Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my local gun store today thinking about a pocket gun in 9MM...

Looked at a KT P11 that really seemed to fit the bill, but am not able to shoot there and haven't heard anything good or bad about them.

Anyone on here have the skinny...?

·
Banned
123 Posts
Own one, shoot it quite a bit, carry it sometimes. Good gun for the money, fit my hand better than the PF9, and very reliable for me so far.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have a P-11 and I like it. I would recommend you shoot one before purchase to make sure you like the trigger.

·
Super Moderator
18,002 Posts
Had one also, never could get used to the long hard trigger pull and traded it for a Ruger Security Six. I did run a couple of hundred rounds through it with no problems reliability wise just because of the trigger I could not hit the side of a barn from inside.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input so far paople.

I noted the long pull in the store, but it didn't seem any harder than the .38sp snubby that has been my BUG for years.

Unfortunately, there is no gun store in my little city of 25K pop that has a range any more.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
The thinner gun would have been more sensible, but I likewise decided to buy the P-11 [my first Kel-Tec] for the ten 9mm bullets. I guess that it could and would not hurt to take it somewhere and shoot it, just to see if it works.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
i got one and it is a good gun. i would go over to the two kel tec forums to read up on them.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Have one, but after only a year the ejector pin broke turning it into a single shot at best. Police trade-in glocks aren't much more.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If the P-11 is anything like my PF-9, it'll be a good gun. :hand10:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice to see this thread, I was just taking a look at these the other day.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a P-11, for about 3years, and carry it as a BUG on duty and some off duty when I need to go small.... It is carried most of the time with a +2 mag extension and makes it a P-13. Trigger sucks, but the lowest I have ever qualifited with it is 90%, will keep all rounds at 25 yards in the torso. It is carried as for one reason. I shoot it maybe 2 to 4 times a year when a friend wants to try it other than the 50 round once a year. One thing about mine it feeds and fires anything you put in the mag. After a big state match a few years ago I pick up about 100 live rounds off the ground after the match there must have been 10 different kinds of bullets and all kinds of different power loads, the little P11 fired everything, only did not cycle on two very very light loads.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Probably not a 'bad' gun, I had one and sold it. I did not like the looooooooong trigger pull, but you CAN get used to that. Got the Glock-26 instead...a mountain of difference.OMO:bier:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably not a 'bad' gun, I had one and sold it. I did not like the looooooooong trigger pull, but you CAN get used to that. Got the Glock-26 instead...a mountain of difference.OMO:bier:
My primary is a G19 and this is replacing a .38 snubbie BUG...and sometimes will be "only" in the summer when even a Glock is hard to conceal.

I'm thinking the trigger pull didn't seem all that different than the DA wheel gun...but I could be wrong...comments JAG?

By the way, I really appreciate the input here.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've had mine for well over 9 years and can't remember it ever malfunctioning. Now I don't run alot through it, but I do shoot it at least a half dozen times a year to stay in tune with it, since I do carry it when I'm on the bike.

For some reason I hate the Glock trigger, but this P11 trigger I can live with. It is kinda long, but at 15-20yrds I can keep all rounds center of mass.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I have a P11,sumpin about 12+1 in a small package warms my heart,I carry it when I want sumpin lighter than my 1911

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
The P11 was one of my original carry guns. It made a great combo with my S&W 6946 (my primary at the time) because they can use the same S&W mags. So you can get the 15 round 59 or 12 round 69xx mags to shoot and they function perfectly in the gun.

The P11 does have a long trigger that does lighten up. You can dry fire it but I would recommend snap caps. Mine shoots anything in the 115 to 124 grain loadings with no problem with JHPs. The 147 longer trunkated nose rounds can hang up on the feed ramp.

Hope this helps. I would love to buy another for the right price for BOB guns.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I like them but settled on the PF9 because of the thinness and better trigger, though it is not as smooth as a good DA revolver. PF9 is a 7 + 1 so I gave up 4 rounds. honestly if I was considering a P11 i would probably be looking more at an XD or Glock... if it were me... (giving up an 1/8 inch in width and 4-5 oz) I just prefer single stacks... so the PF9 was a good fit. Shoot it and see how you like it.

·
Banned
123 Posts
To behonest I really had'nt noticed the trigger pull being any longer / heavier than most small DA guns. Maybe I havent tried enough small DA autos.

Anyway, I sometimes carry a AMT BU 45 and that T pull compared to the P11 is much worse in my opinion. You really have to work to make that gun fire.

I figure I wont really notice the good or bad TP if and when the S...t ever hits the fan with any gun.

Try them out if you can before purchase to make sure you like it...Good Luck

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Own one, shoot it quite a bit, carry it sometimes. Good gun for the money, fit my hand better than the PF9, and very reliable for me so far.
The thinner gun would have been more sensible, but I likewise decided to buy the P-11 [my first Kel-Tec] for the ten 9mm bullets. I guess that it could and would not hurt to take it somewhere and shoot it, just to see if it works.
I have a P-11 and I like it. I would recommend you shoot one before purchase to make sure you like the trigger.
YEP!!!!^^^^^^^^

Yes the trigger pull is hard.
It is a SD firearm, Not a range Pistol.
Mine stock pistol has fired 400 + rounds thru, flawlessly, and I can hit point of aim or close enough (3in.) or so, from 15- 20 feet.
In my opinion this is what a SD firearm should do.
Does my Dan wesson, or S&W M&P shoot better?, yes
But as for lightweight, amt. of rnds. this fits the bill

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

1 - 20 of 29 Posts