quite frankly, if I need to do all that, I would rather just buy a better gun. Products should perform their basic function straight from the box. If I buy a TV, it may require some minor adjustment. But I should see a picture and hear sound. If it doesn't do that. it goes back. I shouldn't have to waste a C note on ammo just to have it perform correctly. I may have to experiment with different brands of hollow points to see what works best in the gun. But if it won't feed ball ammo, it doesn't do it's basic job. Regardless of the amount of improvement, I will never feel that I can trust my life to this gun. So, it will sit in my safe until either I can get close to what I paid for it back, or the if "the digestive waste product strikes the rotating oscillator", I can use it as a trade gun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I carry my P11 daily in warm weather with the belt clip, easy to conceal.
Yes I agree a long trigger pull that takes a little getting use to.
It is pretty accurate and recommend for close range.
Note when using the belt clip with a t-shirt tucked in you need to push the handle below the belt line to conceal, so a fast draw is not possible.
My P11 has been real reliable and will be keeping it for sometime yet.
When the weather is a little cooler then my XDSC .40 is the ticket for me with a light shirt over it.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
The p11 is a love it or hate it issue , I dont know which i am since i dont own one lol . The new pf9 single stack will appairently mirror the p11 for height and width but be thinner since single stack . ( again dont know cause it aint out yet lol ) . The exciting news IMHO for the pf9 is that it uses the p3at/p32 fire control . You loose second strike capibility but pick up from what i understand a much better trigger pull and weight .

Myself i went Kahr and have no regrets on that tho my cheap little p3at is not for sale or trade .

·
Registered
91 Posts
LOOOONG Trigger

I went to the local gun shop to buy a P11 from all the good things I heard about it. Came home with a Kahr CW-9. The trigger was just too loooong for me. Love the CW-9. Nice trigger compared to the P11.

Never heard any thing bad about the P11 except for the trigger. Good luck on your decision.

Mark :smile:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Squawker said:
Well, looks like it's up to me to spoil the party. I bought a P11 last year, when I realized that with the Vegas summers, I would need a pocket pistol. It is the biggest piece of trash (I would prefer to use another adjective, but I am substituting trash for decorum) that I have ever bought. It sits in my safe, and will probably never come out. Why do I hate this gun? well, let's begin:
1) The trigger pull is way too long. More than that, it's hard. Firing just 1 or 2 mags, rubs a blister on my finger. I had to wear Band-Aids on my index fingers just to be able to qualify with it for my CCW.
2) Reliability is poor. The first magazine, I had multiple failures to feed, failures to extract, stove piping, etc (FMJ ammo, not hollow points). My first range session, the gun jammed so badly that I had to have a gunsmith clear it.
3) Breakdown and reassembly is more difficult than it should be. I took mine apart to clean it, and I couldn't get the spring to compress enough for the reassembly. Embarrassed, I took it back to the gun shop for help. The owner, who carries a P11, had trouble with the reassembly.

Now, I had a "fluff and buff" done by the gunsmith when he cleared the jam. It did improve feeding. And, I could send it back to Kel-tec to have a better trigger installed. But quite frankly, if I need to do all that, I would rather just buy a better gun. Products should perform their basic function straight from the box. If I buy a TV, it may require some minor adjustment. But I should see a picture and hear sound. If it doesn't do that. it goes back. I shouldn't have to waste a C note on ammo just to have it perform correctly. I may have to experiment with different brands of hollow points to see what works best in the gun. But if it won't feed ball ammo, it doesn't do it's basic job. Regardless of the amount of improvement, I will never feel that I can trust my life to this gun. So, it will sit in my safe until either I can get close to what I paid for it back, or the if "the digestive waste product strikes the rotating oscillator", I can use it as a trade gun.
Sounds like you got a bad one. The one I had was totally reliable and easy to disassemble and reassemble. True the trigger sucks and you will get blisters shooting it but look what it is. It's a tiny under $300 carry weapon that holds 11rds of 9mm. What do you expect it to shoot like? If you sent it back Kel-Tec would have made it right. Hell I sent my Kimber back 4 times for them to get it right and it was nearly a grand.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
"Sounds like you got a bad one. The one I had was totally reliable and easy to disassemble and reassemble. True the trigger sucks and you will get blisters shooting it but look what it is. It's a tiny under $300 carry weapon that holds 11rds of 9mm. What do you expect it to shoot like? If you sent it back Kel-Tec would have made it right. Hell I sent my Kimber back 4 times for them to get it right and it was nearly a grand."
What do I expect it to shoot like? A GUN! You, know, pull the trigger, there's a loud noise, and a metal object comes out of the front. Had it done that each time that I pulled the trigger, then I would overlook all of the other short comings. I didn't buy it to target shoot- I would limit that to enough to stay proficient with the gun. Long trigger pull, blisters, etc would not matter if I was using it to save my life. Unfortunately, it would not fire reliably at the range. I will not trust my life to that gun. Yes, it's a $300 gun. But I didn't buy it because it was cheap. I could and would have spent more. I felt that I needed a thinner pocket gun that my Glock 26. It was the glowing reviews, such as many in this thread, that caused me to buy it, not the price. If I had any idea of the problems that I was about to face, I would have bought the Kahr. A reliable weapon at $300 is a good value. My gun, at $50, would not be. As far as sending it back to Kel-Tec, well, I just don't think that when I spend $300 for a new anything, that I should have to send it back to the factory to get it to perform it's basic function. I'm not talking about the trigger pull, or the blisters, or any of the other defects. I could send it back for those, and not be upset. But I shouldn't have to send it back to the factory just to make it go BOOM each time the trigger is pulled. I'm honestly very happy that yours has performed so well, and I truly hope that everyone else's will do the same. Funny thing is though, that when I've made a post lie this following numerous glowing reviews of the P11, I've gotten several more following mine simply saying that they had the same problem. Funny, on top of that. I've found that even though it's thick, the Glock 26 has done quite well as a pocket pistol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts