Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a Kel Tec P3AT, and found some Pow'R Ball 70 gr ammo, and was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with this ammo in a P3AT?

Considering taking the 70gr back to store and looking for other 380 with higher gr. count, hoping for deeper penetration with more gr. count.

My P3AT eats everything I have feed it, but was wondering about the ball in the HP if it would cause problems?

·
Registered
921 Posts
but was wondering about the ball in the HP if it would cause problems?
Can't say about the 380 but the ball helps with the feed and expansion.
It's rated at + P and should give the 70gr a lot of velocity/energy.

The ball also aids in expansion as you can see the dished out part of the lead from the ball on impact. I did a few water jug tests shots over the weekend with .45 ACP. Nice expansion every time but it shed it's jacket also each time but that's not a deal breaker for me. The destruction of the first water jug was impressive actually spraying me with water 25' away. The Hydra Shok's I tested didn't have near a much impact on the jugs and lost it's jacket about 50% of the time.

I know the 380 and the 45 are on two different ends of the scale but they may work well with your Kel Tec. One thing for sure there some hot rounds!

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Test them to be sure. I tried PowRBall in my wife's LCP and it actually jammed the pistol! The top round in the mag would get a "smiley" cut into the polymer nose under recoil by a sharp corner in the frame right under the feed ramp, and would jam the action.

Hornady Critical Defense and FMJ feed just fine, and are what I use.

Not sure if the P3at has the same issue with PowRBall, but I would test it to be sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts