Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a P11 (9mm) sunday - $269 at gander Mountain.
Did a "Fluff n Buff" yesterday , went shooting today.

Did function test / break in with Rem UMC 115 gr , finished up
with Speer 115gr Gold Dots.

Some pics - then my review:

The P11 -

Some Range pics-

The Targets-

7 yards

more groups with FMJ ammo

Last group Gold Dots

AND ME!

The Review:

My Fluff and Buff consisted of a thorough cleaning , followed by
careful filing and sanding of the inside of the slide -rails - other
internal parts, and an outside barrel polish.

I also found it necessary to remove the plastic rear sight - sand the
edges smooth - and reinsert it to the center of the slide cut.
(it was mashed in crooked out of the box)

At the range I ran a couple mags of fmj through the gun slow
fire - then did two rapid 10rd mag dumps.
Functioning was 100% .

I then proceeded to shoot the groups shown above.

Since this is the LIGHTEST 9mm I have ever fired ( 14.4 oz. )
and has a heavy DAO trigger , the longest distance i fired was 15 yds.
Some were fired standing , and some from a bench.

For the final groups I fired Speer GDs at 7 yds.

I was very pleased with how the little P11 functioned (perfectly),
and while I am not a great shot, i am confident that this is a
very accurate pistol for its size and type.
( I just need LOTS of Practice)

Interestingly , I also own a Taurus Millenium 9mm , and the P11
internals and mag are VERY Similar to the Taurus.

I may do some more "Fluffing" ,( the trigger needs smoothing)
but I find the P11 to be a very
good buy , and more than capable of use for CCW!

Finally , when I picked up my stuff to leave , I found THIS rattling
around in the target box.

Must have hit a rock under the box !

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Great report and pics - thx a lot for that. :smilez:

I have to say, tho I used to have a P3-AT - the P11 is the one KT semi I would like to have in the collection and may yet pick one up - the price is very acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
nice report. i am sure once you get used to the gun , your groups will improve. Seems liek decent shooting anyway. I am considering a P3at for a pocket gun. doesn't seem too bad of trigger. Nice write up and pics to match, BTW.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
get the belt clip. great little gun. i love my p11. look at the kel-tec org site and do all the f&b that they have and the gun will turn into a great shooter.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Excellent report man! I've been thinking of getting one of those to replace my p32. I'd still keep it of course but I'd be more comfortable carrying the 9mm version.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was considering a P11 after doing some reading. To hear some more experienced shooters give a thumbs up makes me more confident in making a purchase. thanks!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nice gun. I have a P-40 and only shoot it in the winter so I can immediately put my hand in the snow! Enjoy your P-11.
John

·
Registered
602 Posts
I really enjoyed your post AND pictures..... What part of PA do you live? Thanks:congrats:

·
Registered
698 Posts
AKsrule,

It's really great to hear someone, other than myself, praise that little KT wonder gun. I have had mine for about 3 years now. I used to be my go everywhere, do everything gun. I would drop it into and Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster, and drop it into my right front pocket of just about anything I was wearing. Mine is accurate using 147gr. Federal HydraShoks. I was never able to get it to group well with the lighter bullets. The tradeoff was that it really kicks with the big bullets. I did not buy this gun for everyday shooting so that is not an issue. I have over 1500 rounds through mine, no fluff & buff and no problems. I might do the full fluff & buff in the future. www.ktog.org has the full process with pictures that have arrows pointing to the areas that need attention.
My KT, however, has been replaced as my everywhere gun by my Taurus PT-145, simply due to caliber selection. I want my BUG caliber to match my Primary CCW caliber. However the KT is in the pocket, of my robe, hanging from the post of my bed, at the headboard. I sleep better at night knowing the little KT is there if I need it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Great report...thanks for putting the time in and letting us know about your P11 experience. I just picked up a P3AT....nice little pocket guns those kel tecs!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Useful P-11 accesories

Consider the pinky finger magazine attachments for your P-11 magazines. They really make holding the gun more comfortable. I also like the smooth trigger shoe. The belt clip is my preferred carry method. All these items can be ordered from Kel-Tec at very reasonable prices. Add a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve and do the fluff and buff from the KTOG site and you will have a great little carry pistol.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Thanks for the excellent report AK....if I didn't have two Kahr 9mm's, I'd get one of those P11's.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Excellent report thanks for sharing. What a beautiful range! Looks like a great carry gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few things. All Kel-tecs improve with range time. You can speed the process by polishing the trigger bar. If you really want a nice smooth trigger, a full disassembly and polish the hammer, the trigger bar, the area under the trigger bar, the trigger ball and all other surfaces in the trigger group. My P-11 and my P3AT are very very smooth and predictable.

Use a low weight bullet and the recoil is more controllable. I've chosen Speer Gold Dot in 115g for my carry.

My preference is for the P-40, the P-11 converted to 40 S&W. You can still find the conversions around.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do any of you P11 concealed carriers out there carry in your front pocket? If so do you have some pics of it concealed to share? I am looking into getting one, but don't want it to be detected.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts